Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Mar 17, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by bella9 View Post
Absolute, flipping rip off, Mr G, makes my blood boil. Every time I fill up here, I do so, reluctantly; over there, I don't even blink an eyelid, but am amazed as to how cheaply I can fill my hire car - around $20.
I'd rather pay the extra on fuel and (currently) have access to free healthcare, than have to pay privately like in the US
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I'd rather pay the extra on fuel and (currently) have access to free healthcare, than have to pay privately like in the US
Hmmm, well, healthcare here isn't free - it's a huge myth. Yes, it's expensive to go private, as it is here, but they don't have to put up with the queues and horrendous waiting lists. My cousins have insurance, and they get seen much quicker, often get results (from bloods, for example) while they wait, and pay for what they use.

Nearly forgot, don't know for other cities, but there are hospitals in Boston and NY for people on low income/benefits. They won't get the star treatment but they will have access to some treatments - again, don't know the ins n outs.

Edited at 03:42 PM.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
From what I've heard free healthcare in the U.K. is pretty dire these days. Most relatives and friends I have that are in the U.K. Seem to pay for private healthcare anyway.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
From what I've heard free healthcare in the U.K. is pretty dire these days. Most relatives and friends I have that are in the U.K. Seem to pay for private healthcare anyway.
In which case you have heard wrong. There is much which could be improved around health care in particular around A+E. However, overall it still provides an excellent service.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

It's not brill in a lot of cases, and we all know that. How many times do posters on here suggest going private - lost count.

I had my bloods done to check for Vit D levels, my surgery only send these off once a month, so, due to timing, my bloods were sat in the fridge for nearly a month waiting to be sent off. When I told my Boston cousin, she couldn't believe it - her bloods take couple days tops. My NY cousin waited in the clinic for her results.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
It's not brill in a lot of cases, and we all know that. How many times do posters on here suggest going private - lost count.

I had my bloods done to check for Vit D levels, my surgery only send these off once a month, so, due to timing, my bloods were sat in the fridge for nearly a month waiting to be sent off. When I told my Boston cousin, she couldn't believe it - her bloods take couple days tops. My NY cousin waited in the clinic for her results.
Bella9, while I can see why this would upset its not the fault of the NHS. Its the fault of your GP who is a private contractor. They are choosing to send the bloods less often.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Hmmm, well, healthcare here isn't free - it's a huge myth. Yes, it's expensive to go private, as it is here, but they don't have to put up with the queues and horrendous waiting lists. My cousins have insurance, and they get seen much quicker, often get results (from bloods, for example) while they wait, and pay for what they use.

Nearly forgot, don't know for other cities, but there are hospitals in Boston and NY for people on low income/benefits. They won't get the star treatment but they will have access to some treatments - again, don't know the ins n outs.

My SIL can't get an appointment with a primary care Dr until May, as he is a new patient, my dh is waiting 3 weeks to see a consultant for injections in his back as he has herniated discs. I usually spend at least 45 minutes in the waiting room to see any of my Dr's and we pay through the nose for that privilege.

Cherish the NHS!
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

UK healthcare is excellent an an emergency A&E type situation ie/ car crash / bad accident

long term low priority stuff is a nightmare with waiting lists etc
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Gas prices have been holding steady for quite a while, whe it does rise it goes up by 25 cents a time which seems a lot but that's per gallon.

Its forecast to rise because of the summer blend. Always makes me laugh that, especially in Fl!
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
Bella9, while I can see why this would upset its not the fault of the NHS. Its the fault of your GP who is a private contractor. They are choosing to send the bloods less often.
OK, D, I get ya. I see my GP as part of the NHS, maybe I'm wrong.

There are many more issues with the NHS, but I don't want to be anymore negative - I have several family members and friends that work within it, and I get a whole nother side to the organisation.