Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 29 May 15, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Rome & Pompeii 2015 - Mini report

We have recently returned from an excellent and very enjoyable four night trip to Rome. This was a first for us, we are trying to explore some more of Europe and this was hopefully the first of many city breaks to see some more places closer to home. There have been a few posts on recently about Rome so I though I would share some hints and tips for anyone else due to travel there and if anyone needs any more info just message me, I'm happy to help if I can.

Our hotel was excellent, Argentina Residenza in the centre. Perfect location and walking distance to all the main sights of Rome. The staff were great, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. It was a small boutique hotel with modern well equipped rooms, lots of added extras. Delicious free breakfast and a complementary evening wine and canapé event which we also made use of more than once. Cookies and coffee on tap with amazing expresso. We used their prebookable transfer from the airport for 50euros for us all, they were waiting or us as we landed and were ready when we needed to head back. A spacious and comfortable car and only 2euros more than the taxis on the ranks outside so a bargain.

Before we left we had prebooked trips with two companies, Walks of Italy and City Wonders (just for Pompeii) All guides were very knowledgeable, spoke great English and really knew their stuff. This saved us lots of time in queues, especially in Rome and added a lot to our trip. We never used the subway or hop on hop off buses, we found it easy to walk around and we felt we saw much more by expolring off the small side streets and piazzas that we wouldn't have seen on a bus.

We saw so much and Rome is a beautiful city. A relaxed and enjoyable place to stroll around, take long leisurely meals and just chill back and unwind as well as seeing all the main sights and attractions. Eating out was excellent and good value for money if you stayed away from the main piazzas and attractions. We were eating great food with wine and coffees starting about £15 ahead for four courses. Heading into places like Trastevere and the streets behind Piazza Navona, Campo del Fiori and the Pantheon gave lots of options. Maybe ate a bit too much gelato but that stuff is delicious. There was no rush for tables and you could enjoy the atmosphere and just relax.

From the sights we enjoyed so much. The Spanish Steps to people watch and chill out. The Pantheon was stunning and breath-taking. The Colloseum was busy and we benefitted from the prebooked tour where we skipped the lines and were shown the off limit places of the underground, arena floor and third tier. This was away from the main crowds and a much more relaxed visit. The Forum and Palatine Hill impressive and again we learnt a lot from the booked tour. It was also good just to wander round the ancient part on our own as there are so many other sights and remains to be seen around every corner. The Vatican was busy and we certainly benefitted from going with an organised group. There were hundreds waiting outside and it was like having a Disney fastpass skipping the queue. We did one trip out of the city - Vesuvius and Pompeii. A loonnnnggg day but a worthwhile and amazing trip. Climbing up Vesuvius and then exploring the ruins of Pompeii were highlight for our son Sam. Just wished we had longer in Pompeii but a reason to return for sure. The Trevi fountain was still under renovation and we stopped by but no coins allowed as the water was still drained.

Any bad things? No none really, advised to watch for pickpockets, especially in the popular crowded places but we never experienced any problems. The locals were very very friendly and we felt perfectly safe wandering around during the day and on a night. There were a fair few street hawkers selling fake bags, scarfs, Rolexes and selfie sticks but these were more of an amusement than a nuisance and they never harassed or bothered us. A few homeless but again never a problem and we gave them our loose change.

Rome was our first taste of Italy and has definitely given us a desire to head back, would love to visit Florence and Venice next. Its very compact and easy to explore, lots to see and do, we only did the main sights and know there was a lot more we could of done. Just a short round up but let me know if you have any specific questions. If you're heading to Rome I'm sure you will love it.

Cheers

Neil

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 15, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Sounds lovely, my parents are planning a rome trip later this year so will get them to read your report
Old 31 May 15, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Hi your report sounds fab, we're off to Rome in Aug.
I have been previously without our children 10 & 8 but this year going back with them. We are spending 3 days in Rome, 3 in Naples and 2 in Pisa.
Just wondering if you drove anywhere as we're weighing up the options of either taking the train between destinations or driving.
We are wanting to visit a beach when in Naples so thinking car may be better?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 15, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
dnnlkn
Excited about Disney

