Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 9 Oct 11, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
stephwa
Imagineer

Talking Favourites and First-times - 12 days of DDP Dining Report!

Just got back from another amazing holiday spent with my parents at the Wilderness Lodge. My Mum retired this summer and they haven't been back since 2007 while I've managed another cheeky 2 trips in that time.

This was my third time using the DDP - first in 2009 on my own for 4days when it was free and second in 2010 with a friend for a week which we paid OOP for. In previous trips before the DDP we usually booked 3-4 favourite ADRs.

So let's introduce us:

Me, Steph, 25. Struggled to get so much time off work all at once and took a risk when I booked the holiday back in November as I had no idea where I'd be working - luckily, I'm at a lovely GP practice at the moment so it worked out perfectly. Loves pretty much every style of food, but although I have a sweet tooth... I can never eat a lot of it! :'(

Mum, Gill. Retired teacher as of August and enjoying her lady of leisure lifestyle. Particularly excited about visiting outside of school holidays! Again, not a fussy eater at all. Especially loves fish dishes. Insisted we had Artist Point on the list.

Dad, Dave. More fussy than us two, but loves steak and burgers. Particularly looking forward to Le Cellier (booked it as a treat for his birthday as an extra to the DDP).

So that's us! Enjoy
DLP 1992 - Davy Crockett Ranch WDW 1994 - Grosvenor WDW 1996 - Travelodge LBW DLP 1997WDW 1998 - Caribbean Beach WDW 2000 - Nikki Bird WDW 2002 - Quality Inn Plaza WDW 2007 - Coronado Springs Resort DLP 2007 - Sequoia Lodge WDW 2009 - Villa and Pop! DLP 2009 - Newport Bay DLP 2010 - New York Hotel WDW 2010 - Pop Century

Upcoming Trips...
WDW October 2011!

stephwa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 11, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
stephwa
Imagineer

Tuesday 27th September

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Dinner

Wednesday 28th September

ABC Commissary - Lunch
Kona Cafe - Dinner

Thursday 29th September

Sunshine Seasons - Breakfast
Tutto Italia - Dinner

Friday 30th September

Main Street Bakery - Breakfast
Columbia Harbour House - Lunch
'Ohana - Dinner

Saturday 1st October

Yak and Yeti Counter Service - Lunch
Artist Point - Dinner

Sunday 2nd October

Roaring Forks - Breakfast
Teppan Edo - Dinner

Monday 3rd October

Fulton's Crab House - Lunch
Eating around World Showcase (incl. F&W Festival)

Tuesday 4th October

International Food Film - Lunch
Margaritaville - Dinner

Wednesday 5th October

Pizza Planet - Lunch
Garden Grill - Dinner

Thursday 6th October

Wolfgang Puck Express - Breakfast
Roaring Forks - Dinner

Friday 7th October

Crystal Palace - Breakfast
California Grill - Dinner

Saturday 8th October

Le Cellier - Lunch

Snacks and Others!
DLP 1992 - Davy Crockett Ranch WDW 1994 - Grosvenor WDW 1996 - Travelodge LBW DLP 1997WDW 1998 - Caribbean Beach WDW 2000 - Nikki Bird WDW 2002 - Quality Inn Plaza WDW 2007 - Coronado Springs Resort DLP 2007 - Sequoia Lodge WDW 2009 - Villa and Pop! DLP 2009 - Newport Bay DLP 2010 - New York Hotel WDW 2010 - Pop Century

Upcoming Trips...
WDW October 2011!

Edited at 01:13 PM.
stephwa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 11, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
stephwa
Imagineer

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Wilderness Lodge

As we were staying at the Wilderness Lodge, it seemed sensible to have our first ADR here on arrival day after travelling so long. I played around with the ADR time a lot prior to to settling on 9:30pm. Our flight was due to land around 5:30pm so thought this would give us plenty of time to get to the hotel and have a wander around before dinner.

We checked in around 8:45pm and were seated within a couple of minutes. Our server was "SmokinSam" and he was very lovely. We were seated in the main dining room, though a lot of the noise and activity had died down by the time we ate. There were still a few ketchup requests though!

Here is a copy of the menu - I believe it's been changed slightly; though this was our first time dining here.

First up, the drinks. Standard coke and iced tea. I had the pomegranate lemonade which was very refreshing.

We all decided to order the skillet. First to be brought out was the mixed green salad with apple vinaigrette, coleslaw and fresh-baked cornbread. The salad was crisp and fresh, with the vinaigrette being very tasty. The coleslaw was amazing! Creamy and crunchy. Cornbread was yummy; sweet and quite dense.

Next up, the skillet. This consists of smoked pork ribs, pulled pork, oven-roasted chicken, beef brisket, mashed potatoes, cowboy beans and corn on the cob. I found the ribs to be very fatty which spoiled the taste slightly, but the rest was fantastic, especially the redskin mashed potatoes! Everything had a really great flavour and the cowboy beans pulled everything together. I've posted a before and after picture as there was so much food!

We got desserts to go, so unfortunately I don't have any pictures. However, we ordered the apple caramel pie, the no-sugar added berry dome and the cheesecake. We nibbled on these over the next few days. The apple caramel pie is described as fresh granny smith apple, sugar cookie crust, streusel topping and caramel drizzle. This was very good, with a sweet but tarty apple taste. Both the berry dome and the cheesecake were served with fresh berries and both were tasty.

Overall, a very good meal. The skillet was far too much for us to finish but a good use of a TS credit.

Upcoming Trips...
WDW October 2011!

Edited at 07:08 PM.
Old 11 Oct 11, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
loves_disney
Imagineer

loves_disney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 6
thanks for posting! looking forward to eating here next year!
Old 11 Oct 11, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Food looks yummy, like you we didn't do the skillet justice. Good to hear it had settled down later on.

Looking forward to more, and thank you for sharing xx
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 11, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

really looking forward to eating here next year. thanks for posting
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 11, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Great review! Food looks great, does look like you get heaps for your credit!
Looking forward to more reviews
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 11, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Fantasia Sam
Imagineer

Fantasia Sam's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 16
Restaurant Reviews: 55
Oooo yay a new dining/food report and woo-hoo I cannot wait to get my mouth around that skillet offering in 4 weeks time!

22 years, 36 Trips and counting:

DVC - BCV, WLV, BLT, OKW, SSR
WDW - Pop, AoA, CBR, AKL (Club), BC (Club), YC (Club), BWI, GF, Contemporary
Non-Disney - Four Seasons, Swan & Dolphin, Waldorf, Hilton LBV Palace
DCL - Wonder, Magic, Dream, Fantasy
DLP - Sante Fe, Sequoia, DL Hotel
DL - Grand Californian
Universal - Portofino Bay
Fantasia Sam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 11, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

looking forward to more
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 11, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Brilliant another foodie trippie..think WC is going to be on our list too
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List