Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Apr 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Goosieloosie
Apprentice Imagineer

Catching a connecting flight...how does it work?

I'm trying to plan a trip to New York flying with BA, can someone please tell me when you do a connecting flight in the UK do you clear security at the first (local) airport and get rid of your suitcase? We're flying from Newcastle to Heathrow terminal 5 and onto NY. I'm trying to work out how much time we'll need to get from one flight to the next at Heathrow, do you think one hour will be enough? I've never done a connecting flight before so have no idea how it works. Could someone please tell me?
Goosieloosie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

If you are checked through on one ticket your bags will be taken from you in Newcastle and you will collect them again in NYC. You will pass security in newcastle, when you get to Heathrow you will be required to have your documents checked again before you can enter the departure areas, as for time an hour should be good but doesn't allow for much time if you have any sort of delay out of newcastle.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We travelled Manchester to Heathrow Term 5 then to LA recently and had to clear security again in Heathrow. An hour would be using it but I am sure they wouldn't offer that connection if it couldn't be done.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
stockport1965
Apprentice Imagineer

[QUOTE=marypoppins38;13195351]We travelled Manchester to Heathrow Term 5 then to LA recently and had to clear security again in Heathrow. An hour would be using it but I am sure they wouldn't offer that connection if it couldn't be done.[/QUOTE]

They do!

I would want longer than an hour. We had a connecting flight from Manchester via Heathrow to Denver.
The time allowed was 90mins. I appreciate we had to change terminals and go through security but it was not long enough.

What happens if your flight from Newcastle is delayed? Is there enough time to be at the gate before it closes?

Having been bumped off a flight for this reason, i would allow extra time
stockport1965 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Goosieloosie
Apprentice Imagineer

I've actually just booked it this evening and we've gone with 1 hour 50 mins connection once landing in Heathrow, I hope this will be long enough?
Goosieloosie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 03:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goosieloosie View Post
I've actually just booked it this evening and we've gone with 1 hour 50 mins connection once landing in Heathrow, I hope this will be long enough?
That's plenty for a T5>T5 connection at LHR. The minimum connection that BA will sell and protect for T5>T5 is 60 mins, with 1h50 you've got a fair buffer for delays. In any event, between BA and AA there are many flights a day to NYC, so even if you were unlucky enough to miss the connection, you should get rebooked fairly easily on another service.

For a T5>T5 domestic > international connection, you do not have to reclear security (you would if connecting to an onward flight from another terminal). Your bags should also be checked through from NCL to JFK/EWR.

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
We travelled Manchester to Heathrow Term 5 then to LA recently and had to clear security again in Heathrow. An hour would be using it but I am sure they wouldn't offer that connection if it couldn't be done.
Was your LHR-LAX flight from another terminal? There is no security clearance required on a same-terminal domestic-international connection at LHR unless you went landside. The airside route requires only a boarding pass check.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

its a doddle newcastle to T5

your bags go straight through, enter t5 , follow the purple connections signs (not the exit) find your gate for your connection on the screens then walk/get train to your gate

no faffing about changing terminals you remain airside in t5

an hour is fine assuming yor flight from newcastle leaves @ontime
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
That's plenty for a T5>T5 connection at LHR. The minimum connection that BA will sell and protect for T5>T5 is 60 mins, with 1h50 you've got a fair buffer for delays. In any event, between BA and AA there are many flights a day to NYC, so even if you were unlucky enough to miss the connection, you should get rebooked fairly easily on another service.

For a T5>T5 domestic > international connection, you do not have to reclear security (you would if connecting to an onward flight from another terminal). Your bags should also be checked through from NCL to JFK/EWR.

Was your LHR-LAX flight from another terminal? There is no security clearance required on a same-terminal domestic-international connection at LHR unless you went landside. The airside route requires only a boarding pass check.
You are correct, I just checked with dd. It must have been the previous year we had to clear security again. Sorry OP... I think it must be the (unaccustomed!) sunshine getting to me.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Goosieloosie
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
its a doddle newcastle to T5

your bags go straight through, enter t5 , follow the purple connections signs (not the exit) find your gate for your connection on the screens then walk/get train to your gate

no faffing about changing terminals you remain airside in t5

an hour is fine assuming yor flight from newcastle leaves @ontime
Thank you, you have explained this simply and perfectly