Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Mar 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydiamond
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

San Diego

Starting to plan my trip for August next year. Will be staying a few nights in the Hollywood area, before driving down to Disney for 4 nights, then on to san Diego for a few days. Which area in San Diego would people recommend staying with 2 kids (10&6). We want somewhere reasonably lively, but not 24 hour loud. We want to go to the zoo, the beach and maybe sea world, but open to other ideas.
disneydiamond is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We stayed in Pacific Beach which we loved! Have a look at my SoCal trippy for more details!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Island Palms which is in a very nice area on Shelter Island. We did have some initial issues with the room, but they dealt with it well. We would be happy to stay there again.

San Diego is a compact city, so nowhere is too far away.

Not sure if you are aware of Aims' San Diego sticky thread at the top of this board. It has loads of excellent information including comparisons of areas to stay and hotels.

Happy planning.

Edited at 10:11 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydiamond
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Thank you. Will have a look.
disneydiamond is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi disneydiamond As tocpe321 pointed out, I have a San Diego trip planning thread at the top of this forum (link also in my signature below). I live in the area and I am always glad to help answer any questions about San Diego.

Both Pacific Beach and Shelter Island are lovely locations close to a lot of the action. Shelter Island is closer to downtown and right near the airport. Pacific Beach will be a more lively location overall, as most places near the beaches are... Shelter Island is on the bay, it’s a small peninsula surrounded by boat marinas and has a more tranquil setting, but it’s a short drive or Uber into the city center. The hotel tocpe321 recommended, Best Western Island Palms, is located on Shelter Island. Liberty Station is a neighborhood next to Shelter Island, it’s a bustling little community with lots of food places and nice parks- very pretty little area by the airport. They just opened a brand new Hampton Inn & Suites in Liberty Station (free breakfasts are included).

Contact me anytime if I can help.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We stayed at the Best Western Yacht Harbour in Point Loma. There was plenty of restaurants nearby but it is in a quiet location.
We drove to the Zoo, Safari Park and Sea World from there and when we wanted to go over to marina or Gaslamp areas we left the car at the hotel and got an Uber round, which was about $10. We probably would have paid more than that for parking.

Corvette Diner is a great place to eat and not too far from the hotel
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List