Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Jun 18, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Doing Orlando without a car?

So, am thinking of not having a care for next year. Never thought I would consider this but as we are doing Universal and Disney, would be great to keep costs down, an SUV with Alamo Brits is £600.

Normally would always have a car as like driving there plus the flexibility, head straight to hotel from parks, not reliant on buses etc... can nip to Florida Mall or anywhere else. This time though there is also car parking costs each day at Universal (probably staying at Rosen which has a shuttle). Also, as my son likes American cars, I am tempted to hire something like a Dodge Challenger (muscle car) for a day for a trip out to Kennedy, its too much to get that for the 2 weeks!

We normally like to be at the parks at opening, normally there till after lunch, then back to hotel, and often then head back out to a park in the evening.

How frequent are the buses from resorts such as CSR or POR, is it easy to nip to Springs in this way? On big downside is how busy these buses will be at closing time in Epcot or MK.

For transferring to Rosen and for trips to MCO and Florida Mall, we would just Uber.
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

If it's just three of you, do you really need an SUV?
If you cost it out even with several off site trips Uber is probably more economical than hiring a car for most of the trip. ... if ID shuttles are at a cost three shuttle tickets may be as much as an uber.
It isn't clear where you are staying , I presumed a split stay ?
We've hired a Mustang for three days for £135 to give you an idea of having a fun car .
Buses back to the resorts at close do tend to be busy and you may not always get on the first bus but plenty of people find it very manageable and arguably at MK still quicker than getting back to a parked car.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
If it's just three of you, do you really need an SUV?
If you cost it out even with several off site trips Uber is probably more economical than hiring a car for most of the trip. ... if ID shuttles are at a cost three shuttle tickets may be as much as an uber.
It isn't clear where you are staying , I presumed a split stay ?
We've hired a Mustang for three days for £135 to give you an idea of having a fun car .
Buses back to the resorts at close do tend to be busy and you may not always get on the first bus but plenty of people find it very manageable and arguably at MK still quicker than getting back to a parked car.
2ad and 2ch (11/8) plus luggage. Did think about Mustang but too small! Not booked yet, staying at a Disney moderate for 9 nights and then probably Rosen Inn.
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Definitely not a Mustang , you'd never fit your luggage in !
With four Uber will probably be better value than shuttles , you'll only need Uber to from the airport one way as you can use Magical Express one way .
If you are only doing Disney when staying on site then you could definitely make it work with a one day hire for KSC only .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

We travelled with three kids and two adults and usually got a full size without a problem. You do not need an SUV. We actually did one long trip with a compact (Nissan Sentra, quite a few years ago). Flew into LAX, waited in line for two hours for the rental, finally got there and they did not have a full size or intermediate so took the compact (it's what we had at home).

I just rented a Sentra and my DS was amazed at how large the trunk was.

If you want a car and to save money, you do not need an SUV.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
We travelled with three kids and two adults and usually got a full size without a problem. You do not need an SUV. We actually did one long trip with a compact (Nissan Sentra, quite a few years ago). Flew into LAX, waited in line for two hours for the rental, finally got there and they did not have a full size or intermediate so took the compact (it's what we had at home).

I just rented a Sentra and my DS was amazed at how large the trunk was.

If you want a car and to save money, you do not need an SUV.
To be fair the saving is only around £50 on a full size and 100 on a compact.
Old 13 Jun 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
truckergaz
Earning More Ears

I got a lovely Challenger last year from Alamo at Sanford,340 quid all inc... loved it...what a beast...
truckergaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List