Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Apr 19, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
lozkin
Getting Excited

Considering Indirect for the first time - help...

Hi all

Looking to plan our trip for August 2020 - I realise most flights aren't out yet, but just looking to get all the info needed for when they are.

We are based in Birmingham, and our 2 previous trips have been via Gatwick which meant a night in a hotel before the flight, and an overnight return flight and a very tired and uncomfortable 3 hour drive back the following morning.

I'm thinking that it would actually be more convenient to do an indirect flight via Birmingham - I've had a look on SkyScanner for this summer to give me a rough idea, but I wondered if people can recommend any particular routes or websites to check for me to keep my eye on. Also, does anybody know how an indirect flight from Birmingham compares in price to a direct flight from Gatwick?

Thanks in advance
lozkin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
raven45678
Helping Minnie

We went from Birmingham via Dublin in March - Aer Lingus often have good deals on their website and you get the bonus of walking off the plane in Orlando as a domestic passenger, which is worth its weight in gold after a long day travelling.
raven45678 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
lozkin
Getting Excited

Thanks!
lozkin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickey's Magic
Excited about Disney

Mickey's Magic's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We went indirect for the first time last August and I have to say it was a complete nightmare and we agreed that we wouldn't look to do it again. Obviously the major benefit is the price! You can get indirect for sometimes half the price of a direct flight.

If you're travelling with young children I wouldn't recommend it as its stressful getting between planes and waiting for luggage, especially on the way there with having to go through immigration at the port of entry.

My advice would be go for layovers that are 2 hours plus as this leaves more wriggle room for delays.

We flew via Philadelphia with American Airlines in the summer.

DLP: 1997 (Cheyenne), 2013 (Offsite; Dream Castle), 2017 (Newport Bay), 2019 (Sequoia Lodge)
Mickey's Magic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Try Aer Lingus BHX-DUB-MCO
They come out cheaper than the same flights booked via BA.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Indirect is fine when it works but can be a nightmare.
We have done quite a few indirect and never had an issue.
Always make sure you have enough time at least 2 hours between flights if you land in the USA and then get an internal flight.
We have done klm via Amsterdam from our local airport to USA and it's great. No long drive home but not sure you can go to mco from ams direct

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaynew
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I don't know if this helps you but the following link is the travel day from my trip report. About half way down it describes the nightmare we had going indirect through Atlanta with kids I can't believe it has been two years and we are planning another trip. Despite what we went through, we would go indirect again.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1021036
Old 12 Apr 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Hawaii04
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Mobile

Always go indirect and never had a problem. Travelled with 3 children too.
Hawaii04 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
asmidir
Excited about Disney

We've travelled indirect for the last 4 years - various routes with overnights before 2 flights and inbetween flights - takes more planning and you need to do research on airports and how long it might take to get to gates when doing a transfer/layover - would agree that 2 hours for a US layover is best to avoid stress on making connections.

The benefit is price - we were regularly traveling for around £300 per person in August - the saving could almost pay for all the theme park tickets or accommodation.

Worth the effort though as you soon forget about the travel day the following morning in Orlando!
asmidir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Mjspin
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We also travel for around £300-400 in school holidays by travelling indirect. Never had a problem yet (although Virgin once asked if we would travel a day late in return for a free return ticket anywhere on their network). For us it is worth the possible risk of a missed connection as using this route means we can afford to go every year rather than every other year. I’d take a day if possible inconvenience for that every time. Time wise we end up landing at MCO a couple of hours after the direct UK flights but as our connection is usually in US we arrive as domestic and so arguably leave the airport at around same time as direct flight due to domestic arrival.

Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
Mjspin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List