Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Feb 18, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Airport - how far do you travel?

I live a few miles from Manchester airport but am seriously considering travelling to Gatwick for the increased flight choice. According to Google it’s a four hour drive back at this time of day.
If you do this kind of journey, how do you deal with it?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Mobile

I couldn't... the 4hr doesn't account for traffic etc and after such a long flight ..urgh!

We live near Middlesbrough and for all long haul Manchester tends to be the airport of choice. But this time we are flying Leeds to Dublin then onto mco

I would consider other airports even as far as Edinburgh but not London. I understand why people do the drive though...I think if I had to then I would get a day room and head back evening x
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We live in central Scotland and did Manchester once. I wouldn’t do it again. The drive home was horrible plus we had snow on the dive down (luckily staying in a hotel the night before). I’m sure lots do it no problem but it’s not for us.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

We live in the North East so for us it’s just over 2 hours to drive to Manchester. We get the train as don’t want to drive on way home due to jet lag and like to relax on the train back.

We would like to consider Gatwick but there doesn’t seem to be any other way of getting to Gatwick from either Leeds/Newcastle/Teesside by plane or train so don’t fancy the long drive (probably similar to you?)

We could fly out off Glasgow I supppse but they seem pricey for our holiday dates. We could also fly over to Amsterdam from Teesside airport and on from there (this is a brand new option as bizarrely there were no direct flights from there before)

For direct flights we are limited. I’d be chuffed living so close to Manchester as your options are brill.

We could also fly Tui but want to fly into mco so that’s out.

Kat

Edited at 10:25 AM.
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Ahh, the wonderful M25

My drive is 3 hours and I find it tough. The first 90 mins are ok but the stop start on the M25 drives nails into me. My problem is the last hour and my Wife ensures she watches me like a hawk.
I couldn't do the LGW to Manchester drive albeit loads do.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
missdopey
Imagineer

It's just over 2 hours to either Manchester or Glasgow from us.

ASMo, ASMu x4, SSR x2, BLT x 4, CSR, POLY, AKL x 4, BC x 4, BWV, CC, OKW
DVC MEMBER - BLT & SSR
missdopey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are 5 mins from Edinburgh Airport but tend to fly from the cheapest airport. Last Easter that was Edinburgh but we often do Manchester. I think how bad the drive home is, is dependant on the flight length. I find the drive hard going after a long haul flight but found it surprisingly easy after our Turkey flight in October.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

We are in South Wales and like Mr Tom have to endure the 3hr journey. The return leg being the worst for obvious reasons.

If we are flying from Lgw or Man, we try to use the trains so much easier especially for the homeward journey.

This year we are flying from Stansted and for the first time in a few years we have to drive as the rail costs were ridiculous!

Xx Ff xX
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Live in Swansea and endure at least a 4 hour drive to Gatwick. (Heathrow this year so hopefully shorter!) Power through with a couple of stops for coffee and a leg stretch
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We live just under 2hrs from Gatwick now so will go the night before and get a hotel, I don't trust the Dartford bridge in rush hour.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List