Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Mar 18, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

The Magic 3 do DLP - Day 4

Day 4 - Saturday 17th February 2018

Well you'll never guess...yep, we were up for EMH again no such thing as a lie in on a Disney holiday!
It was off to Studios again, as it was Mark's turn to leg it to Crush while Heath and I would be returning for yet more Ratatouille.

This time, we spotted our friends in the queue when we arrived so we joined them for a good chat and catch up on how our holidays were going. They were there with their 6 and 1 year old boys so were taking it a bit easier with the little one.

Once the gate opened, we said our goodbyes and all rushed off to our respective rides. Heath decided he wanted to join in with all the other nutters running, so I had to chase him down to Ratatouille! It wasn't quite open yet so we waited for a few minutes. During that time, Mark sent me a photo of the queue for Crush behind him, the time was 8.31

He didn't really enjoy Crush but had just eaten a flapjack and then run for the ride so the spinning on it really didn't make him feel too good! He was also in the back of the shell, maybe that has an impact too?
Heath and I had enjoyed our turn on Ratatouille and went straight back on with Mark when he joined us.

We had a go on Slinky after this and then decided to head to the main park.

It was Saturday and the queue was huge to get in. The one for hotel guests was much smaller but still a bit of a wait. Some jokers started to try and cut in right at the front - little did they know, they were trying to push in front of Little Miss Gobby I told them to join the queue which is when the woman started to claim she was a VIP hotel guest so could push in...I told her we were all hotel guests so get to the back, she asked "at the Disneyland Hotel? We are VIP!" I lied and said we were too. I then pointed out the queue for non-hotel guests and explained it really could be worse. At this point her husband 'oof'-ed and said "ok, we'll go behind you" I didn't pay any more attention so I don't know if they did actually push in behind us, I suspect they did!

Does anyone know what the actual process is for VIP people? I can't believe they're told to just push to the front! Anyway, we were in and no one had pushed in front of us so I was happy

We went straight to IASW (Heath's third favourite ride, Ratatouille took the top spot, followed by Peter Pan).

That happy little face

The fast pass machine was still not in action at Peter Pan (I don't think it was working once during our visit) so we headed off to finally face Heath's nemesis...Big Thunder Mountain. He really doesn't like roller coasters but he's done rides like this (the scorpion mine train at Chessington) before so I knew he'd be fine on it, so we joined the 30 minute queue.
A woman in front of us was on her phone for ages in the queue, trying to direct her friend to find her - cue such gems as "I'm in front of an exit thing" Amazingly her friend did find her and then had to climb over the barriers to get to her...we were quite far in by this point and several people looked outraged by this! I didn't mind as I knew they wouldn't be taking up more ride carriages so wouldn't actually add to the wait time.

The queue is well themed and it didn't feel like a long wait. The ride itself - wow! I absolutely loved it. My favourite part was in the dynamite cave. Heath was fine, not crying but also not particularly keen to go on again!
Oh dear, his little face in the ride photo

We decided to do some more character meets now. The only one Mark wanted to meet was Baloo so we headed off to find him. This was so much fun! Heath and Baloo ended up having a dance together, Baloo stole our bag, lots of hugs etc...it was just lovely.

I told Baloo he was Mark's favourite so he got an extra big cuddle

Then onto Adventurland to meet the Genie. We were warned it might change to Aladdin and Jasmine while we were queuing so I was a bit worried as Heath had no interest in them but we stuck it out and luckily the lovely CM let us be the last ones to meet the Genie. Mark had to run off and buy a new autograph book while we waited as the first one was full.

The Genie was another fab meet - he wouldn't give the pen back to Heath for ages, hiding it from him and he tickled him lots.

Now it was time for Captain Hook and Smee. This felt like a longer wait. They had a break while we were there and there were also a few people with additional needs who get a time slot to come back and go to the front of the line. Again, it was worth the wait.

Heath was now getting used to be man-handled by the characters so was getting a bit more into it...he loves to wrestle my dad and brother at home and I had to yell "gently" during this interaction when I saw him elbow Smee I think the characters thought I was shouting at them because they immediately calmed down and started signing and hugging!
I got told off by Hook for not having a pin of him

This meet was round the back of the Pinocchio restaurant so we decided to head in there afterwards for some lunch (its proper name is Chalet Marionnettes).

People were very kind at moving out of the way when they noticed I was trying to take photos of all the lovely decor, that happened everywhere in the parks actually. I was always a bit embarrassed but appreciated it!
Mark and I went for the 25th anniversary burger meal - it was as you'd imagine but tasty enough. Heath had the kids sausage meal.
Yum, photo of a greasy burger!