Thanks we are heading to rome on the 18th june (4days) we will be looking for ideas for our evening meals if you have any you really enjoyed your report was very informative thanks again.
kenny & moira
homewood suites 2005
pop century 2007(natasha's first visit aged 2)
animal kingdom lodge 2009(josh's first visit aged 3 months)
port orleans riverside 2011
all star music xmas 2012
villa (lucas's first visit age 15 months) 2013
saratoga springs/cabana bay beach club 2015
dnnlkn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 15, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by letty View Post
Sounds lovely, my parents are planning a rome trip later this year so will get them to read your report
They'll have a great time, just let me know if they have any questions.
Originally Posted by sgks11 View Post
I have been previously without our children 10 & 8 but this year going back with them. We are spending 3 days in Rome, 3 in Naples and 2 in Pisa.
Just wondering if you drove anywhere as we're weighing up the options of either taking the train between destinations or driving.
I've driven in Europe before but wouldn't like to around Rome. We took a taxi from the airport and it was very busy, fast and manic. The centre was busy on the roads and although a confident driver I didn't like the look of it. Once you were out of the city it was much more relaxed and seemed fine but the main towns were very busy. Don't know how the trains would be but may save you some hassle. We didn't drive in Naples but the traffic on the outskirts was again very busy and there was a lot of it. Think there is a good train link between Rome and Naples but not sure on Pisa.

Originally Posted by dnnlkn View Post
Thanks we are heading to rome on the 18th june (4days) we will be looking for ideas for our evening meals if you have any you really enjoyed your report was very informative thanks again.
kenny & moira
We had some really good and reasonable meals out. Places we tried near the Pantheon were Taverna del Seminario & Hostaria de pastini, both very good and reasonable prices. Near Piazza Navona we ate at a place called Serafina alla pace, the zabaglione was amazing and in Trastevere we ate at a place called Carlo Mentas which was also very reasonable and good food. Tried to find a place called Dar Poeta which gets great reviews but couldn't find it but I've heard it does some of the best pizza around. If you need anymore info just let me know, it really is a great place.

Neil

Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 15, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Wills
Imagineer

Thank you for sharing this, very helpful. We are going to Rome for our first visit in just over 5 weeks time 😀
Old 2 Jun 15, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sgks11 View Post
We went to Naples and were advised against hiring a car, which was well founded, the driving is terrible and we would have been terrified! We got a minibus for four of us, two couples to Pompeii. We loved the whole Naples experience, but don't drive please!
Old 2 Jun 15, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
great report! we are there from the 15th - 19th June and I can't wait! lots of helpful tips to thank you

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 15, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 114
I'm so glad I came across this post as I'm looking to book that same hotel for my trip in October I suppose in terms of homeless and pickpockets, it is no different to London. You have to keep an eye out wherever you go really. I think I am going to pre-book all the tours before hand too, to make sure I definitely get to do everything. I've never thought about visiting pompeii though. Was it quite far out? Did you go on a coach? Did the tour of the Vatican include transport? From that hotel it looks to be a 25 minute drive so just wondering whether to go on a tour or not. What about the Colosseum, did you get public transport there?

Thank you for the tip about the airport transfers too. Which airport did you fly into?

WDW - 96, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 17
DLP - 98, 01, 02, 10 DLR - 11, 12, 14, 18 15
Las Vegas - 11, 12, 13x2, 14, 18x2
WDW Cast Member 17 - 18 14 U.S. States & Counting!
sweetemotion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 15, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sweetemotion View Post
I'm so glad I came across this post as I'm looking to book that same hotel for my trip in October I suppose in terms of homeless and pickpockets, it is no different to London. You have to keep an eye out wherever you go really. I think I am going to pre-book all the tours before hand too, to make sure I definitely get to do everything. I've never thought about visiting pompeii though. Was it quite far out? Did you go on a coach? Did the tour of the Vatican include transport? From that hotel it looks to be a 25 minute drive so just wondering whether to go on a tour or not. What about the Colosseum, did you get public transport there?

Thank you for the tip about the airport transfers too. Which airport did you fly into?
Hi there - we flew into Fiumicino airport, the hotel were great and the driver waiting for us, if you email them they will book it for you and you just pay the driver, really easy and no hassle. Can't recommend this hotel enough, really great and staff excellent. So easy to get round, we walked and everything relatively close.

Colosseum about 20 minutes but past lots of historical sights and ruins so worth it. Vatican about the same, we never bothered with public transport. Nice city to wander around and felt perfectly safe. Lots of nice side streets, piazzas and cafes that we would of missed on the bus. Booking ahead saved us lots of time queuing but cost us a little more, the guides added a lot of value to the trips so we felt good value for money but the time saving was a massive bonus. The trips we booked were without transport (apart from Pompeii) we were giving a meeting point but made our own way there, easy enough to find and saw a bit of the city getting to them, no bother at all really.

Pompeii we did on an organised trip, it was by coach and a long day. Enjoyed it but would of liked a bit longer in Pompeii as it was fascinating. Our son loved that day. Recommend Trastevere for food or have a wander off the main piazzas, you'll pay for the view. If you need anymore help let me know, we loved it, really want to go back.

Neil

Edited at 11:10 PM.