Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Disney & Beyond July 2011 Day 9 - Sea World & Hooters

Disney & Beyond July 2011 Day 9 - Sea World & Hooters

3 July 2011

CAST

Me - Lynn 46 - holiday organiser. Looking forward to everything especially time together;
DH - Philip 48 - leaves it all to me. Looking forward to spending time at the Gulf coast;
DS - Luke 12 - loves everything about Florida. Looking forward most to Sea World;
DD - Rachel 11 - takes forever to get moving. Looking forward most to getting there and being warm.

Day 8

Today was Luke’s 13th Birthday - the day my sweet baby boy turned into a teenager. As it was his birthday he was in charge of getting us out the house quickly today. He had chosen to spend the day at his favourite park - Sea World.

We were up around 7.30 and Luke opened his cards that he had brought from home. He had been given mostly money so that he could spend it whilst on holiday. Knowing Luke, we’ll be converting it into £s for him and he’ll be taking it back home. After a quick breakfast of cereal, we were out of the house and in the car by 8.20. We arrived at Sea World around 8.45. Being this early meant that we got a great parking spot. We were in the queue to exchange our vouchers for tickets by 8.50.

The park officially opened with the National Anthem and then vouchers exchanged we were into the park by 9.15am. Last year Philip had ridden Manta and this year, both kids said they had wanted to ride. That soon changed when we got in the park. I expected it from Rachel but not from Luke as he has, so far, ridden every headline ride. He said that he just didn’t fancy Manta as he’s apprehensive of rides where your feet dangle. Philip then decided he wouldn’t ride either as it was Luke’s birthday.

So we headed straight to Dolphin Cove. Luke, Rachel and I wanted to feed the dolphins, Philip opted out and said he would video us from the other side of Dolphin Cove. We paid $21 for 3 trays of food. Everyone entering the feeding area now has to pay, which really is a bit of a rip off but I guess it’s a good way for Sea World to increase their profits

We were behind a family of four, the woman was pushing a stroller and had practically run to get in front of us in the queue. At this time in the morning there were only about 20 people in line ahead of us so running was a bit extreme. Whilst we queued she spent the time emptying her bag three of four times; taking her hat on and off; and putting her hair into and out of a ponytail. When the area opened and we got to the pay window, she looked totally bemused that she had to pay for the privilege of feeding the dolphins. I can only assume she hadn’t heard the various announcements from the CM’s telling us that everyone entering the area had to pay. I wasn’t annoyed at all by her lack of listening skills, nor was I annoyed by the fact that she held the queue up for a good few minutes whilst she searched for her purse in the bag that she had emptied several times. Ggggggrrrrrr …. I of course, being perfect, had my $21 in my sweaty hand and was through into the feeding area in seconds.

The dolphin feeding is now very very regimented. The trainers read you the rules such as not dangling your camera over the edge and keeping the tray of fish on the wall and then they tell you when you can go over to the wall to feed the dolphins. Once at the pool your tray of fish is put on the wall in front you. We lucked out here as we had 4 trays put in front of the 3 of us. Despite the regimented nature of this experience and the fact that it’s ridiculous that you can only enter if you pay all 3 of us had a great time feeding the dolphins.

We met up with Philip again and decided to see the Blue Horizons show. I’m not that keen on this show. I think the story line is quite confusing but the cast put their hearts into it and the gymnasts are amazing. We had fab seats and I was able to get some good video footage and a couple of ok pictures. The guy in the picture holding the flag has been in this show every single time we’ve seen it, which is spooky

After Blue Horizons we went straight to Shamu Stadium for One Ocean. This would be our first time seeing the Shamu Show without the trainers being in the water. I have mixed views on keeping the orcas in captivity and mixed views on seeing the animals perform. BUT since the very first time Luke saw “Shamu” he has been fascinated. When he was 7 or 8 he firmly believed his Uncle could built a Shamu pool in our back garden and he could have an Orca as a pet. Sadly we are very bad parents and refused to let the pool be built so Luke has had to put up with visiting Shamu at Sea World.

We arrived at the stadium around 40 minutes before the show was due to start. I waited in line while Philip and the kids to get us some soda, popcorn and chips. They were still away when the ropes were dropped and we were allowed into the park. I went on in knowing that they would find me. I managed to get great seats just off centre at the back of the Splash zone. It seemed that I was sitting alone for ages and the park was filling quickly despite it being 20 minutes before the show was due to start. I was getting worried that Philip and the kids had deserted me when they turned up.

The One Ocean show is good, but I feel that it does suffer from the trainers being in the water.

Here are a few Pics

After One Ocean had finished we wandered over to see Clyde and Seymour take Pirate Island. The Mime Artist was, as usual, superb. I love it when he takes the mickey out of people and they have no idea. I always make sure we are seated before he starts though as I don’t want to be the one being mocked

By the time Clyde and Seymour had finished it was around 2pm. The park was absolutely heaving. That was part of the problem with being there the day before Independence Day I guess. We decided that we’d had enough and would head for home. Rachel asked to get her hair braided. As she would be paying I said that would be fine, until I heard the price. It started at $50 for 3 plaits, you then had to add extra $$$$$$ for beads and extra $$$$$$ for additional plaits. I quickly told her she’d be better spending her money at the outlets tomorrow. Thankfully she agreed!

