Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 31 Jan 18, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by AGJ View Post
I feel completely oblivious here, people buy medication to bring home? Why?
Any medication I've bought over there knocks spots off anything we have over her.

The eye drops for hayfever are so much more effective for example. Then there's the medication you can only get on prescription here.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cuxi View Post
Any medication I've bought over there knocks spots off anything we have over her.

The eye drops for hayfever are so much more effective for example. Then there's the medication you can only get on prescription here.
There's usually a reason you can only get it on prescription or in an actual pharmacy though. (I work in a UK pharmacy)

Can't believe people are self medicating with antibiotic creams - in an age were we are trying to reduce their usage to stop bacteria becoming resistant.

Cold and flu tablets should only be taken if you are not on any heart medication - blood pressure tablets count too, unless under recommendation of a doctor.

I can understand people wanting large quantities of paracetamol/acetominophen cheaply, but the stories I could tell of people mixing and matching totally unsuitable medication - "because you can buy it in the supermarket in Florida" would raise the hairs on your neck!
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

What is an antibiotic cream used for? (sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I've never heard of this and multiple people have said they get it!).

I usually buy Orajel as I can be quite prone to mouth ulcers and this is far better than Bonjela which now does nothing for me.

When we were there in NY in November we both got cold/flu tablets that looked like strepsils but where red, I can't remember their name, but they were really good and completely numb your throat!

I also stock up on toothpaste
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by Cuxi View Post
Acetaminophen ... You can buy tubs of up to 1000. We find them better than Paracetamol but you can only take every six hours.
Theyre the same thing.
Old 31 Jan 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

I can understand this for the increased volumes you can buy or better tasting alternatives but surely the medication is broadly the same as ours, just a different brand?

The only significant exception I'm aware of is Neosporin (and generic alternatives) antibiotic cream, something that is banned over the counter in this country for good reason (it promotes antibiotic resistant strains of MRSA).

I do see an awful lot more 'snake oil' products over there that purport to be better but aren't for sale here because the manufacturers would be fined for making such claims.

Modified release paracetamol (quoted earlier in the thread) is a good example of this as it's statistically no more effective than normal paracetamol for the treatment of osteoarthritis (it was actually shown to be a little less effective but this was within the margin of error for the study). Special "modified release" preparations are often a method that unscrupulous drug companies use to re-patent and make more money out of old drugs that have gone off patent.
Old 31 Jan 18, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I get Dramamine for motion sickness. I used to buy Sea Legs in the UK which had the same active ingredient, but it hasn’t been available for years. My GP tried to get it for me, but it wasn’t available.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
I get Dramamine for motion sickness. I used to buy Sea Legs in the UK which had the same active ingredient, but it hasn’t been available for years. My GP tried to get it for me, but it wasn’t available.
The main ingredient in Dramamine (Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride) is available both on prescription and over the counter in the UK.

Over the counter it is found in sleep products and some cold / flu products.

The secondary ingredient in Dramamine is a mild stimulant (much like caffeine) to offset the drowsiness of the main ingredient - you can get the same effect from a coffee or a coke.

Your GP may be unable to get it as a treatment for nausea, this is because there are many very similar but more effective drugs available. Cinnarizine, cyclizine and promethazine would be three examples - why not have a chat to them about one of those?
Old 1 Feb 18, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Grace_1412
Excited about Disney

Kirkland Sleep-aid. I used to use Syndol for migraines and they lost the licence to manufacture one on the main ingredients and are now dont work for me. Half of one of these with the magic missing drug and some Solpadeine max and the jobs a good un
Grace_1412 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
The main ingredient in Dramamine (Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride) is available both on prescription and over the counter in the UK.

Over the counter it is found in sleep products and some cold / flu products.

The secondary ingredient in Dramamine is a mild stimulant (much like caffeine) to offset the drowsiness of the main ingredient - you can get the same effect from a coffee or a coke.

Your GP may be unable to get it as a treatment for nausea, this is because there are many very similar but more effective drugs available. Cinnarizine, cyclizine and promethazine would be three examples - why not have a chat to them about one of those?
Thanks for the information. I get get side effects (mainly dizziness) from quite a few drugs, which is why my GP doesn’t want to prescribe certain drugs for me. Between holidays and my husband working in the US, getting Dramamine isn’t a problem for us.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Powlay View Post
Theyre the same thing.
Exactly? My daughter keeps a large tub in work for herself and other members of staff should the need arise and they all imagine they're better than Paracetamol.

One lady suffers from restless leg and swears they are the only thing that relieves it, my daughter is bringing her back a tub when we go in April.

Placebo effect? Why only every six hours? Can we now ignore this advice on the tub and take them every four?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List