Cost us about €40. Again we got lucky with our timings and managed to get in before a big rush. Just trying to go to the loo afterwards took ages! It really was much busier today. Got chatting with some nice women who were very jealous when they found out I was there with only one child

Next I made my one and only mistake of the holiday...I decided we would queue and wait for Alice and the Mad Hatter despite being told they were going for a 15 minute break it was cold and Heath and Mark were totally over it. I'd reached that point of "I'm not wasting the 20 minutes I've already queued so will stay here for as long as it takes!" Oh dear. The boys went off to the loos and that's of course when the line started moving quickly. I was starting to think I'd queued all that time (about 40 mins in all) for nothing when luckily they came back into sight so I waved them over frantically and it was finally our turn.

Well...it turns out Heath really doesn't like the Mad Hatter! I think he found his accent confusing and had said that he didn't look right while we were waiting. Plus I must admit that Alice was a real damp squib bless her. She did make me laugh when she said "I don't think he's feeling Wonderland" when they were trying and failing to interact with Heath I tried to help out at one point but the Mad Hatter but shouted NO at me and turned back to Heath ha, oh well. Check out Heath's eye roll in the photo!

You can't win them all!

We went off to see the dragon under the castle after this. We arrived just at the right time for it to wake up and breathe smoke - how cool is it that there's a dragon under the castle?! I love it!

Time for yet more shopping down Main Street. We went into Harringtons again, we got a Moana pin and a slinky dog one. I love it in this shop.

We also got the 12-pack of attraction posters here.
Photo courtesy of google because I can't be bothered to go and photograph our pack! Bad dibber!

We also popped into the Emporium to add to the cuddly toy selection with Maui.

The CM was fun here, "boy, is this god for you?" Heath wasn't quite sure and hid behind me!

I'd heard great things about the hot chocolate in Cafe Fantasia in Hotel Disneyland and as it was so busy in the park, we decided to go and rest there for awhile.

When we booked the trip, I joined a few Facebook groups about DLP as I find the Dibb is fairly quiet about the Paris park - and I was in a group chat with people going at the same time, for us all to share when we spotted characters. While we were having our drink, someone messaged to say they would be leaving from the hotel shortly and did anyone want their VIP fast passes - I don't think I've ever typed so fast She said she'd be in the lobby shortly and would look out for me which led to me sending the message, "I'm wearing a pink Beauty and the Beast jumper" Not a message I ever thought I'd be sending to a complete stranger but Disney makes us do weird things right?!

Anyway, I'd had a good look at her profile picture so sidled up to her, asking if she was the lady with the tickets...she seemed to find the whole situation as strange as I did and just handed them over without much chat...so I thanked her profusely and ran away back upstairs to the cafe for Mark to laugh at me some more

It was worth all the embarrassment as we were now the proud owners of 3 VIP fast passes for the rest of the day, wahoo!
We headed off to try Buzz but the fast pass line was huge, it must have gone tech or something. Instead we pushed on to Star Tours - and it really was a push, people seemed to not be able to see Heath, so he was constantly getting slammed into! I could see one woman was about to bash into him as she was mucking about with her phone, so I had to push her away - look where you're going people!
Fortunately it was worth the scrum as we walked straight into Star Tours and it was an awesome ride this time. We had Darth Vader, an ice planet and tonnes of drops! It was a rowdy audience too, with lots of screaming and laughing which was fun. I could feel the shopping sliding out of the bag at one point though and had to clamp my feet down on the pins which were trying to escape.
Then it was Peter Pan time again - we rode it 3 times in a row. Heath was in heaven they always seem to put fast pass people in the front of the galleon too so we had a great view each time.
Next I was mean and insisted we do BTM again! We'd turned down a chance to ride at the back on our first go, this time we were offered the front and I told Heath that it was slower there...oops, I think I was wrong! The end bit in the dark was really intense at the front! It was amazing.

We had booked dinner at Chez Remy for tonight, as had our friends, so it was back to the Studios now.

We put the VIP fast pass to work again for a quick ride on Ratatouille before dinner. I think we would have been a bit fed up without the passes today - it was so busy so I really recommend avoiding weekends.
We also popped into the shop there, Chez Marianne, as Heath wanted a cuddly Remy (he comes to school with us each day now and I have to carry him home, looking very odd!). I also got a magnetic notepad for the fridge.

