Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jan 20, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
The crux of the matter is that the form is broken. Nobody should have to click a question mark next to a box unless they need help, which for first given name most people do not need help, hopefully. They just need to add an 's' to the form. If it wasn't broken there there wouldn't be so many people having problems filling it in. And im talking thousands of people here not one or two.

These threads always get derailed because people panic and come here looking for reassurance but are faced with the same condescending tones "well it's clearly marked", "you should click every single question mark".

The form is broken. Nobody needs to argue about it. We know the official line is enter your middle name.
I beg to differ - the form is not broken I's just that folks are not reading the form and it could not be any clearer. Just put in the information from your passport, not what you "think" should go in.

I completed both of our ESTA's yesterday, with passports in my hand, in about 10mins and were approved inside 15 mins.

Why all the debate about a form? I just don't get it.
Old 20 Jan 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Mobile

The crux of the matter is that the form is broken. Nobody should have to click a question mark next to a box unless they need help, which for first given name most people do not need help, hopefully. They just need to add an 's' to the form. If it wasn't broken there there wouldn't be so many people having problems filling it in. And im talking thousands of people here not one or two.

These threads always get derailed because people panic and come here looking for reassurance but are faced with the same condescending tones "well it's clearly marked", "you should click every single question mark".

The form is broken. Nobody needs to argue about it. We know the official line is enter your middle name.
The official ESTA application isn't broken, the DHS have now updated the application 3 times, perhaps in an attempt to ensure applicants thoroughly read following the apparent large amount of emails they receive. Firstly their requirements were behind a '?' one had to hover over, then they added a large, explicit, 'Sample Passport' diagram and text, finally they placed a window that opens automatically when one clicks to complete the First (Given) Name question, plus there's post completion re-check options before submitting. There's very little else the DHS can do if applicants continue to ignore all and incorrectly complete.
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Our estas - which I completed without middle names - are about to expire. I've travelled on them without middle names twice and not had any problem whatsoever.

If I have the need to fill a new one in I will supply my middle name then

As someone said early in this thread there have been a lot of threads started and commented on about this.

I'm not aware of anyone on the dibb (or elsewhere) being turned away at CBP due to missing name gate !
Old 20 Jan 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
The official ESTA application isn't broken, the DHS have now updated the application 3 times, perhaps in an attempt to ensure applicants thoroughly read following the apparent large amount of emails they receive. Firstly their requirements were behind a '?' one had to hover over, then they added a large, explicit, 'Sample Passport' diagram and text, finally they placed a window that opens automatically when one clicks to complete the First (Given) Name question, plus there's post completion re-check options before submitting. There's very little else the DHS can do if applicants continue to ignore all and incorrectly complete.
They could just include a middle name 'box'.

I've completed quite a few US immigration and tax forms in the last 10 years and they ALL included a specific space for middle name or initial. Their reluctance to do so with the ESTA form is baffling and is at the heart of this ongoing saga.

Edited at 11:32 AM.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I hadn't seen the more recent changes to the form which make it clearer with the pop up boxes. When referring to the form being broken I was talking about the need to click the question mark as it previously was. The fact that they have updated it three times and still haven't put an s on given name is still crazy.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
memphis69
Very Serious Dibber

Just done 4 all approved with no middle names i did not see any pop up box
what should i do now!
memphis69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by memphis69 View Post
Just done 4 all approved with no middle names i did not see any pop up box
what should i do now!
The official line if you ring them is to reapply so that the ESTAs match your passports. The anecdotal reports on here say that people aren’t being turned away if the middle names are missing. It’s up to you to decide what you want to do now with that information. I went for reapplying - thinking they’ll start enforcing it at some time and I just didn’t want the worry of them starting with us!
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Our estas - which I completed without middle names - are about to expire. I've travelled on them without middle names twice and not had any problem whatsoever.

If I have the need to fill a new one in I will supply my middle name then

As someone said early in this thread there have been a lot of threads started and commented on about this.

I'm not aware of anyone on the dibb (or elsewhere) being turned away at CBP due to missing name gate !
Correct BB, the DHS have yet to enforce, if/when they do only they know if they'll apply a forward date, as they did with the 72 hour rule (written in a red banner on their home page). It's two years by 2020 end since the DHS first applied given name update, some speculate they may enforce thereafter.

What may be concerning for some; boarding denied will/may occur at check-in as it's they who confirm travel doc match and whilst one can immediately ESTA reapply, due to the 72 hour rule they may be required to change departure. I don't think anybody will lose their holiday but could be delayed until their ESTA complies with DHS rules.

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Perhaps, if one holds a first and 2+ middle names, the DHS made provision to enter on one line whereas a 'middle name' box may only hold one.

This DHS update may assist some who take a Secondary tug as their first name matches one on the 'no fly' list.
Old 20 Jan 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Except your passport doesn't have a separate middle name box (or field). And the whole point of that section on the ESTA is for you to enter the details as they appear in your passport; you enter what's in the Given Name field of your passport into the Given Name field of the ESTA.

If people think the existing form is misleading then adding a middle name box would be even more confusing for them, especially if their passport doesn't show their middle name (or only shows some of their middle names) or if they don't have a middle name. I can see DIBBers posting questions about what they should put in this box in those cases.

The only way I can see to improve things is to change "First (Given) Name" to "Given Name(s)". I think that would help dismiss the tiny sliver of confusion that might exist after reading the rest of the info on the form.

In the end though, it doesn't matter. If you don't follow the instructions on the form and mistakenly leave out your middle name it won't matter. Whether that's true for other parts of the ESTA form is unknown. Hopefully, people read all of the instructions for the other sections of the form where it might matter.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I hadn't seen the more recent changes to the form which make it clearer with the pop up boxes. When referring to the form being broken I was talking about the need to click the question mark as it previously was.
There are other question marks throughout the form.

I suggest it might be a good idea for people to click on all of those question marks to understand what's meant to go in those other boxes. That way, they'll be more likely to understand what's required of the form and slightly less likely to make mistakes.

Similarly, I would recommend people read all parts of the form - not just the titles above each box.

But it's just a recommendation. If they choose not to read that additional info put there to help them and risk making a mistake then that's up to them. They'll probably be ok...

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List