Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 6 Oct 06, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Next Camera to buy

Well I have a Fuji S7000 which I have owned for a couple of years and its been a fab camera and allowed me to move from the usual old photos I took of badly framed shots or too far in distant etc. Now my pictures are improving I am thinking about the next camera to get and I also want to start offering photography as a service ( sideline to our current business )

So, I guess I am looking to a canon and wonder apart from the benefits of faster shutter etc would a canon 300d or a 30d or even a 1d... I can see the differences on the 300 and the 30 ( or whatever new model will replace them ) and the price diff will be about £500, what about the canon 1d, what extras does it have to make it worth the HUGE leap in costs, say I wanted to get into this professionally *( in time not just yet ) would I have to go for a 1d or would a 300 be good enough?

I have seen photos on commercial photography websites of products or interiors and the difference to my fuji is huge, so what would i need?

or would i be better off going to a 300 or 30 and then seeing what happens and only get a 1d if I sell a photo for 5k? yeah right...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 06, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Good things about the 1ds-mk2:
Full frame sensor:
... A 17mm Wide Lens is a 17mm Wide lens.
... Full Frame CMOS (Not CCD) Sensor give more accurate colours, less bleed, better power consumption.
... 16.7 megapixels. Even objects that are small in the frame can be blown up big.
Takes Flash and SD cards at same time.
Stonkingly fast start up time.
Blistering focus speed (lens dependant of course)
No perceivable shutter lag. Bursts of 9+ pictures @ 3 per second.

Good things about the 10d (and it's series)
1.6 Cropped Sensor. Zoom lens get 1.6x more zoom.
Much Lighter.
Auto Mode and other modes like portrait etc. 1ds has P,M,Av and TV only!
No perceivable shutter lag.
Built in Flash, 1ds doesn't have one.

We play about on a JetBoat and JetSki a lot in the summer, and I was getting frustrated by the detail that the 10d was giving me at full zoom, full frame.

For example: 10d - 300mm DO Lens
This full size crop is very poor.

As opposed to this: 1ds - Same 300mm DO Lens
The Ski was doing about 45mph, and the autofocus grabbed and got the shot time and time again.

The 1ds tends to get a full size crop in a usable state much more often than the 10d does.

Its a hard one to put over, but I have shot over 10,000 piccies with the 10d and about 5000 with the 1ds now, and whilst I use both a lot, given the choice I will suffer the weight and take the 1ds for things I really want to grab good pictures of.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 06, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
One other thing, I have found you have to feed the 1ds with good quality lenses.

...and it suffers from dust fairies a lot, too, as you will see in the picture below.

diary.andyjpartridge/im...airy_dolly.jpg

Canon 1ds, 17-35mm Wide Zoom (L Grade)

Its a 100% crop of Dolly from Busch Gardens.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 06, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
And now, because luckily my mate was holding my 10d right by my side...

Canon 10d, 17-35mm Wide Zoom (L Grade)

diary.andyjpartridge/im..._dolly_10d.jpg

Notice the extra detail in the eye lashes and the ear hairs.
Old 6 Oct 06, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post

That ski shot just proves it and means if I want to take good shots I need to consider a 1d... now where did i leave my large full wallet

another question, on the fuji s7000 the manual focus is ... well pretty poor as you twist the lens and its sluggish and hard to do, so I usually set the auto focus or manual and press autofocus button to fix it... what is the focus like on the canons esp the 1d... is it more like a film lens allowing you to easily see the focus and change it?
Old 6 Oct 06, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
The focus is very, very quick. (Very ) Especially with USM lenses.

If you want to manual focus, you twist the large rubber ring on the lens. There is an AF/MF switch on the lenses to toggle between them.

They are the same types of lenses as those found on the Canon film cameras, if that helps.
Old 7 Oct 06, 04:44 AM  
Link to this Post

I was amused by the title of the photo of the guy on the jet ski (right click, properties)

Absolutely superb shot btw.

We used to have boat on Windermere before the ban, nothing like 30mph one a piece of wood!

Edited at 04:47 AM.
Old 7 Oct 06, 04:53 AM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
HAHAHAH! Nice spot! =) =)

He often says "Bless you my son."

His website is andybowd and he takes great pictures too, as does his partner.
Old 7 Oct 06, 05:05 AM  
Link to this Post

I only looked for the "exif"? file data to see how you had got that picture, although I know you have said previously you post to the web without the data.

If that ski is moving at 40+ mph that is an awesome shot, the detail is amazing.

Maybe unworldly forces at work...
Old 7 Oct 06, 05:09 AM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by JohnW
Maybe unworldly forces at work...
Not sure what you mean there ?
Closed Thread