Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 18, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

My eldest son said to me the other day “I wish you still had Facebook as you could let everyone know when we do nice /funny things ! “ I got rid of it as I was fed up of “perfect” lives or the cryptic posts !
Old 18 Feb 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes - I feel as though my house is a disgraceful pigsty! It’s really not, but I’ve just spent an hour twiddling with the angles of pillows and candles and whatever else for absolutely no good reason!

I only really use Instagram, I love a good scroll but I do have to remind myself to get off it and live in the moment every so often, I could waste days on there. I’m also guilty of wanting to redecorate the house every other week when I see a nice pic 😬
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Suffolk dad
Very Serious Dibber

Aside from the Dibb and a couple of golf forums, I don’t partake in social media in any form, I cancelled Facebook, Twitter a few years ago and have never had an Instagram/snapchat/anything else account.

- I’m not interested in what you’re having for dinner

- I’m not interested in what’s happening on your fake farm, theme park etc

- I’m not interested in what you bought online or in person

- I’m really not interested in what your children/dog/cat has done today that made you laugh

- I’m even less interested in that argument that you’ve just had with your neighbour/mum/dad/husband/wife/person in the supermarket car park etc etc etc

- I really don’t give a toss about the the cryptic, open ended comment you just posted about how you’re feeling, and won’t be asking you to go into more detail.

If it’s something you would otherwise phone me to tell me, I’m just not interested. If you’re really a friend we’ll see or speak to each other soon, tell me about it then.
Suffolk dad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KC2014
Excited about Disney

I think it can cause some people to feel pressurised to do what everyone else does but I do think there is a fine line between showing some nice photos of your family/holidays etc and almost bragging about stuff.

My social media use is generally to keep in touch with people and I am on a chat group where we do meet up in real life now and again. I am restricted in what I can post as my teens ask that I check before posting anything about them (I agree with this). I do post some photos or comments for my youngest child but only if appropriate and I tell him what I post.
KC2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Huddo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 68
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I did once post on FB that some people need two FB accounts - one for their real life and one for the perfect life they make out they have!

No one has a perfect life, no matter how much they make out that they have the perfect husband, family, house etc. No one and nothing is perfect - fact.

I am following less and less people on Facebook and using it less and less so I think it is only a matter of time before I am off it completely.

Ultimately I/we now do what is right for us but I can see where some people would feel peer pressure looking at what their friends post.
Old 18 Feb 18, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

I don’t have any social media accounts, I’m not sure why, I just never bothered signing up.

I have friends who use it to varying degrees but I’ve never been tempted

I was chatting to a friend earlier this week about what she was doing over half, she had been to an indoor sledging/skiing place with her DH and kids and another family they know.

She said her family enjoyed it but the kids from the other family were not keen and one in particular was very vocal about it. The child whined most of the time until the dad lost his temper, had a load rant and swore at the child and insisted they left. Lo and behold, later that evening the other family posted a bragging Facebook post about what a great day they had had!

Just goes to show that you can’t believe everything you read... especially on social media!
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
My eldest son said to me the other day “I wish you still had Facebook as you could let everyone know when we do nice /funny things ! “ I got rid of it as I was fed up of “perfect” lives or the cryptic posts !
I always smile at the cryptic posts followed by “what’s up hun-big hugs” and “i’ll pM you”. 😂
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Social media is not the real world. Even on instagram and snap chat it’s full of filters.
I use social media less and less, I will just have a quick look.
My dd would rather stay in and study. Sounds like you are doing what your kids want, it’s just different to other kids want to do.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
I always smile at the cryptic posts followed by “what’s up hun-big hugs” and “i’ll pM you”. 😂
Trouble is I found myself doing the same sort of thIng 😀 and I thought I may come across as bragging so I got rid . I don’t have Twitter , instagram , snapchat or Facebook . I don’t feel like I miss out .
Old 18 Feb 18, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Sometimes it’s kind of ok when you get a karma moment, it’s happened to me on here x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List