Old 13 Aug 11, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Photo Course: Night Time/Fireworks : 1 : Keep it Still!

Allie had the cracking idea of theDIBB photo courses, so I'll kick off with one of the reasons theDIBB Photo Advice forum got started.

Fireworks and keeping the camera still.

Why?

Photography works by having light come in through the lens and then hitting either film or a digital chip that acts like a film. They both react to light.

The less light there is overall in the scene, such as a big black sky, the longer the shutter stays open to grab what light it can.

So here lies the problem, if the camera moves whilst the light is burning onto the film, the bright firework light gets burnt onto the "film" in different places. It may end up like this:

This happens in various stages, from a subtle blur to an obvious streak depending on what the lens is looking at, and how much you move the camera. It may end up looking ok of course

So you need to keep the camera still.

Class, here are your assignments:

Using the automatic mode alone (Ignoring all shutter speeds, ISO and what-not modes) on a camera, what can you do to keep the camera still?

1) What methods can you use to keep the camera still that cost money?

2) What methods can you use that don't?

Edited at 04:13 PM.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 11, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
TiggerD
Imagineer

TiggerD's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
1. Tripod, or a bean bag, gorillapod

2. walls, fence, bin
TiggerD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 11, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post

I tried a Gorillapod but my DSLR still moved so for me it has to be a floor based Tripod, although it need not be a full-size one. If you can find a clear enough space without too big a crowd around you could position it low but I would also use a remote to further reduce the amount of motion your camera would be subjected too.

As for free I cannot think of any options as my camera would not balance properly or still enough without external supports but I look forward to other folks suggestions
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 11, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Thank you for this thread it explains why my photos were not that great of the fireworks. We have a new camera to take next trip and i now know to find something to rest on to keep it still . I am so looking forward to good pictures.

Mary
Old 14 Aug 11, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post

Tripod and remote control to prevent touching camera.
Old 14 Aug 11, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
pepsicube
Imagineer

Rest the camera on somthing still - a bin, fencepost, tripod - whatever's around, a beanbag is good for levelling up the camera.
If you don't have a remote, use the 2 second delay, that way you're not touching the camera when the shutter is released.
pepsicube is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 11, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

How does the build in anti shake cope with this on some cameras?

Or even firework modes? Do they work?

I took some using a Sony W210 compact last Nov and they came out well.

I try and plant myself sturdily and take loads - bound to get a couple good ones!

Also some blur can add to the effect...IMO!
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 11, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nettings
Imagineer

Nettings's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I've found using the high sensitivity setting on my camera gets the best results for fireworks. Don't know whether that's just pure luck tho as I still get some photos as you've posted Andy.

I've found resting on bins, walls etc the best to keep my camera still. As I just have a little Panasonic I've never considered buying a tripod.
Nettings is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 11, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahewoods
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
When using a tripod turn off the stabiliser, the camera will try to auto stabilise when on the tripod so could still blur, however not all cameras have this xx
sarahewoods is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 11, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Great answers everyone!

Originally Posted by pepsicube View Post
If you don't have a remote, use the 2 second delay, that way you're not touching the camera when the shutter is released.
Fantastic advice. If you don't have a remote cable, or remote control for the camera this is the best way of keeping the camera still.

I have had a problem with the actual shutter release shaking the camera on less than sturdy tripods.

Originally Posted by sarahewoods View Post
When using a tripod turn off the stabiliser, the camera will try to auto stabilise when on the tripod so could still blur, however not all cameras have this xx
Yes, this is almost essential for the Canon range of IS lenses, it can go quite nuts at times.

Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
I tried a Gorillapod but my DSLR still moved so for me it has to be a floor based Tripod, although it need not be a full-size one. If you can find a clear enough space without too big a crowd around you could position it.
Disney cast members can be very funny about tripods, and at times I've been asked to put it away. The picture at the bottom was taken by putting my tripod inside a flower bed on top of one of the garbage shoots. If you can locate it, and get there before someone else, I think it's the best place to get pictures of the Magic Kingdom fireworks - and for once, a child being on shoulders actually added to the overall scene

Here is one of Allie's shots, using a trashcan as a tripod:

Here is one of Andre's shots, using a wall as a tripod:

You can use what's in your pocket to help angle the camera, like a wallet or purse for example.

Edited at 02:23 PM.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread