Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 7 Mar 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlangela
Imagineer

Galaxy's Edge - Droid or Lightsaber

My son who will be 9 wants to do both but with the cost we've said he can pick one.

What are your experiences, good and bad so I can try and help him decide?
Pre Trip Report| Trip Report

Charlangela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

Our kids did the droids and it was a ok experience.
It did not last very long 15 mins as there were only 3 bits of the droid to put together.
It is expensive for what it is and to be honest they have not looked at them since they got home. Somewhere in a box.

Tip send them back to your hotel or to the front of the park as carrying them around all day is a pain.

I would say save you $s unless he really plays with remote control toys.

Can't comment on the lightsaber experience as I could not justify spending that amount of money on it. What I have seen on youtube it does look like a better Star Wars experience.

Edited at 10:30 PM.
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

My ds was 11 and we went to Galaxy’s Edge on opening day. He also had to choose between which one to make and the only appointment we could make on that day was the droid, as we were flying home the following day. They give them a basket and they watch all the parts going by on a conveyor belt and choose the ones they want and add them to the basket. They then go to the stations where the droids are assembled. It’s a nice experience, he’s hoping to do the lightsaber one next time.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebecca_
slightly serious Dibber

My OH is a big Star Wars fan and did both on our trip in 2019. He enjoyed them both but would say if you can only do 1 to definitely go with the lightsaber. The whole experience is much more in depth and it was a lot of fun. Like the previous poster said we found the droid build over pretty quickly as once you've selected your parts there's not a great deal to do.
Old 9 Mar 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Ok for what it's worth as haven't done any of them but have watched both but really you can get 2 Droids for 1 Lightsaber & $200 is pretty expensive for a toy for a 9 year old- I can tell you that as a 9 y/o it wouldn't have lasted 10 mins! Part of the whole Droid experience is to carry them about GE as similar to HP at Uni, there are interactive experiences within GE & they are "supposed" to talk to any other Droids that they "meet". I'd also be prepared for the Droids workshop that it's just one big "Upgrade" shop, with all the parts you can buy to make your Droid really "special"- Disney speak for part with $$$$$$
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 21, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I didn't do either the droid or the lightsaber - but the build a droid workshop is part of a larger shop, and you can still pop in and see people building their droids (even if you are not building one yourself)! Don't think you can do that for the lightsaber experience.

I think there used to be a CM near the droid shop with demo droids (in late 2019). So you could also use that to gauge if a droid would be something your son might want!
Old 9 Mar 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BebeYorkshire
Apprentice Imagineer

My OH is a big star wars fan, he did the lightsabre experience in 2019 and loves it. It's very immersive, far more so than building a droid is. The photos I have of him building the sabre are brilliant, he looks like a little kid on Christmas morning 😁
BebeYorkshire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List