Notices

Old 30 Aug 18, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Toronto The Third -Day 2

We had read about the PATH which is an underground 30 km walk way around mainly the financial district. So we fancied a look.

We got up and ready having breakfast in the condo. The streetcar stops right outside our building so we jumped on that $6.50 for both of us to get Downtown. It took about 50 minutes, so not a quick mode of travel!

We knew we could get to the PATH from the Eaton Centre so got off there and headed in. It is basically a big underground shopping and eating centre. It's main purpose is to allow city workers to avoid the extremes of heat and cold. It was interesting to see and we walked only about 3km of it.

We headed along the PATH to Union Station which we knew was near the harbour front and we'd never seen it before. It was a really nice looking train station.

We the followed the signs for the CN Tower and came out right at the base. It really is impressively tall!

I love the high rise buildings in the city.

We walked past the Aquarium and saw this guy.

Then round past the Rogers Centre.

I tried to get a shot of the Canada sign with no one in front but the other tourists were to quick going in and out to get there photos. So I've ended up with someone covering the maple leaf.

Across the street was an outdoor train museum, so we had a wander around here.

There was a restaurant here and as customers were being served their food, this little guy was enjoying something under one of the tables.

We spotted this Blue Jay statue from the street.

By now we were hungry and ready for lunch so headed into a bar/restaurant and had some food and a cold beer. I've forgotten to mention the temperatures have been around 29 since we arrived and the humidity is ridiculous!

We the strolled along the harbour front. This place has really been developed since our last visit.

We headed along to Sugar Beach and had a seat in the sun for half an hour or so.

We saw this pirate ship full of kids going past, sounded like they were having a great time.

Back on our feet we headed back into the city and came across St Lawrence Market. We didn't venture in as we plan to come back for a proper look around.

Then we came to the flat iron building.

There's a bar in the basement here so we headed in and had another cold beer.

This mural is painted on the thick end of the building.

There's now a lovely park area behind the flat iron building with this fountain of dogs looking up to the golden bone. I thought it was really lovely.

The golden bone!

This is the map of the PATH network.

It was now time to head back for the streetcar. Although we foolishly failed to click that it was Home time for everyone and the streetcar was stupidly busy! It took over an hour to get back.

We had dinner in the condo and then, because obviously we hadn't done enough walking, we thought we'd do the 30 minute walk to my aunt and uncle's house. We sat out on their decking for a couple of hours and the my uncle drove us the 7 minutes back.

Old 30 Aug 18, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Jake71 - 30 Aug 18 12:34 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 18, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We did the PATH in June this year, incredible place. The harbour area is lovely, found a shop that did amazing hot sandwiches. Toronto is a great place to visit but it can be very expensive to eat out and drink.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We loved the PATH (and the Montreal equivalent!).
You certainly covered a lot of ground! Do go to the Lawrence Market. They have some great food stalls - and bagel!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List