Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 7 May 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

At loggerheads over CBR & POR decision made

We have been to POR twice before and really love it! Due to budget we was thinking CBR for next year because the cost difference (earlier this year) was around £300. So looking at CBR, the new skyline, new old portrayal, great pool I got excited about CBR.
In release day there were no rooms at CBR so we booked POR which we are more than happy with.
However a standard room at CBR is now available, after admin fee it will be £170 cheaper. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things but £170 is £170 at the end of the day and could be used on other things.
I think my youngest son (he will be 6) will love the pool and splash area/broken ship & slide at CBR.
I assume with the new old port royal will still have lanterns hanging (or lights that look like lanterns) they look so cute!
But my daughter things CBR looks cheap compared to POR.
I hear you can’t swap your drink for a desert at CBR? This seems silly when you have a refill mug and we like our deserts! But I don’t assume we will be eating there that often.
We love the boat to DS but CBR will have the new skyline so considering it’s not too busy when it’s up & running that could be fun.
So we are going round in circles. Both boys don’t care where we stay as long as they are in orlando lol, my husband just says it’s up to me. But my daughter aka fuss pot is concerned about the theming or lack of it.
Saying that she has not looked properly into it as she is studying for her GCSE’s
So comparing food, transport, theming, pool & general vibe of the resort what do you think.

In a side note, as a miserable old g*t I like peace & quiet in the evenings, we have always found POR lovely and quiet, never had anyone shouting, drunk & singing late at night lol (we had this at YC)

Sorry lovestoplan, I have already asked you this 🤭🤭 I am such a stress head 😂😂

Edited at 06:08 PM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I suppose if you have stayed at POR twice previously, a change would be nice. Also as you said, the new skyline will be a novelty. It is a pretty resort.

That said, it was my least favorite Disney resort. I much prefered POR.

Why does choosing a resort always seem so hard 😂 I do the call to swopover every year 😂
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi 👋🏻 I’m not sure I can be of much help on practical level, but I am certainly very sympathetic... we had a very similar situation... booked early for cbr, had set our heart on it really, then no free dining for our dates, so swapped to por. I was very happy with that but something just kept mithering me - after daily checking cbr became available. I kept going round in circles so many pros and cons for both... It has actually cost us £100 but we decided to switch back to cbr and I am so happy with this decision. It’s harder for you as you have 2 child to consider, but in the end I just thought what is the main priority for us for the holiday... it was access to the parks and excitement for dd - with the new skyliner I’m hoping that cbr comes out top for both 🤞🏼 Good luck deciding!
Old 7 May 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We were trying to decide between POR (stayed there before and loved it) and CBR (to try somewhere different and also access to the Skyliner as we are only hiring a car for part of our trip). The choice was made for us as free dining wasn't offered at POR for our dates, so we booked CBR.

I always rejected the idea of CBR in the past as I didn't like the 'look' of it, but looking at more recent videos I think that Disney really improved the look and feel of the resort.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

If it was me I'd work out what the priorities are and pick based on those. Work out how much time you will spend at the pool or what affect the theming will have on your holiday experience. For my kids the pool and slides are the top of the list. We loved CBR and are returning for our 2nd time in August. The resort is beautiful and themed just like you are in the Caribbean with tropical plants, beaches, hammocks and swing seating. I had no problem with noise in the evening.
We know we dont often eat in the hotel and when we do I will either get an alcoholic drink or bottles for later. We always have so many credits left i dont mind an extra few on ice creams for dessert if the kids want it. POR looks lovely and I would love to stay there but I think we have found our home in CBR.
Old 7 May 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

My head is spinning! I think we will have a fabulous time no matter where we stay.
Now CBR is finished are there still the lanterns? And if so where are they? Round the food court or near the rooms?
Thanks

Edited at 09:04 PM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

This is what I mean, I think they look really romantic
Old 7 May 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Last time I was there it was just the food tent so I haven't seen centertown finished in person. I dont recall seeing these lanterns in up to date pictures. Hopefully someone who has been recently will be able to help
Old 7 May 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
fleurbie
Apprentice Imagineer

I think any Disney hotel is going to be lovely, having said that we stayed at POR on our first trip and loved it but we also stayed at CBR and it feels a bit more central, its also good to have a change as it feels like a different holiday, ontop of that CBR looks really great since the renovations, have a look on you tube there's some really good reviews plus the skylinners will msje journy time to HS And Epcot much quicker.
But what ever you chose will be good 😆
Nov 19 CBR, September 22 BRV, BWV 💕
fleurbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
This is what I mean, I think they look really romantic
If they were there before the refurb, I really don't recall them, so they didn't make a huge impact Honestly, I wouldn't base a decision about which resort to stay at on one decorative feature that you probably won't notice that much in reality. It's a lovely resort with a great pool and the refurb work looks great. We had no problem with noise, and love the fact that there's a lot more outside seating space at CBR, whereas it's virtually non-existant at POR.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List