Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Apr 18, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile NY/Washington/Philadelphia for students

My DD and her friend want to explore these cities at the end of their Camp America summer work experiences ... unfortunately I haven’t been and have no idea to advise on timings and costings etc but I can see accommodation can be quite pricey ... would anyone like to share some hints and tips please?

Thanks
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 05:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My kids did Boston, New York, Washington on an organised school trip. Does she want to do it independently or as part of a group ?
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
My kids did Boston, New York, Washington on an organised school trip. Does she want to do it independently or as part of a group ?
Thanks for replying Colette 😄 At the mo it’s just the 2 of them staying on for 10 days after their stint in Pennsylvania with Washington, New York and Philadelphia on the wish list. Trying to work out a budget is quite hard though ... I guess there may some student discounts available? Or travel/attraction cards which give a bit of discount? I’m clueless lol

I’ve looked at hotels which seem expensive so am keeping some Tesco vouchers back to help them get some money off and I’ve looked at trains which seem quite reasonable ... it’s the attractions I’m struggling with I think and they are on a budget. What they get paid for 8 weeks work doesn’t even cover the cost of going!

Edited at 08:26 PM.
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Most attractions in Washington DC are free - so that’s one less thing to worry about. I think hotels in Alexandria can be cheaper and the metro is not too expensive so they could ‘commute’.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
big nelly
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

big nelly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Mobile

Both DDs visited these 3 cities last year as part of a sixth form school trip. Their days were preplanned so they can't comment on costs. However please avoid the Harrington Hotel in Washington DC at all costs.
I've just asked them what they enjoyed the most and they said the following :
Central Park
Area around Macy's
Broadway show
Watching American football game
Rockafellar centre
Philadelphia food market
Building of Congress
Museums in particular National History
Hope this helps.

DLP 2005,2006 & 2018, 2009 Tuscan Hills, 2013 Vizcay, HRH & RPR, 2014 Southern Dunes, RPR & ASSports, 2016 Southern Dunes villa, AOA and PFB, 2017 OKW and RPR Club, 2019 SSR, 2019 Aventura, 2022 Dockside, 2023 POFQ
big nelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 18, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
Most attractions in Washington DC are free - so that’s one less thing to worry about. I think hotels in Alexandria can be cheaper and the metro is not too expensive so they could ‘commute’.
Thank you 😄
Old 10 Apr 18, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by big nelly View Post
Both DDs visited these 3 cities last year as part of a sixth form school trip. Their days were preplanned so they can't comment on costs. However please avoid the Harrington Hotel in Washington DC at all costs.
I've just asked them what they enjoyed the most and they said the following :
Central Park
Area around Macy's
Broadway show
Watching American football game
Rockafellar centre
Philadelphia food market
Building of Congress
Museums in particular National History
Hope this helps.
Thanks - I have shared with DD and she says there some great ideas here 😄
Old 17 Apr 18, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
alysond
Apprentice Imagineer

We loved Philadelphia and the places we`d say to definitely visit are the food market at the Reading terminal market, run up and down the Rocky steps and go to the penitentiary, we loved it there. Also all the Independence stuff is really cool. Yu MUST go to Sonny`s for a Philly cheesesteak sandwich too
In Washington we did loads and most of it free.. Arlington, the museums, the capitol building which is best to book on line for before you go.
We found reasonable places to eat wherever we went, stick to the smaller local café / pub type places and avoid the chains would be my recommendation. We had a burger in a pub half the price of the Hard Rock and far, far nicer
Both paces are easy to walk round, so you don`t need to spend money on transport too
alysond is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

For NY we stayed in Long Island City. Only 3 stops from Central Park! Can be cheaper!

We bought the city pass which was good value!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List