Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jan 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Only if each parent is “registered” with the school. My daughter who is separated from her partner, is the only parent on the school details as my ex SIL didn’t want to be contacted? Same with m step grandson, his mother is the contact not my SIL
As the fine is issued by the local council, not the school, then I would guess it depends on whether the local council has details of each parent, not the school.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Once your child is registered at a school, each parent, individually, is legally responsible for making sure they go regularly. Hence fines for both whether they are together or not.

(That word "regularly" is a bit of a grey area.)
You need to speak to the school/local La who issue the fines as its not always your choice when you have a child who is in the care of the other parent when they miss school. My ex took ds out of school against my wishes so when I received a fine I explained the situation and they overturned it. If you are the non resident parent then its not fair to be penalised for a choice the resident parent make.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
You need to speak to the school/local La who issue the fines as its not always your choice when you have a child who is in the care of the other parent when they miss school. My ex took ds out of school against my wishes so when I received a fine I explained the situation and they overturned it. If you are the non resident parent then its not fair to be penalised for a choice the resident parent make.
Local Authorities issue fines not schools.
Old 10 Jan 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
catherine p
Helping Minnie

We’ve been very lucky, we’ve been many times and been lucky enough to be granted every time I’ve requested the time, with my daughter having 100% attendance even appointments are done during the holidays or after school so that it doesn’t effect her attendance.
But I really do think it’s down to school.
catherine p is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Phone in sick? That's what we did last year...

Our 6 year old went back to school and told her teacher first day she'd been to see Mickey. At the parents evening, the teacher was laughing.

Saves hassle with the LA I guess
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Fimble
Proud to wear my Ears

It's unfortunate to read the stories of some of you who have met resistance or fines. Powers to prevent repeat offenders of child non attendance would be good but this punishes everyone and creates animosity between parents and schools.

I am 'lucky' in that i live in a very deprived area where most of us can't afford to holiday often, and never during holiday times so most if not all the schools I know of happily approve holiday absences. Luckily my kids are in such a school where the head teacher is very supportive of the parents and uses the guidelines as they are, guides.

Though Ł120 compared to the price hikes during school holidays is more absorbable.

Edited at 11:33 AM.
Fimble is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

The head of my youngests school used to approve holidays. She was understanding of the fact that the many of the people there couldnt afford a holiday, never mind one in the school holidays. I remember talking to her and she said how important family time was, and that for many a Ł90 sun holiday would mean so much, she couldnt take that opportunity away. Unfortunately she was forced into the school becoming an academy and now is unable to approve anything - no exceptions at all for any leave of absence requests. It's sad I think.
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

We are the same as many other parents. I told reception that i need a holiday request form, i filled it in, handed it to the head teacher. I got a letter back saying its unauth and to expect a fine. I heard nothing from the LA and no fine given. Kids had 97% approx attendance and i took them out of school for 3 days. I will do it again (for 3 days), creating memories and a healthy school attendance can be balanced x
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MTEC
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by kitjos View Post
We are the same as many other parents. I told reception that i need a holiday request form, i filled it in, handed it to the head teacher. I got a letter back saying its unauth and to expect a fine. I heard nothing from the LA and no fine given. Kids had 97% approx attendance and i took them out of school for 3 days. I will do it again (for 3 days), creating memories and a healthy school attendance can be balanced x
Completely agree. It's gone a bit over the top hasn't it. Yes education is important, however so is travelling and making memories with family.
A few year back my eldest didn't get his authorised but no fine. My younger kids were much younger then. The teachers said he came home a different kid. Ready and eager to learn. They said the break did him a world of good.
MTEC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mum24children
Excited about Disney

teacher input

As a teacher I would always advise against taking children out of school at certain times. The beginning of the year is vital. Imagine starting a course and missing the first two sessions. Everyone has made friends and split into groups. The basics have all been explained. Systems have been set up and routines established. It is very difficult for children to feel as though they fit in properly if they miss an early part of the year. Also avoid assessment times. These set up the children for their next session of learning. If the school doesn't have relevant and recent data they struggle to place children correctly and this can have a major impact. This is primary that I'm talking about. I currently teach year 4.
mum24children is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List