Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Feb 21, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Barbados Tips/Advice

We are thinking of going totally curved ball and swapping our potential Florida visit the end of August (notice I did say potential) for a trip to Barbados at Christmas. we are sort of tied in with Virgin and having done the numbers we get get some decent all inclusive breaks for less than the Florida trip (including tickets and spends). We have found a few places that are self catering but the one that has taken my eye is a place called Turtle Beach Resort which is about £1800 more but is all inclusive - there will be 4 of us for 10 nights.

We have never done all inclusive so don't know if it will be worth it although we can all eat and when it comes to the brown falling down water I can hold my own.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated
Old 18 Feb 21, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We went to Barbados with VH in 2018. Stayed all inc in the Savannah Beach. Kids loved it more than Florida!

We did a day at the races opposite our hotel. It was fab. You could pay and go in but we stood on the street and watched for free and there were street sellers with chilled beers and ice creams.

We swam with turtles on a catamaran trip with Calabaza. We went for the slightly more expensive 12 person one. Kids said better than Discovery Cove.
sailcalabaza/

We wanted to hire a car but didn't get chance. They drive on the left so thought it would be easier.

Couldn't recommend it more. Our stay was amazing.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We also went to Barbados with VH in July 2016, stayed at The Southern Palms, St Lawrence Gap. We loved it & would return one day, to the hotel & area.
Would really recommend St Lawrence gap as a good area to stay
I would suggest self catering or HB better in Barbados as the local food so good. I wouldn’t go AI.
Another thumbs up for Calbazza, loved our sunset cruise with them (most of time full sun, sunset at end)
It’s a great island, OP I hope you book to go! I’m sure you won’t regret it
Old 19 Feb 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Deb B
Proud to wear my Ears

We went to Barbados in 2016 with VH and stayed at Sea Breeze in Oistins, it was lovely when we went and has undergone refurbishment since. Lovely island with such friendly people, we would go back anytime
Deb B is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We went to Barbados a few years ago. Stayed in the Hilton and rented a car for a few days.

I would personally not do all inclusive as there are so many great places to eat but that does obviously depend on where you stay.

My trip report is available via the link in my signature if you are interested 😀
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

NB this was 20+ years ago

we went to St Lawrence gap we stayed in AI but ate/drink out probably every other night.. AI worked great for breakfast/lunch/drinks etc etc round the hotel/pool

Stuff we did from memory

Oistins Friday Fish Fry - big street party/food stalls/music etc, brilliant night out we went twice .. some may find it a bit intimadting at first but once you have a couple of drinks all good

Reggae Bus to Bridgtown - not the official name for them (i dont think?) but mini vans you pile into iirc for a fixed cost to anywhere on the island, driven by a friendly rasta with music blaring... great fun

Visit Bathsheba on the Atlantic side - wild & windswept & devoid of hotels etc etc greta day out on a jeep safari type day. This was on a sunday & i remember as we drive through various towns/villages all the local dressed in their sunday best for church

We went on a catamaran trip as well to snorkel etc but cant recall where we left from ?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

We had Barbados booked for this May with VH We have booked the south gap hotel .
We moved it to next year same hotel etc and for the same price and got 2 extra nights .
It’s all paid so something else to look forward to ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Cheers for the advice it looks like we are going to do it and self catering seems a really good shout - for some reason I now can’t get the “I’m going to Barbados” song out of my head
Old 19 Feb 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blades View Post
Cheers for the advice it looks like we are going to do it and self catering seems a really good shout - for some reason I now can’t get the “I’m going to Barbados” song out of my head
We were the same ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Its beautiful, you will love it! Hiring a car is a must. They drive on the same side and its really easy to drive over there. The island is so small you can drive round it all and see all the sights in a day.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List