Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Jan 17, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisylou View Post
That is my concern but from previous trips having all the cases in the room take up a lot of space
I do understand what your problem is even if you put something over the cases it just makes it look more obvious.
I was going to stop off at a wallmart one year on route to our villa when we got out of the car and I looked through the windows I was not risking it.
Although in your case you would only be loosing your cases and have the messing about reporting the damaged car to police and then getting it changed, I still would not risk it.

If you could use sets of cases you could then place them inside each other and put them in storage but it would cost $5 per day per bag
orlandobaggagestorage/location/
Old 15 Jan 17, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Just find a corner of the room and put them there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisylou
Excited about Disney

[QUOTE=TEL N KEL;12217623]I do understand what your problem is even if you put something over the cases it just makes it look more obvious.
I was going to stop off at a wallmart one year on route to our villa when we got out of the car and I looked through the windows I was not risking it.
Although in your case you would only be loosing your cases and have the messing about reporting the damaged car to police and then getting it changed, I still would not risk it.

If you could use sets of cases you could then place them inside each other and put them in storage but it would cost $5 per day per bag
orlandobaggagestorage/location/[/QUOTE

Thanks I'm not going to risk it so have asked the car hire company if I can swap from the SUV to a saloon car. At least that way the luggage won't be on show.
Lisylou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisylou
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
Just find a corner of the room and put them there.
Not a great deal of space in those rooms
Lisylou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

When we had a studio at OKW I used our big suitcase as a bedside table as there is only one table between the 2 beds and I needed somewhere to put my book/ glasses / glass of water.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisylou
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
When we had a studio at OKW I used our big suitcase as a bedside table as there is only one table between the 2 beds and I needed somewhere to put my book/ glasses / glass of water.
Could be a plan
Old 15 Jan 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

This problem is often mentioned on Trip Advisor. Two tips I've noted are to either cover the cases with beach towels or similar, but it's obvious then that you are hiding something. Or take a bicycle chain type lock with you and lock all the cases together through the handles. This would hopefully deter any opportunist thieves as they couldn't grab a bag and run.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisylou
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
This problem is often mentioned on Trip Advisor. Two tips I've noted are to either cover the cases with beach towels or similar, but it's obvious then that you are hiding something. Or take a bicycle chain type lock with you and lock all the cases together through the handles. This would hopefully deter any opportunist thieves as they couldn't grab a bag and run.
Thanks for the tips
Old 16 Jan 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

We have had this "problem" in the past.
We once had a Suburban with no cover.
Our solution was a cheap throw over rug from Walmart , a navy blue one.
With the dark tint windows and the rug you could not see the cases at all, not even the hump made by them. But I think the major factor on this was the fact that the interior was black.
So with black interior, blacked windows and the navy rug, everything just blended.

May have been lucky. In over twenty years of FL holidays I've never seen a back window smashed. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it doesn't mean that because you put cases in the back the Windows will be smashed.. I'd happily take cases in the car to parks and restaurants, but not to the malls, which seem to get bad press for break ins.

Another tip is to try to blend in with the locals. No English, Scottish etc flags thar clip to the roof gutters, and keep the interior clear of Disney toys, towels maps etc, remove the satnav, put it out of sight. And don't leave the hotel parking pass on view on the mirror or dashboard.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We've just returned from OKW and I thought the rooms (studio) were very spacious - especially if you can put cases inside each other. Off the top of my head the connecting doors to a 1 bed unit would allow for the cases to be put in front of them possibly laid one on top another rather than stood up (IYSWIM)?

Also an option maybe to put them with bell services? We left 3 cases in their long term storage when going on a cruise for a week without any issue so this may be worth considering - you could tell them you are checking out and then returning? I'd consider this option - obviously we tipped when we dropped them off and then when we returned to OKW we rang and they were delivered to our room and we tipped again.
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List