Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Nov 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ds4ljs View Post
Ok so sat with DD today whilst she logged on to show me the UCAS website. She actually has an offer from Leeds. She thought it was an interview offer🙄. She has an interview in Liverpool next Weds. Do I go with her? What do you do whilst they are at interview? Any help/advice gratefully received.
Im going with DD to Lancaster for her interview on Wednesday( Its her insurance option) We live in the South East, so its a long way on her own. Plus I like visiting and seeing where she may end up. They have invited parents/guests in the morning part and then free to wander campus/library/coffee shop in the afternoon. Im not sure how its going to go but no doubt will be fuelled by Costa.

Edited at 10:40 PM.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I went on the train with my dd for a bit of moral support but I went to Costa while she went to her interview. I sat there for 3 hours, I was practically swimming in tea!
This will be me on Wednesday
Old 22 Nov 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylover43
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 158
Originally Posted by nickimiz View Post
Really like roehampton, also applying to Salford, but heart is set on the first one, so fingers crossed
My DS is in his 1st year at Roehampton, so if you have any questions I’m sure he wouldn’t mind answering them
Old Key West August 2012
Port Orleans Riverside August 2014
NY/HRH and Beach Club July/Aug 2016
disneylover43 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
We’re off To Bournemouth next weekend with youngest daughter, and then Uni of Somerset (Taunton) on the Wednesday after. She is looking at theatrical makeup and special effects. Probably more likely to start 2021 rather than 2020 but depends what the Uni’s have to say. Might be better for her to have a year out completing an arts based subject (photography? ) to go with the beauty and makeup skills she has been doing. And also continuing working in the beauty industry to gain experience, but we shall see.

Eldest is in her 2nd year of Uni so have experience of all the finance etc. But is strange to think this time next year it could just be me and OH living at home on our own

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks everyone. I did wonder if I was being over protective. I like the idea of exploring a bit more of where she may be living next year. After chatting to her, she’s glad I’m going with her. I shall just make myself scarce at the appropriate moment! It’s a stones throw from the cathedral so I may go in there too. It’s lovely.

Leeds has an applicant day in January but we’ve been invited to that so no dilemma there.

Edited at 10:51 AM.
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
This will be me on Wednesday
Me too! May need my book!
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

When we went to an interview day at York last year, I'd say the vast majority had a parent/carer/someone with them. When the DCs were at their interviews we were just sat around having cake!

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Debsie25 View Post
Hi Nimbus

I totally sympathise. DD's school has been next to useless by not explaining the process properly to the students.

They were given the impression they had to wait for the teachers to provide them with their references before they send the application to UCAS, so they all waited.

Only to have their Head of Year come round to them all on Tuesday complaining and asking why no-one had applied yet. Stating the students are supposed to send off their part of the application first and then the school fills out the reference section.

DD told him "but we were told to wait for the school to do their part first, if I'd have known I'd have sent mine off weeks ago".

Apparently he looked very sheepish and left the room!

So now, like you we are hoping the teachers get a move on.

Oh no. Yes, sometimes the school isn't great at explaining the process.

In fairness to the school this time, they did explain the process. It's just that one particular teacher hadn't added her references yet and had had the form for over 2 weeks. If DD hadn't pestered them a few times then who knows how long it would've sat there in the system.

At the point that the school is about to send the form off to UCAS, the person organising it invites the student in for a quick chat and DD has now had her quick chat on Friday. So we think the form has been sent in (?). However, DD said she was expecting to receive an email saying the form had been submitted by hasn't received one yet.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
At the point that the school is about to send the form off to UCAS, the person organising it invites the student in for a quick chat and DD has now had her quick chat on Friday. So we think the form has been sent in (?). However, DD said she was expecting to receive an email saying the form had been submitted by hasn't received one yet.
This was similar with my DS - they had a quick chat with the teacher organising their form.

I've just asked him and he said they should get an email along the lines of 'your application is now with your school for approval', and then once the school have confirmed it, they should get another email saying that.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

DD has just received her invitation to interview at Oxford Uni (St Anne’s college).
Beyond pleased that she’s been invited but keeping myself grounded as Oxford is not her first choice (Warwick is).
Fingers crossed others hear today too
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List