Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Sep 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ajsmom
Trying for More Ears

Flying mco-jfk-gla baggage question

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked before. I’m returning home on the above route with Delta next July & just wanted to check that I do need to collect our bags at JFK & take them to baggage drop for the onward flight to Glasgow
1st time travelling with a stop in the US so will probably be back with a million other silly questions before next July 😀
Old 15 Sep 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
No. As you aren’t clearing customs at jfk they will be checked through.

If you are also flying indirect on the way there then you will have to collect your bags to walk through customs.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Your bags will be checked through to Glasgow on the way back.

Just to add connecting at JFK is really easy. All of Delta's gates are really close together.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ajsmom
Trying for More Ears

Thank you both so much!
Flying direct on way out but indirect back, normally do BA through Gatwick but this was a much better deal.
Old 15 Sep 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by galaxyflorida View Post
Just to add connecting at JFK is really easy. All of Delta's gates are really close together.
Though you may have to change terminals (from 2 to 4 on a return), depending upon the terminal at which the domestic flight arrives.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ajsmom
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Though you may have to change terminals (from 2 to 4 on a return), depending upon the terminal at which the domestic flight arrives.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Is quite easy to get between terminals? I have just under 3 hours which I’ve been told is plenty of time, it’s just this will be the 1st trip to Disney I’ve done on my own with the kids since my husband died so will be a bit stressed out for many reasons.
Old 15 Sep 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ajsmom View Post
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Is quite easy to get between terminals? I have just under 3 hours which I’ve been told is plenty of time, it’s just this will be the 1st trip to Disney I’ve done on my own with the kids since my husband died so will be a bit stressed out for many reasons.
Yes it’s really easy. Terminal 2 and 4 are linked by a bus called the ‘jitney’ which you can use airside. So if you land in Terminal 2 on your MCO-JFK flight, you just follow the signs to Terminal 4 (it might be signed as A & B Gates) and get on the bus. 3 hours will be fine. We only ended up with only an hour and a bit due to a delay and still had plenty of time for food/toilets/shopping.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ajsmom View Post
So sorry for your loss, but hope you all have a great time on the trip.

Yes, as mentioned in the post above, it's pretty easy to transfer from T2 to T4 on the return.

If your flight arrives to T2, don't exit the terminal, stay airside and take the bus from next to gate C60 (T2 is small, it won't be hard to find). There are two stops in T4, next to gates B18 and B54.

If you know your onward flight gate in T4, you can get off at the closest stop, but even if not, go to the stop at B18 and it may just mean a few more minutes walk in T4, it is all one building. Of course, your domestic flight might arrive to T4, in which case you just walk to the next gate.

With a 3 hour connection, you will have plenty of time unless there is a serious delay on the domestic (even a two hour delay would leave you with enough time to make the connection between terminals).

It's a little more complex on the way out, though quite manageable, but I guess you are not going out by that route?

Edited at 01:46 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ajsmom
Trying for More Ears

galaxyflorida & Peko, thank you both for taking the time to answer & provide me with such detailed instructions, I really appreciate your help.

Peko you guessed right, I’m flying out direct Glasgow to Orlando as no direct flights on our homeward trip so having to brave the indirect flight with a US stop.