Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 12 May 17, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
neil1489
Trainee Dibber

Camera Recomendation ?

Hello all

Going soon and wondering what type of camera to take, I already have a Nikon DSLR camera which takes great pictures but concerned it might be too bulky to carry around all day, considering buying a compact digital camera for the parks - what's your thoughts ?
neil1489 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
If you're not taking a DSLR, I would just use a camera phone rather than invest in a compact.

I personally take my DSLR with 24-70mm as a walkabout lens and a 100-400mm if need some extra reach (perfect for safari time ).

If not taking the camera I just use my iPhone (or GoPro if in the waterparks).
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post

I've got this dilemma too. I've got a very nice DSLR which I love, but a couple of years ago I bought myself a compact that I've used since mostly for concerts - it's a Nikon Coolpix S9600. It's got a 22* optical zoom and manual ISO adjustment (which makes it ideal for gigs) and will hook up to my phone for Facebook etc. I'm just going to take that as it's tiny and produces good pics. Not up to the standard of my big camera (no wide aperture blurred backgrounds etc) but better than my phone - which I'll have with me anyway. I think it was only about £100.

I have a feeling that I'd end up leaving my DSLR back at the hotel or in the car most of the time. There's 3 of us going and there'll be plenty to lug around in the parks even if we try to go light with hats, sunscreen, water, cool towels, wallets, fans, etc without a camera bag too. Although there will be times where I'll miss it, I'm hoping the combination of Disney photopass, compact camera and a couple of phones will give us all the pics we need.

Mind you, if I had a spare £500, I'd quite like to be taking a Sony RX100 M3 - think that would be the ultimate no compromise holiday compact camera, small size, decent sensor, etc. But it's £500!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

We took a Canon DSLR in 2011 and it was a bit much to carry and we had to leave in lockers for the rides. For 2014 we took a Panasonic DMC-FT25 compact camera. It's fully waterproof and took some great shots. It's also very small and fitted in my pocket. There is probably a newer model now, but for £100 I was very impressed.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
MrPenguin
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Likewise I have a DSLR but too bulky to carry around. We wanted something half decent compact wise and went for a Canon SX720 and couldn't be happier. Reviews are good and think it's on sale in Argos.
MrPenguin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

I would always take my DSLR - i've an 18-300mm lens which stays on most of the time, but i'll only take into the parks once for each on a trip.

Last year we had a red shouldered Hawk roost on the tree outside our balcony at SSR, and i had left DSLR at home. Phone photos just didn't cut it.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

You can't go wrong with a compact in all honesty as long as you buy a ' name ' make. Having said that I'll be taking my OM-D 5 and a Panny 20mm- about the same size as a compact...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I also have a DSLR but didn't want to carry it around the parks so i bought a Sony HX60. The zoom is fab, i love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01485.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	64021  

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

OP, how much do you want to spend.
Ig you are used to a dslr and use its features, you need to think carefully about what you want. e.g. fast lens. This may drastically affect your choice. I went for the Lumix LX100 because of the lens.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List