Link to this Post
ljbojangles
Imagineer

ljbojangles's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
SJCAM anyone?

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone has one of these? They seem to have fairly good reviews on Amazon. But just wondering if its worth it?

Orlando 1995 - 1998 - 2000 - 2007 - 2009 - 2015
ljbojangles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 15, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
scl
Apprentice Imagineer

My hubby has the sj4000 and its great we have had no problems with ours. Good that it has the screen on the back so you can see what your taking a pic of. Make sure you do your research as there is alot of fakes about.
scl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 15, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Originally Posted by scl View Post
My hubby has the sj4000 and its great we have had no problems with ours. Good that it has the screen on the back so you can see what your taking a pic of. Make sure you do your research as there is alot of fakes about.
A couple of reviews on Amazon warned of fakes being sold. Are they any good for close up work, I fancy recording myself making things, on a desk, I have no experience of camcorders at all.
Old 27 Aug 15, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
scl
Apprentice Imagineer

If you google sj4000 fakes there are some good write ups on how to spot the difference. I would imagine its ok for close up work. My DH mainly uses it when he is surfing and loves it, his friend has a go pro 3 and we have compared the video quality and there is next to nothing in it. For the money they are well worth it. Thing we paid about £40 the only thing my husband would say is its worth while getting a spare battery ours has been fine but beginning to loose charge quickly now. We have had it about 12 months.
scl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 15, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
daviewat
Imagineer

Yes yes yes they are wonderful and for the price knock Go Pro right out the water. But do remember they are an action camera ! clue in the name, so screen etc although a bonus is really a fancy battery drainer :-( after all the intended use for these cameras was a wide angle lens to capture what the lens what pointing at ! knowing that it was wide angle then no framing via a screen is needed. So as long as it is pointing to you then all will be fine. Fakes ? best way to tell is of the letters "SJ CAM" ,the A will have a slightly different look to it, are NOT below the lens then it IS A FAKE if they are there then it IS NOT a fake :-)

Regal Palms March/April 2005/6/7/11/12
Now Miami whenever possible
daviewat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 15, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
daviewat
Imagineer

or even better

daviewat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 15, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ljbojangles
Imagineer

ljbojangles's Reviews
Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
A couple of reviews on Amazon warned of fakes being sold. Are they any good for close up work, I fancy recording myself making things, on a desk, I have no experience of camcorders at all.
If you google sj4000 fakes there are some good write ups on how to spot the difference. I would imagine its ok for close up work. My DH mainly uses it when he is surfing and loves it, his friend has a go pro 3 and we have compared the video quality and there is next to nothing in it. For the money they are well worth it. Thing we paid about £40 the only thing my husband would say is its worth while getting a spare battery ours has been fine but beginning to loose charge quickly now. We have had it about 12 months.
Originally Posted by daviewat View Post
Yes yes yes they are wonderful and for the price knock Go Pro right out the water. But do remember they are an action camera ! clue in the name, so screen etc although a bonus is really a fancy battery drainer :-( after all the intended use for these cameras was a wide angle lens to capture what the lens what pointing at ! knowing that it was wide angle then no framing via a screen is needed. So as long as it is pointing to you then all will be fine. Fakes ? best way to tell is of the letters "SJ CAM" ,the A will have a slightly different look to it, are NOT below the lens then it IS A FAKE if they are there then it IS NOT a fake :-)
Thank you for all your replies I think I will bite the bullet and buy one!

Can anyone tell me what the picture quality is like? As in for just photographs not video? and maybe has an example?
ljbojangles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 15, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
daviewat
Imagineer

Forget it if it for pictures, quality poor in comparison to todays even basic cameras, it was not designed for stills.

Old 28 Aug 15, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ljbojangles
Imagineer

ljbojangles's Reviews
Thanks not really an issue as I have another camera - this will mostly be used for mountain biking, skiing and horseriding

any recommendations on where to buy from?
Old 28 Aug 15, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
daviewat
Imagineer

amazon/gp/product/B...p age_o07_s00

I would suggest here, its where we got ours and quick delivery, good customer service and deaf genuine cameras :-0 A good tip buy an extra battery and obviously some micro SD cards

Closed Thread