Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Jan 17, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
May have been lucky. In over twenty years of FL holidays I've never seen a back window smashed. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it doesn't mean that because you put cases in the back the Windows will be smashed.. I'd happily take cases in the car to parks and restaurants, but not to the malls, which seem to get bad press for break ins.
I have. And a friend of mine lost a lot of shopping from her SUV in a mall car park.

It does happen, and its just not worth the risk

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

The boot cover for our Burb on last trip was located in the floor storage area in the boot with spare wheel changing kit.
I'm personally not sure how much different it would make to me in choosing a vehicle.
It's a hugely personal choice.
Virtually 100% of reports of theft from vehicles I have seen have been the theft of shopping bags from mall carparks rather than the suitcase type.
If I was a thief weigh-in up options.
Mall shopping bags definitely new products.
Suitcases possibly a load of old dirty clothes.
I know my location of choice.
As always each to own.

Edited at 03:31 PM.
duncanb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Mobile

We had this issue in California last year on our road trip, we had a Kia sorrento, as per a previous poster it has darkened windows and a black interior, so we popped to Walmart and bought a black flat sheet which we put over the top and you couldn't tell anything was in there

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mazzie
Imagineer

mazzie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
This was one reason we declined an upgrade on our last road trip because they are visible. I hadn't even thought about it until other half mentioned it.
mazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by RobertWestwood View Post
I have. And a friend of mine lost a lot of shopping from her SUV in a mall car park.

It does happen, and its just not worth the risk
Yes, as I said I wouldn't do it going to a mall. Thanks for backing this up
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
May have been lucky. In over twenty years of FL holidays I've never seen a back window smashed. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it doesn't mean that because you put cases in the back the Windows will be smashed.. I'd happily take cases in the car to parks and restaurants, but not to the malls, which seem to get bad press for break ins.
Its never happened to me but I have seen tourists on there last day doing last minute shopping only to return to there car where they left there cases to find it broken into.

I could not begin to feel how they must of felt, all for being in holiday mode.
I would not leave things on display that would temp the opportunist at home so play by the same rules when on Holiday.
It most certainly does go on it is actually rife

clickorlando/news/thi...isney-property
Thieves break into 22 cars on Disney property

wftv/news/local/guest...otel/304253886
Guests awaken to find several cars broken into outside Orlando hotel
Deputies believe that thieves are targeting tourists visiting the Orlando area.

Edited at 07:29 PM.
TEL N KEL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

At the malls, we parked near to the security towers, where possible, and did an extra few meters walk. All the gubbins went into the glove box / storage containers. Also the Traverse had no remote central locking and only 1 key (CHEERS Alamo), so the paranoia kicked in and a double lap of the car each time it was parked for locked doors was done. Heard of people putting a penny in the door handles or jamming the signals so that the central locking does not work (urban myth? ). I'll be double checking next May, even if the bus has a fob.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TEL N KEL View Post
Its never happened to me but I have seen tourists on there last day doing last minute shopping only to return to there car where they left there cases to find it broken into.

I could not begin to feel how they must of felt, all for being in holiday mode.
I would not leave things on display that would temp the opportunist at home so play by the same rules when on Holiday.
It most certainly does go on it is actually rife

clickorlando/news/thi...isney-property
Thieves break into 22 cars on Disney property

wftv/news/local/guest...otel/304253886
Guests awaken to find several cars broken into outside Orlando hotel
Deputies believe that thieves are targeting tourists visiting the Orlando area.
So if you noticed them, as you say, they were recognisable as tourists. As per my previous posts blending in as local may help. A horrible thing to happen to them esp on the last day.

Saying that opportunist thieves will just smash windows if they even suspect anything inside.
If going shopping to malls etc, as others say, parking beside the security towers may help.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

How about you bring the suitcases in from the car and leave them in your room whilst out shopping and then on your return you can put them back in the car again. This way they'll only be taking up space in the room when you're out.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
The rooms at OKW are pretty big, I think you'll be ok with the cases. We had ours in the wardrobe, we've often put them under the beds as well.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List