Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 6 Jan 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Well done.

Interesting article on DVC News about ROFR and how few Disney have done in the last year. I thought it would have been a lot more.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
Welcome home.
We bought resale too and have just done the 25 point direct add on...
can I ask what the 25 point direct add on is please?
skstorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
can I ask what the 25 point direct add on is please?
Some people who purchase DVC resale then purchase a 25 point add on contract direct from Disney. This way they get the benefits of direct membership and the blue membership card.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
Some people who purchase DVC resale then purchase a 25 point add on contract direct from Disney. This way they get the benefits of direct membership and the blue membership card.
It's only really worth it if you need a small add on contract anyway (I did) or buy annual passes. If you don't need either of these, the add on proposition is decidedly less value- 10% off restaurants, 20% off merchandise, Epcot Lounge and Moonlight Magic. UK buyers don't often get the APs unless they go twice in 12 months due to the very good deals we get on 14 day tickets compared to Americans.
Note you can only buy 25 direct after you already own, otherwise it's 50 or more (depending on policy at time) minimum as a non owner. It's also supposedly 50 minimum anyway at Copper Creek but they may change that if they are having trouble shifting it.
Some people think one day they'll close off this 'loophole' , others think it's anything but a loophole but makes them a lot of extra money and monetises a lot of resale contracts for them.
Some people think it's worth doing anyway as a kind of insurance in case they start giving away amazing stuff to direct buyers.
Remember these perks are not part of any contract. They are all purely marketing devices supplied by DVD (not DVC) and their partners to sell more timeshare. No one has any legal right to any of them and they can all be taken away on a whim, dependent on whether DVD think they help sell more new timeshare or not, or in the case of discounts, if Disney Parks think it doesn't make them additional revenues. These are the only considerations employed in offering these perks- will it make them more than it costs to give them.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

that explains why disney were telling me it was a 50 point minimum. What is DVD please? I am considering DVC and trying to learn as much as I can so if the opportunity comes up I know what I am talking about. Does the blue card give me Disney Vacation club membership?
skstorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
that explains why disney were telling me it was a 50 point minimum. What is DVD please? I am considering DVC and trying to learn as much as I can so if the opportunity comes up I know what I am talking about. Does the blue card give me Disney Vacation club membership?
DVD is Disney Vacation Development. This is the company that builds and sells the timeshares.
They then sell only one thing. They sell a lease in part of a room (a specific room) but this lease is represented by points. The deed everyone gets gives them this part leasehold title on a property.
This then means that the purchaser's ownership is governed by what is called a Declaration of Condominium. This cannot be altered unilaterally by DVD to the detriment of members.
This declaration sets out that all owners will, by appertuance to the deed, have membership to the DVC club. They will also all have home resort priority booking.
There are also membership rules, but they can be changed by the Disney Vacation Club Management Company, effectively the member's club, in reality controlled by DVD.
There is also the ability to trade into the main trading scheme which is currently RCI.
These are the legal rights. Every owner has this, direct or resale, and DVD would struggle legally to discriminate against resale buyers due to the above.
So every owner is a member of DVC, despite erroneous information you may read on Facebook etc. Membership of DVC has nothing to do with the card colour.
Now to try and sell more direct points, DVD offer direct buyers freebies outside of any contract. In fact when you buy direct you have to sign multiple disclaimers saying you agree these freebies are not contractual, you are not buying for this reason, and they can be taken away any time.
Despite this, people ignore what they've just signed, and say they are buying direct for these freebies, referred to as 'perks'. If you think about it, it is nonsensical- the marketing to buy direct is all around these freebies, but DVD are telling buyers not to buy for this reason!
When you buy any size direct contract you get a blue rather than white digital card. This then lets you get these non contractual perks.
So perks are marketing, and this marketing , the discounts, Moonlight Magic etc are simply there to sell more direct timeshare. They can remove them whenever, and if they are not resulting in more sales than cost, they will do it. Discounts may encourage more spending so this may also factor in.
At the moment DVD seemto think Moonlight Magic sells a ton of direct timeshare so they are ramping it up. Great if you just happen to be there at the time.
What DVD (not DVC) also do is allow you to trade out your points to cruises, or other non DVD Disney hotels (remember direct and resale can both use RCI). This though again is mainly marketing, but some people see some value. The points needed for these trade outs (there are odd exceptions) are very high. Thus usually you are better just renting your points and paying cash if you ever do not want to use DVC points for DVC rooms. For example I priced up the member's cruise and it was thousands cheaper renting and paying cash.
