Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 29 May 17, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

DLSR vs Compact Camera

Hi guys,

I wanted to get a new camera for our holiday. It would mainly be used for pictures and occasional videos. I would say I'm a beginner when it comes to photography.

I have been looking at the Nikon D3300 or D3400. My only worry is would this be too big to carry around the parks? Has anyone ever taken a DLSR as their main camera?

I have also considered a compact with a 1 inch sensor (Canon G7X, Sony RX100 etc) which would be ok for low light situations.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

We've taken both as we do a little photography as a hobby and vlog on our YouTube channel.. I love the SLR for wildlife parks like Animal Kingdom... Can't beat having full control of the camera and a decent viewfinder.

For most other stuff the G7X has been spot on (and previously the TZ60) for photography and video. Obviously the G7X handles low light better with the f1.8 lens.

Size wise, the SLR is quite a weight to carry but I really don't mind carrying it. We don't carry a lot of other items.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

I love my DSLR but it got on my nerves around the parks. I will still take it (for the odd occasion) but we bought a canon G9X for a better alternative to our old compact so we will take that every day.

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ive taken my dslr a few times, and most of the time it stays in the villa.

since i got a mirrorless compact (canon EOS-M) that can fit my slr lenses, my dslr has barely been out of its bag, and has definitely not made a trip across the pond since... it has all the features of an slr, but in a bod a fraction of the size.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I have never taken my DSLR as I think it would be too bulky - TBH I don't use it nearly enough due to the size - I have 2 x L lenses for it too.

For our normal holiday snaps I think a compact is good enough. Looking at the Canon ones posted above - I could not live with a 3 x optical zoom on a compact I don't think, and the G3X has 25 x optical, but at £650 incredibly expensive.

Last two years have used Sony DSC HX60V - only drawback I have found is lack of viewfinder and hard to see screen in very sunny conditions. The DSC HX90 would sort out that problem.

The other thing is - I find with a good compact or bridge - I have more excuses not to use my DSLR. I still have my very old now Canon SX30IS bridge - and on some holidays I take it and the compact.

Panasonic TZ60/90 also gets very well reviewed for a compact with long zoom.

Good luck with your choices.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I took a DSLR when we went to Florida last time and used this strap which helped.

amazon/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On some days in the parks used this and on other days a compact.

I haven't used DSLR for ages as it is bulky, but will probably take it and compact this year as I can put it in the car for scenic shots on our fly drive.

Overall my priority is to help to preserve the memory rather than take the best photo I can, so often use my phone.
Old 29 May 17, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dan's Mum
VIP Dibber

I do take my Sony A65 DSLR but it is only used when I want specific shots where only it will do. For everyday round the parks, I use my Panasonic TZ30 (might have to upgrade for next year ).

I think it depends what you want out of a camera. If you do get a DSLR, can I suggest that you invest in a sniper strap as it really made a huge difference to carrying the camera last time as it is a cross body strap which really stopped the pull on my neck.

Dee
Xx
Dan's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Overall my priority is to help to preserve the memory rather than take the best photo I can, so often use my phone.
I find myself doing that too. I have Sony phone so decent camera - a lot of phones use Sony camera's.

Also in 2014 we had Memory Maker and now everyone with an Ultimate pass has it - I'd rather they used their DSLR than me lugging one around.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I echo what everyone else is saying regarding the size and weight for carrying- but also there is far to many chances to damage it on rides. You'll find you're so busy trying to protect your camera you don't really get to enjoy the moment. Great for road trips though.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

DSLRs are a real pain at the parks. I wanted a compact last year and went for the Lumix LX100. Amazing in low light because of the very fast Leica lens.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List