Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jan 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Return of the Ibis

When we arrived here last week we were sad to see no signs of wildlife on our lake. However as it has warmed up up we have seen turtles in the lake, ducks and now the Ibis are back. We counted 20 the other day but we have la little group who always shelter under our small palm tree. I took these pictures today from in our actual pool.

Edited at 11:44 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Lovely pics and view.

What do you call a group of Ibis? They look like a "pose" of Ibis to me. Or possibly a "gossip" of Ibis...

Why no wildlife on your lake though? Is that normal seasonal variation?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Sue
frazer Crane and family according to our snow birds are back too as are Mr & Mrs AR Adillo and Mr F Panther stopped out all night and was seen crawling home just before Dawn via the dry retention area at the back of our villa this morning
And Sammy Squirrel was soakedwith the water pistol ( the squirrels are. Cute but they rip the pool screens invade the lofts and can be vicious if people feed them and others don’t
Florida wildlife is as diverse as Uk wild. life last year loads of the little geckos lizards really suffered inthe cold snap some species even went into a sudo hibernation falling out of trees and needed extra care as did manatees Sea World rescues cared for and rehabilitated and releases record numbers last year
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Lovely pics and view.

What do you call a group of Ibis? They look like a "pose" of Ibis to me. Or possibly a "gossip" of Ibis...

Why no wildlife on your lake though? Is that normal seasonal variation?
I would guess a flock. But is the plural Ibis or ibises?

I imagine the reason for no wildlife was the cold weather, although I do wonder where they go. We have never been here so early in the year before, that's retirement for you.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 01:53 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Sue
frazer Crane and family according to our snow birds are back too as are Mr & Mrs AR Adillo and Mr F Panther stopped out all night and was seen crawling home just before Dawn via the dry retention area at the back of our villa this morning
And Sammy Squirrel was soakedwith the water pistol ( the squirrels are. Cute but they rip the pool screens invade the lofts and can be vicious if people feed them and others don’t
Florida wildlife is as diverse as Uk wild. life last year loads of the little geckos lizards really suffered inthe cold snap some species even went into a sudo hibernation falling out of trees and needed extra care as did manatees Sea World rescues cared for and rehabilitated and releases record numbers last year
Yes we have all the little lizards sunning themselves on the screen and we have been visited by a squirrel so we are waiting for a couple of new bottom screens - Dave has taped up the hole for now. I'm afraid we love the squirrels both here and at home so no squirting from us. They are very tame and our guests are always taken with them. We also saw two sand cranes strolling about like they own the place. Funniest thing I ever saw with them was wandering around the bank car park, absolutely surreal.

You have a Panther?

Edited at 02:13 AM.
Old 16 Jan 20, 02:24 AM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Helen, that's really good news if it is a Fl panther, they are endangered and have low numbers. Florida Fish and Wildlife do ask for people to report sightings.

Sue, your photos are fab, I love your view!
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 02:36 AM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

This was just before Christmas, a juvenile squirrel who was very curious.

angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 03:02 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Sue, some on the island claim Ibis taste like chicken, hence their name 'Florida chicken'. Same with island peacocks, previously if they walked into a island certain area apparently their safety from the pot wasn't guaranteed either. Classy huh!
Old 16 Jan 20, 03:27 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Sue, some on the island claim Ibis taste like chicken, hence their name 'Florida chicken'. Same with island peacocks, previously if they walked into a island certain area apparently their safety from the pot wasn't guaranteed either. Classy huh!
Not much meat on Ibis Chris. I believe Peacock is eaten by the landed gentry, does not appeal to me at all, but then I won't eat duck if I can help it.
Old 16 Jan 20, 03:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Not much meat on Ibis Chris. I believe Peacock is eaten by the landed gentry, does not appeal to me at all, but then I won't eat duck if I can help it.
Any amount of meat would feed those with no money, especially if they caught more than one, needs must for some perhaps. Peacock or duck we don't eat, had a beautiful white peacock around here for years, until it was run over and killed.