Once out the park and in the car, we tried to find the exit. That wasn’t easy. There were so many cars coming into the park that the CM’s assumed we were new arrivals and directed us to the overflow car park. Eventually I had to roll down my window and ask how to escape. A couple of wrong turnings later we were out and fairly quickly back on the I4 heading to the villa.

The traffic on the I4 was horrendous. We were stuck in a queue for around an hour. Cars were taking the exit towards Celebration and then coming back on to the I4. Some drivers were even driving up the grass verges heading along the exit road for about half mile then coming back down the grass verge and merging onto the I4. It was total chaos.

Eventually just before we got to our exit, we saw the problem. A removals truck had caught fire. It was on the hard shoulder and no longer alight but we could still see the smoke coming from it. I felt sorry for the people expecting a delivery as we could clearly see the contents were totally ruined.

Back at the villa Philip and the kids played in the pool for a while. I had a nap - I really have been incredibly sleepy this trip which is most unlike me.

For dinner we were heading to Hooters. This was something I had planned as a surprise for Luke. When I had told him about it that morning he was really worried that it wouldn’t be suitable for kids. He and Rachel seemed nervous about going, which Philip and I found quite amusing. We reassured them but also offered Luke the chance to choose somewhere else to eat. He decided to stick to Hooters. He warned me however that he didn’t want a fuss made and told me that I hadn’t to tell anyone it was his Birthday.

We arrived at Hooters around 5, and were told to sit anywhere. That wasn’t what I expected, so much so that it threw all 4 of us wondering where to sit. It’s funny how you become used to the hostess taking you to the seat.

Our server was lovely and very friendly. My notes don’t tell me what we had to eat but I’m fairly sure we all had some sort of burger. The food was ok but it wasn’t great. The bill came to $65 including tip. Luke and Philip had their photo taken with our server, but I stuck to my word and didn’t tell her it was his birthday.

Once outside he told me that he’d enjoyed Hooters and said that he’d liked having the pic taken with the server. Whew!

We were slightly delayed again on the I4 on the way back to the villa but the traffic was much less chaotic. Once home we cut Luke’s birthday cake and settled down to our usual few episodes of Medium.

Tomorrow shopping…..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070068.jpg
Views:	2029
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	35355   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070070.jpg
Views:	2017
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	35356   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070072.jpg
Views:	2028
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	35357   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070084.jpg
Views:	2025
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	35358   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070093.jpg
Views:	2032
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	35359  

Name:	P1070096.jpg
Views:	2021
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	35360   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070106.jpg
Views:	2007
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	35361   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070110.jpg
Views:	2018
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	35362   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070117.jpg
Views:	1986
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	35363   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070127.jpg
Views:	2030
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	35364  

Name:	P1070131.jpg
Views:	2012
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	35365   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070153.jpg
Views:	2021
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	35366   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070151.jpg
Views:	2031
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	35367   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070152.jpg
Views:	2012
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	35368   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070170.jpg
Views:	2013
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	35369  

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 11, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great day and belated birthday luke
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 11, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
MFras23
Imagineer

MFras23's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 20
Guidebook Reviews: 15
The dolphin feed seems a bit too strict now, I didn't like the fact that you were pushed out of the way by other people as everyone crammed together. But to make everyone pay who goes into the feeding area; seems a little too much. Or is it just me?!
Old 28 Aug 11, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Lovely day, Luke "looks" so smart and happy on his birthday ,
Dont appreciate that routine at seaworld now, was going to go feed the fish again but dont think I will bother this time even though its a lovely experience,
Yummy cake
Old 28 Aug 11, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Fab day - lovely piccies of Luke with the Hooter girl
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 11, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
pudge
Imagineer

pudge's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Great day and great way to spend a birthday...Happy Belated Birthday Luke... nice big smile on his face at Hooters
[/B][COLOR="Magenta"]2006 Crescent Lakes/New Port Richey, 2008 Highlands Reserve, 2010 Cumbrian Lakes (freebie) & Rolling Hills, 2012 Highlands Reserve, 2014 Bridgewater Crossing, 2015 Rolling Hills/HRH, 2016 Dibb villa Highlands Reserve/HRH & Vegas, 2017 Rolling Hills, Xmas 2018 Rolling Hills & RPR, 2019 Highlands Reserve, 2020 Highlands Reserve canx 2021 Emerald isle fingers crossed
pudge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 11, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ThumperThistle
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like great birthday
97,98: ASMu. 99,00,02: ASMo. 03: CB.04: POR,WL,POFQ.05: French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Dolphin. 06: Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk. 07: Royal Pacific, Swan. 08: Pop Century, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge. 09: Pop Century, Royal Pacific, Riverside, Beach Club.10: Coronado Springs,Contemporary,Hard Rock,Beach Club. 11: Coronado Springs,Hard Rock,Bay Lake,Yacht Club. 12: Old Key West. 13:OKW 14: OKW. 15: OKW. 16: Boardwalk. 17: POFQ 18:BC. 19: POFQ
ThumperThistle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 11, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Nice day and glad Luke enjoyed Hooters.
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 11, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

How tiny is the Hooters girl in her Wonderbra!

Yummy cake!

Enjoying your trippy
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 11, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Great read!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List