Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 5 Nov 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Beans beans beans!

Hello! I would really love some good recipes that use beans. Beans of any type, recipes of any type. I would like to get more beans into our diet because they are super healthy, low calorie (I need to lose weight) and because I'd like to reduce our meat intake a bit (for environmental reasons).

I made bean burgers last night which were really nice but I'm lacking in inspiration for other meals.

I'm perfectly happy to make dishes that also incorporate meat as I'm only trying to reduce our meat intake not cut it out. A few vegetarian or vegan recipes would be great though 😀
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
I have yet to make this but it is on my todo list...

countryliving/food-dr...olives-recipe/

So no meat just fish and chick peas as the main veg. It looks amazing.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Black Bean salad
Tin of black beans in water drain
1yellow pepper
1red pepper
1red onion
Either an avocado or ripe mango ( I use the fresh mango in juice )
Small red chilli if desired
1-2 tablespoons of light oil I use light olive oil
Teaspoon red wine vinegar and juice of a lemon or lime
Dice the peppers onion and mix with the beans
If using mango drain and chop and add
If using avacado I don't slice and add it till ready to serve
Mix the oil vinegar and juice and the chopped chilli in a screw top jar
Then coat the salad if serving if not keep till ready to serve
Avocado version goes well with tex mex food
Mango with chicken or salmon
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks both of you.

I make a nice chickpea and chorizo stew. Fry finely diced onion and chorizo until browned, mix in tinned chickpeas. Make a bit of a sauce with some stock and passata. Season with paprika. Cook for a while. You can add any other veg you want, change the seasoning and I've also used quorn sausages instead of chorizo (needs more seasoning if done this way).
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
Thanks both of you.

I make a nice chickpea and chorizo stew. Fry finely diced onion and chorizo until browned, mix in tinned chickpeas. Make a bit of a sauce with some stock and passata. Season with paprika. Cook for a while. You can add any other veg you want, change the seasoning and I've also used quorn sausages instead of chorizo (needs more seasoning if done this way).
Linda McCartney do really nice chorizo sausages in the frozen department.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I put loads of kidney beans in my chilli. Having once promised the dish before checking the cupboard I can also confirm that baked beans can substitute in during an emergency with very little difference. Love chickpeas too, beans are just the most flexible
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Refried beans are great but probably not best for dieting. Fry some onions and garlic with chilli to taste (in bacon fat/butter/olive oil or other nice tasting fat, not vegetable oil), add mashed cooked or tinned beans (red kidney are traditional), fry until just starting to brown and stick, add some tomato ketchup, stir again, serve in tortillas with sour cream or grated cheese.

Just thinking on your comment OP about reducing meat for environmental reasons...if you eat loads of beans you'l likely be adding quite a bit to the atmospheric CO2 yourself
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 17, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I had the most amazing CowBoy Beans pot the other week, I mean seriously good. I can jot down the recipe if you like x
Old 19 Nov 17, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Minestrone soup. Use wholemeal pasta to make it healthier
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 17, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Refried beans are great but probably not best for dieting. Fry some onions and garlic with chilli to taste (in bacon fat/butter/olive oil or other nice tasting fat, not vegetable oil), add mashed cooked or tinned beans (red kidney are traditional), fry until just starting to brown and stick, add some tomato ketchup, stir again, serve in tortillas with sour cream or grated cheese.

Just thinking on your comment OP about reducing meat for environmental reasons...if you eat loads of beans you'l likely be adding quite a bit to the atmospheric CO2 yourself
Yep maybe ! 😜

Yes I'd love the recipe for cowboy beans pot please!

I made bean burgers again last night and this week I'm gonna make pasta with bean and chorizo and tuna and bean pasta bake. Neither of which are actually vegetarian though!