The restaurant let us check in together and found us a table for 7. Photo overload coming up!

We were sat by the front window near the ride entrance, at one of the cocktail umbrella tables. I went for the smaller and cheaper Linguini menu while Mark had the Emile and Heath went for Little Chef. Mark and I also shared a bottle of Cote Rhone.

Our friends were on the meal plan so didn't pay anything. It cost us €134 - gulp! We were in there for around 2 hours, which was fine as we were having a lovely time chatting, but my friend's husband was antsy because he wanted to see the Star Wars fireworks. In the end, he dashed off to see it and said he got a good view even though he only arrived 5 minutes before it started. We just saw the fireworks from our table. I then offered to take the two older boys on Ratatouille - two hyped up six-year-olds, super excited to be on a ride together...oof! They loved getting to ride together and it was lovely to squeeze another go in.

It was lucky the others were sat at a window table because we couldn't get back into the restaurant afterwards, everything was locked! We got their attention and they let us in through an exit.
Once we paid up and headed out, the park was shut and we had it all to ourselves. We were toying with the idea of trying to get empty park photos when CMs started blocking off the paths! We realised we'd outstayed our welcome and made for the exit.

My friend and I were really toying with the idea of heading back into the main park but in the end, we decided we were all too worn out so back to the hotel for bed.

Another lovely busy day!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 18, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Another fantastic day! I really cant decide whether to push the boat out and do Chez Remy one evening. Did you feel it was worth the price?
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kadypants View Post
Another fantastic day! I really cant decide whether to push the boat out and do Chez Remy one evening. Did you feel it was worth the price?
i think it is. It's pricey but the food is lovely and the theming is fantastic! We really enjoyed taking the time to relax as well, as we were rushing around so much. We only did two table service meals so it felt like a good balance and a nice change from burgers/pizzas.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm quite jealous with some of the character meet and greets! We've seen the genie from afar, but not got up close. Plus we've never met captain hook and smee! I think I'm going to have to put in a lot more effort when we go to wdw later this year so that I know where some of the rarer characters are. Also, we tried to meet Alice last time and never managed it so DD would love to meet her!

That was so lucky with the VIP tickets. I'm wearing a pink beauty and the beast jumper - brilliant!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm quite jealous with some of the character meet and greets! We've seen the genie from afar, but not got up close. Plus we've never met captain hook and smee! I think I'm going to have to put in a lot more effort when we go to wdw later this year so that I know where some of the rarer characters are. Also, we tried to meet Alice last time and never managed it so DD would love to meet her!

That was so lucky with the VIP tickets. I'm wearing a pink beauty and the beast jumper - brilliant!
I've read a few things online that say DLP is better for meeting rare characters but I'm sure there are still plenty to find in WDW. I did feel like we made the most of it, but we still missed out on ones like the Evil Queen and the White Rabbit - so I've got ones to aim for next time!

Those VIP tickets were a godsend! Haha, what a message to send to a stranger
Old 9 Mar 18, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post

134 euros?! EEK!

But I guess that unlike restaurants at WDW...they at least didn't shove you out the door with "to go" cups...even if other staff did make you distinctly unwelcome later.

That was something that really annoyed me about DLP - things closed so early and once the clock struck whatever...that was it. Not like at MK, where the staff lets you sort of lollygag your way out...

Our last Alice was wet, too. And her English accent was... Though, to be fair, it must be very difficult to find girls who fit the "look" - and have the right personality for that job. Everybody says the face characters at Disneyland are the absolute best - because so many of them are young actresses trying to make it in Hollywood.

And properly jealous of the Genie M&G. He was at MNSSHP last year...but the queues were just bonkers. I wish WDW would mix in more characters - there are so many ace ones we never see these days!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 18, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
134 euros?! EEK!

But I guess that unlike restaurants at WDW...they at least didn't shove you out the door with "to go" cups...even if other staff did make you distinctly unwelcome later.

That was something that really annoyed me about DLP - things closed so early and once the clock struck whatever...that was it. Not like at MK, where the staff lets you sort of lollygag your way out...

Our last Alice was wet, too. And her English accent was... Though, to be fair, it must be very difficult to find girls who fit the "look" - and have the right personality for that job. Everybody says the face characters at Disneyland are the absolute best - because so many of them are young actresses trying to make it in Hollywood.

