Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Attraction Tickets Direct
Unread 17 Sep 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
20k😮
You can buy a house in Stoke-on-Trent for that
You could. But would you want to?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anniversary trip to POFQ...
Unread 17 Sep 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I know this is a bit selfish, but that should be good for me. I'm planning to be there next year and it will be good to see attendance - and therefore crowds - reduced.

I'm still expecting people to complain that the parks are more crowded though.

well, even though I totally get the selfishness (I share that feeling, less people in the park, better times for me) aand agree with that, I still get mixed emotions

lower attendance due to higher prices, yeah, I'll take it, but we both know this will come at another kind of cost ... cuts in entertainment, shows, possibly maintenance

so, what good would it do if I paid more, for less, and for rides that may have more downtime

hell, look at Disneyland Paris, you'll see how the "best disney park in the world" as of 1992 has gone downhill (and will not even recover with the new future additions to WDS)
see how the park was hurt by cuts in shows, entertainement, and staffing in general.

so, yup, mixed emotions
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
slightly serious Dibber

In all fairness, Pete himself has been scaring people away as he was convinced that all hell would break loose once SW opened. Although I do agree that the prices have become too high (esp on the US site), I do think that many people decided to skip the next 6 months or so and postponed their trip to avoid the projected massive crowds.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
In all fairness, Pete himself has been scaring people away as he was convinced that all hell would break loose once SW opened. Although I do agree that the prices have become too high (esp on the US site), I do think that many people decided to skip the next 6 months or so and postponed their trip to avoid the projected massive crowds.
I dont get why he thinks its on a downturn yet bought dvc, wouldnt you wait to see if prices dropped first if things are as bad as he makes out?
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yacht club, Bahama Bay , Poly :)
Unread 17 Sep 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
A Disney holiday is expensive? You don't say!

Personally I'm outraged by the price of a beachside penthouse suite in Hawaii with its own private beach and a sports car to drive to and from swanky restaurants.

Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The big bash
Unread 17 Sep 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Apprentice Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I find it interesting people are complaining about the queues and things and the FP system.

I first when to WDW 33 years ago, queues were often an hour plus wait for smaller rides like Mr Toad and Snowwhite, for BTM a 3 hour wait was normal. No in queue entertainment, often outside queues with the occasional water fountain!

Now most rides are under an hour wait with the exception of the big rides, which you can normally get FPs for anyways even if you book out at 30 days - in fact we have had TSM as an on the day FP.

So for me the queues arent an issue at all - it could be because we normally go Sep/Oct Jan/Feb time where numbers are generally lower anyways.

I actually think that the loss of the entertainment and having less characters, parks closing early for private or extra cost events, areas being sealed off for extra fee paying people is more of an issue, we go to Disney for the shows and entertainment - the rides are not the best in FL, BG and SW both have much better big rides and water rides (as does US).

Cost wise I'm not sure we will be able to justify staying on site much longer which is a shame, I think if we arent staying on site we are unlikely to go to DS, the resorts or broadwalk and unlikely to book a 14 day ticket to disney, if we take the cost of disney off the hols, stay on i drive and just have the SW BG and US tix even adding in eating off site our holiday cost is 1/3
Unread 17 Sep 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
I dont get why he thinks its on a downturn yet bought dvc, wouldnt you wait to see if prices dropped first if things are as bad as he makes out?
Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if much of his DVC shopping spree is actually related to their business. The more DVC content they produce and the more they stay and eat at DVC resorts on the job, the more of the purchases can be filed as a business expense. He probably also got a substantial discount on his resale contracts as a trade for all the promotion the Timeshare Store is getting, and is likely getting commission on contracts that sell via the alerts you can sign up for.
Maybe he went a little overboard on DVC and the business is now too cost-heavy on paper. That could explain the far more humble D23 presence this time around and the downgraded AP (which I'm sure can also be justified as a business expense).
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Holidaylover19 View Post
A Disney holiday is expensive? You don't say!

Personally I'm outraged by the price of a beachside penthouse suite in Hawaii with its own private beach and a sports car to drive to and from swanky restaurants.
It's not that it's expensive, people aren't specifically surprised by that, its how expensive it is relative to expectations, changing circumstances and other factors. More than one company has thought there was no problem increasing prices, cutting quality or both as they were expensive anyway so who cares.

In your example it would be like the hotel getting rid of the car, or downgrading it to a smaller/older model, or adding it as an extra, or having less cars so you wait longer for one.

I'm always fascinated by the companies that tell other companies what to do. Such as marketers telling Disney they should aim for a certain crowd, perhaps high earners short stayers. I'm sure they do their homework, but I cant help feeling - maybe they don't?

After all, if I was earning high five figures and decided to go to WDW, I likely wouldn't be staying in the values or moderates. But then, if you raise prices so I can still afford it, what if people who can't afford deluxes are priced out? Who will stay moderate if the other prices (food/tickets etc) have increased too much for them?

I doubt this will affect WDW too much though. They've got too many observers and too much financial clout to be affected. I think worst case scenario will be some value-clouding offers. Free extra fastpasses to tier 5 rides for instance. (Tier 5 being the restrooms.) Or perhaps FREE parking! WOW! Such value!

Next up - 14 days at RPR, September 2020!

Edited at 01:39 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
2 weeks chilling at RPR! :)