Old 15 Aug 08, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
California dreaming, screaming and still beaming :) Day 12

04/08/08

We got up earlyish and headed for the Metro station infront of the shopping mall and Kodak Theatre. I would have liked a tour of the theatre as it's where the Oscars are held but we didn't have time. It was just 1 stop to Universal Studios and cost $1.25 each way. Across the road from the station there is a pick up point to catch the shuttle bus up the hill to the studios - just as well!

The park is quite small really and filled up in the afternoon. We'd planned which rides to get on first - Back lot tour then the new Simpson's ride and the waiting time wasn't too bad. The front of line passes online were the same price as the admission so would have cost double - but when we got to the parks they were going for half that price ontop of admission - but we didn't need them.

We needed these misters!

The Backlot tour was good and we saw someone from CSI apparently (according to DH! ) and we had to be quiet when we passed Wisteria Lane as they were filming. Here are a few pics - some familiar!

Great theming witrh the Simpsons Ride:

Anyone recognise this? I thought it was all filmed in London... but no!

It's the shop front in Notting Hill.

We went on all the other rides and attractions. The Mummy had no fire and only seemed half as long as Orlando one. The park is on 2 levels and they are reached by a series of steep escalators - all I could think of was what happened if there was another tremour!

Anyway - I'm glad we went - but I don't think I would bother going back knowing what the Orlando parks have to offer (especially with a stay onsite).

Having said that - we enjoyed Waterworld and I thought Citywalk was much better here too.

More to follow

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 08, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
Here's Citywalk:

The Saddle Ranch Chop House had been recommended to us and it was in between Citywalk and the Studios.

We got a table - but there was more salad on the floor than on my plate! Still we stuck it out and waited for the food. We were't disappointed!

DH had a huge steak!

and we had entertainment!

The place looked the part:

Then we caught the shuttle bus to the Metro and went back to the hotel. Did not feel intimidated at all as there were lots of families around. Also as soon as you get out of the Metro you just go into the shopping centre and cut through to the hotel.

Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 08, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post

I have to agree with you about US. If you've never visited the one in Orlando then its great. Personally I much prefer the USF.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 08, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like a good day. We last went to USH in 98 and are going back this Christmas, but other than Back to the Future now being the Simpsons I don't think anything has changed.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 08, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I loved the backlot tour at USH, but other than that, I much prefer USF.
Old 19 Aug 08, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We're mostly doing US for the tour, i've heard the entry is worth that alone Citywalk looks busy busy busy!
LizzyBear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 08, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellestar
Imagineer

City Walk looks great, wish the had War of the world ride etc...
F/drives 1989-2000,G/Vista 2000-02 M/Vge 02 G/Vista 02,W/Palms 03-04-05,C/bay 05,W/Hills 05-06 All Virgin,C/bay & H/Rock Htl Univ TCD S/First Sept 06,April 07 Virgin,Sept 07 FChoice-VCay Res & P/Bay,April-May Thom/Prem 08 V/Cay,Sept 08 V/Cay,Feb 09 US Air Villa,Sept 09 Villa/Univ Port/Bay & Virgin F/Class Orl,May Univ Port/Ba,Sept 10 Villa,Feb 12/SSR May 13, SSR JUN 14, May 19 Cabana Bay & OKW Resort, May 20 HRH & Endless .
Bellestar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 08, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post

US looks fun, id love to visit it just to see the differences.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 08, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
US does look good but not sure it would be worth visiting just for Simpsons ride and the backlot tour, especially since we'll be riding the US Orlando Simpsons ride when we return. Didn't realise there was a City Walk though, the hotel would be in a great location for visiting. How did you find the parking at the hotel? We will be having a large suv vehicle like yourselves.

April 1999 - Rodeway Inn Sept 2002 - Chatham Park Villa Sept 2004 - Quality Inn Plaza Nov 2005 - Crowne Plaza Universal Nov 2006 - I Drive Inn Sept 2007 - Homewood Suites Jan 2007 - DLP & Paris
Oct 2009 - Road Trip (Groveland, Yosemite, Vegas, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Kingman, Palm Springs, Buena Park, Valencia, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco)

tracyh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 08, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
Originally Posted by tracyh View Post
US does look good but not sure it would be worth visiting just for Simpsons ride and the backlot tour, especially since we'll be riding the US Orlando Simpsons ride when we return. Didn't realise there was a City Walk though, the hotel would be in a great location for visiting. How did you find the parking at the hotel? We will be having a large suv vehicle like yourselves.
I think there's a pic of the parking lot underneath the hotel on Day 11 trippie. The spaces had filmstars names on them! We parked in Gwyneth Paltrow and Morgan Freeman! There are electronic doors to the parking area and it's also accessible via the lift in the hotel. Seemed secure. There was one place where the roof looked too low - but it was ok.