Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 Jul 21, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Fort Lauderdale to Bahamas Ferry

Has anyone taken the day ferry from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Freeport, Bahamas?

We are doing a road trip of Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Miami (fingers crossed) in October and have just come across this. We’d love to go for the day if possible, so just wondering if anyone else has done it and can provide any insight as to what we could realistically do in Freeport for the day, near the port, and what the journey is like.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

You can swim with the pigs or dolphins in Freeport.
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would jump in a taxi to Port Lucaya or my personal favourite on the island Gold Rock Beach (it is absolutely stunning).

Google Gold Rock Beach and you will see what I mean
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
timnlaura
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Has anyone taken the day ferry from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Freeport, Bahamas?

We are doing a road trip of Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Miami (fingers crossed) in October and have just come across this. We’d love to go for the day if possible, so just wondering if anyone else has done it and can provide any insight as to what we could realistically do in Freeport for the day, near the port, and what the journey is like.
I have been interested in doing similar but i cant get the cost lower than just under $700 for the 4 of us.
timnlaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Be interested in doing this. Keep us posted

Found this
m.baleariacaribbean/home...&Clave=MGKWNDC

Also have you thought about parking at the airport and getting a flight. Similar cost to the ferry

Edited at 02:53 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Be interested in doing this. Keep us posted

Found this
m.baleariacaribbean/home...&Clave=MGKWNDC

Also have you thought about parking at the airport and getting a flight. Similar cost to the ferry
Yes, that’s where I’ve been looking! Seems to be $360 for two adults for the day which with the current exchange rate to be honest wouldn’t be that bad.

I think we want to do the ferry for the scenery.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
I would jump in a taxi to Port Lucaya or my personal favourite on the island Gold Rock Beach (it is absolutely stunning).

Google Gold Rock Beach and you will see what I mean
I’ve just been looking at here! Looks like they’re both close together?

Would it be feasible to get a taxi (are they expensive?) from the port to there relatively easily, or would it be better to pre-book? Does it take long?

I have googled and while I can see it on the map, it’s not giving me the travel time! It looks like the ferry would arrive at 11.30 and leave again at 18.30.

Doing this would also cut costs as we’d just be paying for taxi and the $5 entry fee…
Old 17 Jul 21, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
I’ve just been looking at here! Looks like they’re both close together?

Would it be feasible to get a taxi (are they expensive?) from the port to there relatively easily, or would it be better to pre-book? Does it take long?

I have googled and while I can see it on the map, it’s not giving me the travel time! It looks like the ferry would arrive at 11.30 and leave again at 18.30.

Doing this would also cut costs as we’d just be paying for taxi and the $5 entry fee…
Sorry about the delayed reply orlandoamber.

I flew into Grand Bahama from Nassau and it was a few years ago but I did travel to both ends of the island from Port Lucaya. As far as I remember the trip from PL to the port would be no more than 30 mins and the same for PL to Gold Rock Beach. I went part of the way from PL to Gold Rock by kayak through mangroves so considerably slower than using the roads. I was provided with transport so didn't have to drive or pay for taxis so sorry can't give you $ costs.

If you go ahead I hope you have a lovely day and if you do head to Gold Rock grab some sandwiches and pop for a picinic.

Edited to add - the cruise company may offer organised trips but suspect they would be expensive and maybe not what you want to do.

Edited at 08:24 AM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Sorry about the delayed reply orlandoamber.

I flew into Grand Bahama from Nassau and it was a few years ago but I did travel to both ends of the island from Port Lucaya. As far as I remember the trip from PL to the port would be no more than 30 mins and the same for PL to Gold Rock Beach. I went part of the way from PL to Gold Rock by kayak through mangroves so considerably slower than using the roads. I was provided with transport so didn't have to drive or pay for taxis so sorry can't give you $ costs.

If you go ahead I hope you have a lovely day and if you do head to Gold Rock grab some sandwiches and pop for a picinic.

Edited to add - the cruise company may offer organised trips but suspect they would be expensive and maybe not what you want to do.
Thank you so much! It’s always great to hear from someone who has done something similar

I’m tempted to hire a car for the day so we can visit a few different spots, or get a private tour guide/chauffeur to take us to a few stops - we did this in Mauritius and it was fab.

If we get there I’ll probably do a bit of a trip report, so I’ll report back for anyone interested in how the ferry/day goes!
Old 17 Jul 21, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
I spent a few days there and covered all the island from West End (where John Travolta's house was) to Pelican Point at the other end of the island.

This was before Grand Bahama and the nearby Abacos Islands suffered Hurricane Dorian in 2019- even GB airport was flooded.