Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 20 Sep 17, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Resorts cheaper than Disney

Although the free DDP is certainly the best Disney promo for a family staying onsite at Disneyworld it may not be for only a couple, especially if you're not big eaters.

I've found that looking at the consolidators like Trivago and Momondo can bring up decent savings, like £1,700 savings on a fortnight in July at the Beach Club (still £5,900 though!) or the French Quarter at £2,500 instead of £3,100. No Dining of course. And you need to be aware that they're not always cheaper. Same dates for Pop was an extra £20 and no free breakfast.

Whilst it is always worth starting your search at Disney and searching a couple of travel agents, the consolidators are definitely worth a click. For me they nearly halved the cost of my Disney Dolphin fortnight from $5,800 to $3,000.

TIPS.

1. Free DDP may not be the cheapest offer, think about your needs.

2. Disney typically follows up the free DDP with a 2 nights free per week. For smaller eaters or just a couple this could be better value.

3. Consolidators such as Momondo and Trivago (type in Walt Disney World as your search) will show the cheaper offerings from lots of different travel agents. They can be a lot cheaper than Disney is offering.

4. Looking for a bigger place onsite? The DVC resorts of Old Key West and Saratoga Springs have reasonably priced studios, 1 and 2-bedroom apartments. DavesDVC usually offers them cheaper than Disney by "renting" you the DVC Points. Theres also several other onsite DVC resorts which are pricier than the OKW & SSR duo. DavesDVC also offers these and may we'll be able to offer accommodation for dates Disney can't, because he uses owners unused points. Thanks to Shani for reminding me of Dave!

5. Be aware that as dates draw closer it can be difficult to find exactly what you want onsite for a week or two Holiday. This occurs because even if only one day is full on the week/fortnight you want then the resort will show up as unavailable.

6. Don't dismiss Travel Agents such as Kenwood and Charter Travel as they can sometimes access inventory not available to others. This is because Disney, in common with other hotel operators, provides TAs with a guaranteed number of rooms for travel packages.

7. Starwood Hotels has 2 properties onsite, the connected Swan and Dolphin next to Epcot. These are usually a lot cheaper than the Beach and Yacht club with whom they are connected but are owned by Disney. However beware extra fees at the Swan and Dolphin, such as resort fees and parking fees, neither of which Disney charges its hotel guests.

8. The Disney Springs area features hotels owned by Hilton, Holiday inn and Wyndham and are all walking distance to Disney Springs which and have their own half-hourly busses to the parks. And using the Disney Springs resort buses, Yacht/Beach Club for Epcot and Contemporary for Magic Kingdom can put you within a walk of the parks. These are all much cheaper than Disneys hotels, though again watch out for extra fees.

Edited at 05:04 PM. Reason: To improve and add information from the thread
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Dunc
Very Serious Dibber

Agreed. I went with Disney last time because of the DDP. This time I went with Virgin and got 2 weeks at the Dolphin for far less than 9 nights at POR through Disney. Top location for less than half the price of BCR/YC/BW. Previously had good deals through BA and Expedia, as well. I usually spend a couple of weeks shopping around, it's well worth it. To be honest (again, it's just the 2 of us), we found the DDP a bit wearing. We became slaves to the points system. This time, we're going for a supermarket trip on the first full day, sharing QS meals, and booking 3 sig. restaurants.
Dunc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Absolutely right. You need to do your research on which way it'll work out cheaper for your own group make-up.

Also, if you're considering a deluxe where they have DVC, you should look into the cost of renting DVC points. An easy place to cost this up is at Dave's DVC.

Our 2 weeks at the Beach Club next year is costing us £4500 direct from Disney with DDP. The same dates through Dave's DVC is coming up at $3638, or roughly £2700. That's £1800 cheaper.

For only 2 or 3 people, renting the DVC points is absolutely going to be the most cost effective way of staying onsite. However, for us, as a family of 5, who want to do Disney TS meals and with teenagers that can eat us out of house and home, and we won't be hiring a car so eating at cheaper offsite places won't be happening, the free DDP makes much more sense. If not to save money (I'd imagine the total cost to work out about the same) then it's more for pre-paid peace of mind, especially with a volatile exchange rate.

Of course, with all of this said above, I will still be searching and checking prices, right up until the stage I can cancel/change my booking with WDTC, as we don't go until the end of October next year. If I happen to find the Beach Club much cheaper elsewhere, then I could amend my current Disney booking to perhaps tickets only (if they do the 25% off) and book accommodation wherever it's cheaper.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside

Edited at 12:05 PM.
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Yes, that's my point Shani & Dunc

As we are now in the last few weeks of the free Dining promo it's too easy to quickly decide that free dining is IT and quickly book a very expensive holiday without looking further. DavesDVC is another good place to look too.
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

The only risk with waiting to see if a cheaper deal comes along is when you know you want to definitely stay at a certain resort, in a certain category room and are inflexible on dates. For example, June-August gets booked up quickly as it's the US school holidays, and likewise for Epcot resorts when food and wine festival is on. Availability can be limited, especially if you're looking for a 14 night stay, so it's always best to keep this in mind, and either plan on a back-up option, or if you know you 100% want to go, book the free dining offer but for only 1 person, so you only risk 1x £50 deposit.
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Watts5988
Dancing with Tink'

Originally Posted by Shani View Post
book the free dining offer but for only 1 person, so you only risk 1x £50 deposit.
Can further people be added to the booking later and still get the free dining?
Watts5988 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dancingbear
Excited about Disney

Eek. I've just done this. After checking our dates a million times on the Disney site suddenly a 5 person preferred room at CBR was available when it hadn't been every other time I looked (next nearest was fort wilderness at almost £2k more) - so I have leapt in and booked for 1 adult - so only a £50 deposit. Blimey - exciting!
dancingbear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Watts5988 View Post
Can further people be added to the booking later and still get the free dining?
Yes, if they are staying on the same booking, in the same room, they get whatever offer was on when originally booked.

The only hurdle in booking this way would be if you originally booked a 2 bedroom suite, for example, and then later on wanted to switch to 2 x studio rooms. Only one of the rooms would be eligible for free dining.
Old 20 Sep 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Malinki
Being a bit Goofy

Depending on the size of your party then the 7 nights for the price of 5 can work out cheaper than the free DDP. Our sums for this trip made it cheaper to book with 7 for the price of 5 and pay for the DDP on top than to book with the free DDP.
Slinky Malinki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List