And properly jealous of the Genie M&G. He was at MNSSHP last year...but the queues were just bonkers. I wish WDW would mix in more characters - there are so many ace ones we never see these days!
The Disneyland-Hollywood connection makes perfect sense but had never occurred to me before. Mark and Heath were not keen on face characters at all so even Oscar-winners may have struggled to win them over!

We were happy everything shut early because we were so tired It suited us as we're early to bed, early to rise types...but yes, it's definitely lacking for people who want more going on in the evening.

I'm really pleased with all our character meets, but Mark still follows some twitter accounts about DLP and every day sends me a new photo of a rare character we missed! Guess we'll just have to keep going back and back and back...!
Old 9 Mar 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
The Disneyland-Hollywood connection makes perfect sense but had never occurred to me before. Mark and Heath were not keen on face characters at all so even Oscar-winners may have struggled to win them over!

We were happy everything shut early because we were so tired It suited us as we're early to bed, early to rise types...but yes, it's definitely lacking for people who want more going on in the evening.

I'm really pleased with all our character meets, but Mark still follows some twitter accounts about DLP and every day sends me a new photo of a rare character we missed! Guess we'll just have to keep going back and back and back...!
A husband who WANTS to go to Disney...I'm SO jealous!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Isn't the dragon under the castle wonderful?! I love all the details at DLP. Stuff that isn't e-ticket rides or really a big deal but just makes it extra magical.

Your park photos are fab, it really looks like the put in a lot of effort sprucing everything up for the anniversary.

The ride postcards are so pretty. I love the vintage look they have, just so pretty, and unique as they look to be in French?

Score on the VIP FastPasses. 100% worth the slightly awkward interaction for all that queue jumping. Well done you!

Is the Slinky ride at DLP the same as the one they are building in Florida? The ride carriages look similar?

Shame you waited the longest for the worst interaction, but at least you know that you can skip the face characters in future.

Bistrot Chez Remy looks fabulous. I'm not a huge fan of French food (I don't like onions and am particular about what sauce touches on a plate - yes, i'm odd), but the restaurant is gorgeous and I haven't read a bad review. I live in London so may be very out of touch, but €134 doesn't seem to bad for dinner for 3 and a bottle of wine.

Shame you missed the Star Wars fireworks but you had a lovely relaxed meal and a bonus ride on Ratatouille, which is pretty good going.

Thanks for sharing another detail filled, fun packed day

134 euros?! EEK!

I feel like our dreadful 'Ohana experience is now legend for terrible service and being hustled out of a restaurant, haha.

I met genie at DLP, he was wandering around when we went about 14 years ago. Sadly due to 5 house moves by me and 1 buy my parents I have no idea where/if the photos still exist. Will have to go again to make up for it ;-)

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
Isn't the dragon under the castle wonderful?! I love all the details at DLP. Stuff that isn't e-ticket rides or really a big deal but just makes it extra magical.

Your park photos are fab, it really looks like the put in a lot of effort sprucing everything up for the anniversary.

The ride postcards are so pretty. I love the vintage look they have, just so pretty, and unique as they look to be in French?

Score on the VIP FastPasses. 100% worth the slightly awkward interaction for all that queue jumping. Well done you!

Is the Slinky ride at DLP the same as the one they are building in Florida? The ride carriages look similar?

Shame you waited the longest for the worst interaction, but at least you know that you can skip the face characters in future.

Bistrot Chez Remy looks fabulous. I'm not a huge fan of French food (I don't like onions and am particular about what sauce touches on a plate - yes, i'm odd), but the restaurant is gorgeous and I haven't read a bad review. I live in London so may be very out of touch, but €134 doesn't seem to bad for dinner for 3 and a bottle of wine.

Shame you missed the Star Wars fireworks but you had a lovely relaxed meal and a bonus ride on Ratatouille, which is pretty good going.

Thanks for sharing another detail filled, fun packed day

I feel like our dreadful 'Ohana experience is now legend for terrible service and being hustled out of a restaurant, haha.

I met genie at DLP, he was wandering around when we went about 14 years ago. Sadly due to 5 house moves by me and 1 buy my parents I have no idea where/if the photos still exist. Will have to go again to make up for it ;-)
The Slinky ride is going to be different - it's a coaster (albeit a kiddie one) in WDW, whereas this one just went round in a fast circle

Yes, I feel the same about the price of the dinner...guess we're just used to paying crazy prices! And it was lovely, really enjoyed our long leisurely dinner - won't try any of that if we go to O'Hana

I was really impressed with how the park looked - they did a great job sprucing it up and hopefully they'll keep it that way now.