In reality for these trade outs you are renting your points via DVD without money changing hands. DVD takes those points you have traded out, and Disney sells them as cash rooms. Given the poor value they give members on the trade out, this must be a highly profitable side line for DVD and Disney, often at member's expense who can't be bothered or don't have the know how to do the maths and rent. Some like the convenience, fair enough, but as a financial decision it is often a very poor one.
So aside from what's in the contractual documents, everything else (including the exchanges outside RCI) is all non contractual marketing which can be removed any time.
Having said all that buying direct (I have both direct and resale) obviously has benefits unless they are taken away, but many of these do not benefit the UK visitor like people more local. Usually when they crunch the numbers, it's difficult for the buyer to justify a direct purchase based on perks , which remember, DVD tell you not to buy for.
A common strategy is buy the bulk of points resale and buy a small direct add on later to give the perks, if you assess you really need them.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 18, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
DVD is Disney Vacation Development. This is the company that builds and sells the timeshares.
They then sell only one thing. They sell a lease in part of a room (a specific room) but this lease is represented by points. The deed everyone gets gives them this part leasehold title on a property.
This then means that the purchaser's ownership is governed by what is called a Declaration of Condominium. This cannot be altered unilaterally by DVD to the detriment of members.
This declaration sets out that all owners will, by appertuance to the deed, have membership to the DVC club. They will also all have home resort priority booking.
There are also membership rules, but they can be changed by the Disney Vacation Club Management Company, effectively the member's club, in reality controlled by DVD.
There is also the ability to trade into the main trading scheme which is currently RCI.
These are the legal rights. Every owner has this, direct or resale, and DVD would struggle legally to discriminate against resale buyers due to the above.
So every owner is a member of DVC, despite erroneous information you may read on Facebook etc. Membership of DVC has nothing to do with the card colour.
Now to try and sell more direct points, DVD offer direct buyers freebies outside of any contract. In fact when you buy direct you have to sign multiple disclaimers saying you agree these freebies are not contractual, you are not buying for this reason, and they can be taken away any time.
Despite this, people ignore what they've just signed, and say they are buying direct for these freebies, referred to as 'perks'. If you think about it, it is nonsensical- the marketing to buy direct is all around these freebies, but DVD are telling buyers not to buy for this reason!
When you buy any size direct contract you get a blue rather than white digital card. This then lets you get these non contractual perks.
So perks are marketing, and this marketing , the discounts, Moonlight Magic etc are simply there to sell more direct timeshare. They can remove them whenever, and if they are not resulting in more sales than cost, they will do it. Discounts may encourage more spending so this may also factor in.
At the moment DVD seemto think Moonlight Magic sells a ton of direct timeshare so they are ramping it up. Great if you just happen to be there at the time.
What DVD (not DVC) also do is allow you to trade out your points to cruises, or other non DVD Disney hotels (remember direct and resale can both use RCI). This though again is mainly marketing, but some people see some value. The points needed for these trade outs (there are odd exceptions) are very high. Thus usually you are better just renting your points and paying cash if you ever do not want to use DVC points for DVC rooms. For example I priced up the member's cruise and it was thousands cheaper renting and paying cash.
In reality for these trade outs you are renting your points via DVD without money changing hands. DVD takes those points you have traded out, and Disney sells them as cash rooms. Given the poor value they give members on the trade out, this must be a highly profitable side line for DVD and Disney, often at member's expense who can't be bothered or don't have the know how to do the maths and rent. Some like the convenience, fair enough, but as a financial decision it is often a very poor one.
So aside from what's in the contractual documents, everything else (including the exchanges outside RCI) is all non contractual marketing which can be removed any time.
Having said all that buying direct (I have both direct and resale) obviously has benefits unless they are taken away, but many of these do not benefit the UK visitor like people more local. Usually when they crunch the numbers, it's difficult for the buyer to justify a direct purchase based on perks , which remember, DVD tell you not to buy for.
A common strategy is buy the bulk of points resale and buy a small direct add on later to give the perks, if you assess you really need them.
Wow thank you so much for that info it was really helpful. I am not sure I have completely understood it all yet so going to read it a couple of times till I get it straight
Old 6 Feb 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We closed today 😀 6 weeks from offer accepted, all very exciting!
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Welcome Home!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Florida Gator View Post
We closed today 😀 6 weeks from offer accepted, all very exciting!
Keep your eye on the Comptroller's website and when you appear ring up and get your member number and password. Some CMS more helpful than others though so you may have to try a few times selecting different options.