Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 May 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
littlesam21
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Taking a 2 year old and 5 month old?!

Morning,
We had booked for September this year when our son would be just under 1 but had some exciting yet unexpected news 😊 and now baby number 2 is due in October so needless to say we need to cancel our holiday. We were thinking of rearranging for next year but not sure what the more “ideal age” for a baby would be? 4 /5 months (before weaning)?

Appreciate any tips thank you x
Old 24 May 20, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Congratulations! Wonderful news and a great reason to postpone your holiday.

I took a 1 y old and that was great, I also saw a lot of smaller babies there in the child care centres. Do consider the likely temperature when you are there plus whether you will need a double buggy (which I think that you would do). Your son will be able to eat off your plates in restaurants, and if you are breastfeeding the baby then that will be easy to deal with. We had to take formula as a top up and needed it screened at security.

You will be restricted with what rides you go on, but it will be similar restrictions for both children.

I haven't traveled with 2 children, but did find when we went at 1 y old was a lot easier than when we went back at 2y! Both of those times we invested in a 1 bed DVC appartment (OKW and SSR) and enjoyed the washer/dryer and more space. When we went back in Feb this year we were in POFQ and the lack of space was OK, but we did all tend to go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
littlesam21
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you Rabel. I was thinking a villa would be much more manageable and enjoyable. Might be tempted for a couple of days in RPR though to finish it off
Old 24 May 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by littlesam21 View Post
Thank you Rabel. I was thinking a villa would be much more manageable and enjoyable. Might be tempted for a couple of days in RPR though to finish it off
I haven't stayed in a villa but the idea of having more than one room and a place to do the washing is brilliant. There are some lovely villas on here which seem very geared up for little ones - Disney aren't very good at providing safety guards for doors and plug sockets so being able to go somewhere that has already considered that would be sensible. We took our own washing powder and did a load every day (I could have saved on the luggage space).

There was a great trip report fairly recently that mentioned the play areas in Universal that I wasn't aware of, I had always written it off as "too old". Worth having a look!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We have taken our daughter at 6 months and 2 years, she was a delight on both trips. I agree with wanting space, we find a condo ideal for us and have used the Sonesta Suites and the Blue Heron Beach resort in the past
Both have 2 bed suites with 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen but still have the benefits of a hotel with lovely pool and staff to help if needed.

Not sure what parks you were considering but we found Universal. To be very lacking for babies and toddlers whereas Disney was incredible. Seaworld would also be fabulous I think with a 2 year older.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KirstF
Proud to wear my Ears

Congratulations! I took my son age 4 months and it was actually so much easier than i thought!
I filled the suitcase up with everything i needed - I had formula, calpol, nappies, wipes, sterilising tablets, wafers for him to chew on! I know some wait until theyre out there but i didnt want the hassle of trying to find alternatives and it was all used up by the end! Loads of babygrows, i changed him about 3 times through the day to avoid heat rash and to make sure he was cool - may have been a bit OTT by my child was a sweaty baby lol

Amazon purchase:
- snooze shade absolute must keeps the routine going each day!
- rechargeable fan it was about £18 but powerful we still use it now 3 years on!

Lots of breaks and i took DS in and out of the buggy to see the views/colours/shows etc and found it helped him nap as he wasnt confined all day!

If you are formula feeding in the morning i half filled the bottles with boiling water and took a flask of boiling water - by the time i needed to use a bottle the water was cool, topped up with flask water and they were ready straight away - so handy instead of trying to find feeding stations!

Flights you can request the seat with the baby bed so you have a bit more room for your flight!

I really enjoyed our trip as long as he was fed, clean and napping he was happy and loved all the different sights we did disney and IOA/universal everything is new for them!

My DS is 3 now and we went again in November 2019 we did disney, IOA/universal and he loved it all. Universal has some great parades, light show, barney, woody, shrek, minions i found there was lots to do i thought

I would say pop some fave snacks in the suitcase and take a stroller and kids packed lunch for the parks and have the most amazing time 😊

Edited at 11:14 PM.
KirstF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
littlesam21
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KirstF View Post
Congratulations! I took my son age 4 months and it was actually so much easier than i thought!
I filled the suitcase up with everything i needed - I had formula, calpol, nappies, wipes, sterilising tablets, wafers for him to chew on! I know some wait until theyre out there but i didnt want the hassle of trying to find alternatives and it was all used up by the end! Loads of babygrows, i changed him about 3 times through the day to avoid heat rash and to make sure he was cool - may have been a bit OTT by my child was a sweaty baby lol

Amazon purchase:
- snooze shade absolute must keeps the routine going each day!
- rechargeable fan it was about £18 but powerful we still use it now 3 years on!

Lots of breaks and i took DS in and out of the buggy to see the views/colours/shows etc and found it helped him nap as he wasnt confined all day!

If you are formula feeding in the morning i half filled the bottles with boiling water and took a flask of boiling water - by the time i needed to use a bottle the water was cool, topped up with flask water and they were ready straight away - so handy instead of trying to find feeding stations!

Flights you can request the seat with the baby bed so you have a bit more room for your flight!

I really enjoyed our trip as long as he was fed, clean and napping he was happy and loved all the different sights we did disney and IOA/universal everything is new for them!

My DS is 3 now and we went again in November 2019 we did disney, IOA/universal and he loved it all. Universal has some great parades, light show, barney, woody, shrek, minions i found there was lots to do i thought

I would say pop some fave snacks in the suitcase and take a stroller and kids packed lunch for the parks and have the most amazing time 😊
Great advice thank you so much 😊
Old 30 May 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Sorry to be a doom merchant but we took our son when he was 3 and it's not something I would do again in fact we waited until he was 7 to take him again now that was a great holiday.

The flights were great and we did make some great memories but just felt that our beach holidays to Spain and Canaries with him were far more enjoyable for him and us at that age.

But I've read here many great stories from people going with kids.

Old 30 May 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Maggy78
Getting Excited

Mobile

I took a 9 month old (and a 4 year old) and it was a much easier trip than with a 3 & 6 year old!

My biggest advice would be her a sling, I could take the baby on pretty much any ride even if she was asleep (she completely slept through Toy Story Mania!).
Maggy78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List