Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 21 Apr 18, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ginger ninja View Post
Anyone else feel the same as me when the new DDP deals come out and think, thanks goodness I have my DVC points to use as I would never pay that! Free food or not! £4000 for 4 people for 2 weeks! that's my whole holiday sometimes Love having our DVC
I think you came across as gloating 😉
Old 21 Apr 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

Its swings and roundabouts - my friends have dvc points, but once they pay for tickets, flights and the extra spends for food, plus their dues, their hol usually ends up costing pretty much the same as mine. Admittedly their deluxe and im pofq, but thats my favourite anyway. Dont forget you can get a credit in resort if you opt out of maid service too, plus the $200 gift card.
Old 21 Apr 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mobile

We’ve only been members for a few years. It’s actually our first trip next month. It’s too early for me to have made any really savings but I’m staying in resorts that I’d never have even bothered pricing up. Our 2 bed at BCV has a rack rate of $1100 per night! To me it’s not real savings it’s just you get more for your money.
Old 21 Apr 18, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
missdopey
Imagineer

Our holidays cost us less now (factoring in dues and initial buy in cost) than they did when we did free dining stays at Saratoga springs or when we stayed at the all star resorts. We’re staying at places like bay lake tower/beach club/Polynesian now, we never could have dreamt of staying at such places before becoming DVC members.

ASMo, ASMu x4, SSR x2, BLT x 4, CSR, POLY, AKL x 4, BC x 4, BWV, CC, OKW
DVC MEMBER - BLT & SSR
missdopey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

While I loved my stay at WL im not one for table service meals every day, and found the food court really limited, as in all the deluxe hotels. Im happy with mods, not just because of the price but because I prefer the actual hotel. We're all different tho and its just personal taste 😀
Old 21 Apr 18, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I’m another who would definitely not buy at today’s prices but we’ve had wonderful value from our points, most of which were bought in 1996 and so less than $70 a point. It’s been many years since I put the spreadsheets to bed and have long only considered the dues as my outlay.

I’ve also followed the free dining threads with interest and I’m usually happy for people when they get a bargain (but I can honestly say the Dining plan has no interest for us, although I can see the appeal for families in particular) and I baulk at the prices they are paying. The only thing that does niggle slightly is when people moan about not being able to book SSR and OKW before members, but I do realise that they are unlikely to know that.
Old 21 Apr 18, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

I did think about whether i'd pay for the dining plan if it wasnt given free, and initially said no as we'd never spend £38 pp per day. However taking into account the free mugs, starbucks, snacks and so on adding them up I realised I probably would, plus it stops me choosing the cheapest thing on the menu lol. Therefore if I was dvc it would hugely increase the amount of spends i'd need.
Old 21 Apr 18, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I quite like the QSDP but it would never make sense to buy it. The refillable mugs hold no appeal as we buy a case of pop for around the hotel and I can easily make coffee in the room.

I would like it for snacks in the parks and the meals but if we just bought what we wanted we’d not spend anywhere near £38/pp per day.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by traceyt View Post
I did think about whether i'd pay for the dining plan if it wasnt given free, and initially said no as we'd never spend £38 pp per day. However taking into account the free mugs, starbucks, snacks and so on adding them up I realised I probably would, plus it stops me choosing the cheapest thing on the menu lol. Therefore if I was dvc it would hugely increase the amount of spends i'd need.
Over the years we have had the dining plan a couple of times for a few days and found it challenging. Often when staying at OKW, we’ll pop over to the POR food court. Now we are big people with good appetites but, sharing a pasta meal (huge) and sharing a dessert leaves us full, so needing to use a CS credit each followed by a TS meal later made us not have what we wanted! When using the dining plan there is also a temptation to feel you should get the most expensive thing on the menu to get the most value out of it.

So happy not to have to juggle with the dining plan .
Old 21 Apr 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

Thats why im happy with the mods - 2 qs meals plus 2 snacks a day. Meansyou can eat when and where you choose without planning months in advance. We usually eat lunch in a park then the hotel in the evening.