Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What are you wearing to the Airport - DAY 4 Miami

Miami DAY 4 – Tuesday 7th September 2010

Weather 85 Degrees with afternoon showers

New Stories – Last night’s torrential rain and sadly a Canadian tourist was involved in a hit and run accident he was left seriously injured, this news made me pay more attention when crossing the roads here.

We are awake at 5.45 am, Michael starts to make coffee, not easy because the machine, like everything in the room is quite high tech so to get something approaching half a cup each requires several button presses each with a 30 second waiting time before a light flashes signalling that you can continue. Rather him than me, and it keeps him busy on a morning whilst I watch the news.

Having gone to bed with my hair damp last night, this morning I look like me head exploded, I quickly straighten my hair whilst drinking a strong coffee, which I’m sure is making my hair curly all over again!

Breakfast at Jerry’s again I had a fruit cup and poached eggs Michael had the omelette again, it’s a lot quieter in there today, everyone back to work I suppose and it is very early still.

After breakfast we walk along the boardwalk along South Beach and then paddle our way back in the warm ocean, by this time it’s only 8.30am and baking hot! We pick up a few supplies from Walgreens and then head over to the liquor store to replace a miniature bottle of vodka we took from the mini bar last night. The funny thing was neither one of us drank it and this morning when it was at the side of the bed I thought it was water and used it with my eyeliner! (It’s a Laura Mercier one, solid until you wet your eyeliner brush and dab it in)

Anyway the liquor store opens at 9am and although it’s almost 9 we both felt odd hanging around there like a couple of alcoholics waiting for their morning snifter! So we decided to leave and just pay the mini bar price whilst also maintaining our dignity LOL!

We headed back to the room, out of the burning sun, Michael decided to have a nap, awe bless, a busy couple of days catching up with him!

I called Laura and told her we were going swimming in the ocean later, she panicked, ‘Mum, take off all your jewellery, sharks like shiny things!’ After reassuring her I would and catching up on the news back home we said our goodbyes.

Next, to the beach, the hotel use a company called Boucher Brothers, they provide towels water, seat beds and cushions etc all very nice. We read and swam, the sun was shining high in the sky and a gentle breeze helped keep sun bearable, along with a parasol and factor 70 – I kid you not, I don’t really tan and burn easily so factor 70 on my face and 50 on my body. I hope to be down to 30 by the time we go home.

After more swimming, reading and a power nap we went back to the room to shower. I love the fact that we both fit in and can shower at the same time.

Michael went and bought us a slice of pizza each whilst I got ready; I wonder how many WW points a slice is?

Lincoln Road pedestrian shopping area was our plan this afternoon. Carl Fisher, the wealthy original developer of Miami Beach, envisioned Lincoln Road to be the Miami Beach counterpart to Fifth Avenue in New York, or Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles. Today, Lincoln Road is a pedestrian mall between Alton Road and Washington Avenue. It’s got really odd pieces of concrete and water features running down the middle, which I thought were hideous. There is a mis-matched hotch potch of shops and nothing about the place made me want to stay and shop. It was meltingly hot and we ran between stores looking for shade and AC. There are lots of restaurants and cafés most restaurants offer either indoor or outdoor seating, including in the middle of the pedestrian mall area, but it was way too hot to contemplate sitting out.

Lincoln Road Concrete Type Thingy Ma Jig

We decided to grab a cab to Smith and Wollensky at South Point, this was an off the cuff decision based on something Michael had read about somewhere and some point! The restaurant appeared to be the only thing there apart from offices, but it was near the ocean and a lot cooler by the water. We sat outside at the bar and shared a couple of bar snacks Tuna Tatare and Oysters, they were fab! The sky clouded over and we had a short sharp shower, it cooled the day down enough to make it feel warm and pleasant.

We decided to walk back along Ocean Drive, we could see that we had about 20 mins before the next shower was going to hit and we made it to a hotel called the Clevelander, it’s a bit of an outside bar covered with canopy’s, it had a ‘Woo Hoo Spring Break’ kind of feel. We had two small cocktails in a plastic cup and paid $24! We felt a little ripped off.

The shower passed and the sun shone once again, we carried on up to The Carlyle, the huge cocktails caught our eye and before we knew is we were drinking Mojitos from a giant margarita glass.
Feeling peckish and looking to share an appetiser the waiter suggested the fresh seafood platter, we took him up on this offer and when the platter arrived we couldn’t believe the size of it, it was wonderful until the bill arrived, it was a whopping $100 ripped off yet again! It was tasty with ceviche, tuna tartar, Oysters and snow crab, however it wasn’t $100 worth $50 would have been a fairer price. The cocktails were buy $11 one get one free so we took our ‘free’ one to go and walked unsteadily back to the hotel.

We went to the roof top terrace to lay down, when a nice man appeared and once again changed the towels and ran the tub for us. We spent the next few hours sipping champagne reading dipping in the tub and napping. We also made a friend a little pigeon decided to join us and appeared every time we were up there.

Michael brought back yet another Pizza, we have to have a healthier day tomorrow! I watched a bit of TV and fell asleep at 8pm. I woke at midnight feeling awful, headache, indigestion, served me right I suppose all that food and cocktails! I took a pill drank some water and went back to sleep
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 10, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another fab day for the two of you - shame about the price of the seafood platter ! It does look amazing though.
Hope you felt better when you woke the next morning.
Really enjoying your trip report
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 10, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Glad you had lots of fun today. Looking forward to reading more about your holiday.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 10, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald88
Imagineer

WOW check the size of those cocktails! Hehe lovely day.
macdonald88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 10, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Just read the first four days. The rain and storms sound amazing and sounds like you are having a fab time.

cocktails look huge and $100 for a seafood platter

looking forward to reading the next report
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 10, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post

A lovely but expensive food day - looks yummy though.
Old 17 Oct 10, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
great day, love the size of the drinks shame about the expensive food
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 10, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great report with lovely photos.
Old 17 Oct 10, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

The prices are hair raising!

Great day though - shame about the effect of the food on you (I always suffer too, a few days in - it's a shock going from v healthy to errrm ... less healthy )
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 10, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
another great day

lovely pics