Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 Nov 18, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG Florida Comeback - 28th August 2018 - Denny's, Walmart, Villa & Texas Roadhouse

Day 13

I didn’t wake up until 9.30 this morning, well needed!

We all got ready and by 10.30 we were ready for breakfast. This morning we were going to try Denny’s on the 192.
It was heaving in here so had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. The restaurant was full of Brits, it’s one thing I had really noticed so far in Orlando. I’m not sure why but it bugged me . Maybe because when I go on holiday I don’t want to feel like I’m at home

Eventually our table was ready. We had a strange guy at the podium who told us in no uncertain terms that we couldn’t have a kids menu as you needed to be under 10. This is the first place I’ve been to that has enforced this. It shouldn’t really matter. I felt like I was being told off!
We had 2 servers which was a bit odd but I think the young guy might have been training. Didn’t say so though, just kind of stood hovering over us.
Hope said she wasn’t hungry plus they didn’t have croissants on the menu. Oh dear, we weren’t off to a very good start
After perusing the menu I went with the American slam, Jim the slamwich and Sam the original slam.
I had a strawberry lemonade, Jim coffee, Sam Minute Maid lemonade and Hope a Dr Pepper.
The food soon came and was all very tasty. Denny’s has redeemed itself!

We went to pay at the front $48 including tip.
From here we drove to the new Walmart on N Lake Wilson Road.
We decided to split up to save time as you know it can take me months to get around one of these stores .
Hope and I went down nearly every aisle and over an hour later we were done.
Ah the return of the supermarket photos, you're welcome

We got some more supplies for the villa like drinks and the more important Krispy Kreme donuts. Also got some grapes and bananas, we were needing some fruit! This lot came to $48.

For my personal stash I bought some cake/pancakes mixes, party size caramel M&Ms, Ghiradelli chocolate caramel squares, pulled pork slow cooker mixes, some Elf make up, Secret deodorant, and a whole lot of different pills and potions. I looked like the local drug dealer with my stash

Also got Hope a sketch book and pencils. She wanted to do some drawing whilst away so was happy to get it for her.
This lot came to a whopping $136

Straight back to villa where I made sure Hope had her very nutritious breakfast/lunch of 2 croissants and a donut...
We all went outside, kids got straight in the pool. Spent an hour or so chilling, with Jim and Sam trying to chuck Hope and I in Thankfully they didn’t succeed!

The afternoon storm came early today at 2pm so we were forced inside. Checked Accuweather that said it was set for 2 hours so the kids retreated to their bedrooms and I pottered around sorting out where I was putting all the bits I had bought so far. Jim had an afternoon nap.
Accuweather turned out to be not so accurate, the rain didn’t look like it was easing up anytime soon so we spent more time just dossing for the afternoon. Bit of a boring one today. I went through all our receipts from so far on this holiday and logged how much we had spent. The figures didn’t look great, we had spent a lot

At about 6.30 we got ready for dinner.
Tonight we were going to Texas Roadhouse on the 192. Again it was heaving, we had to queue just to get inside! It was still flipping raining. Not used to this extended rain in Florida, it’s usually a short sharp downpour mid afternoon then it brightens up almost as quickly as it started.

Eventually we got a buzzer and were told a 15-25 min wait. We went and found a seat in the waiting area and helped ourselves to some of their peanuts.
After 25 minutes the buzzer went off so went to the podium. Got told we had to wait yet again for our seater to come and get us. It was feeling a million miles away from the peacefulness of AMI right now!

Eventually got seated with some of their yummy bread rolls and cinnamon butter. I had a free appetiser voucher so ordered the loaded potato skins to start.
I knew already what I was ordering, the same as last year. The pulled pork dinner with mash and buttered corn. Jim had the sirloin and shrimp duo, Hope a cheeseburger (surprise surprise!) and Sam the kids hotdog.
The appetiser was brought out in no time, was really nice. Didn’t want to fill up on that though.
Once we were done, our mains were then delivered by a different server, a young girl called Kylie. Sam admitted he thought she was cute. I hate having a teenage son, he is a walking bag of hormones
Dinner was lovely apart from the corn, slightly odd looking and was very watery.
Sorry no photos, trip report fail! Bill came to $80 including tip. Not bad value.

Thankfully it had stopped raining, better late than never! It was nearly 9 now so straight back to the villa to watch Pitch Perfect 2 before bed.
I promise tomorrow will be more interesting! The kids and I go on an airboat ride with Wild Florida in the morning, more shopping in the afternoon then we all go to the Drive-in Movie Theatre in the evening

Edited at 09:34 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 18, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The breakfast at Denny's looks fab. And then shopping! So many photos of the aisles you really spoiled us. I think you did well to contain yourself and spend less than $200. I always hate adding up the holiday spends and I only ever do it once we've got home! It's better left for the cold light of day when you're missing the holdiay.

A shame the rain lasted so long and then you had to wait to get seated for dinner. A bit of a lazy day, but then sometimes you need those more relaxing days.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

A bit mixed on the food service front there today !
Nice to mooch round Walmart and have some pool time but boo to the pro longed spell of rain. Sometimes pottering around the villa is what you need. Ugh, adding up holiday spends, I leave that to Andy !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The breakfast at Denny's looks fab. And then shopping! So many photos of the aisles you really spoiled us. I think you did well to contain yourself and spend less than $200. I always hate adding up the holiday spends and I only ever do it once we've got home! It's better left for the cold light of day when you're missing the holdiay.

A shame the rain lasted so long and then you had to wait to get seated for dinner. A bit of a lazy day, but then sometimes you need those more relaxing days.
Ah that Denny's breakfast was so good!
Haha I know how to spoil you all, you're welcome . This is very true I could have spent at least double that if money allowed!
Yes I probably should have left the adding up until I got home, it was slightly depressing. Totally worth spending all that money though!
It was so weird with the weather. The last 2 August visits we've always experienced the typical storms in the afternoon that's it. I was feeling slightly cursed with Mother Nature this holiday

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
A bit mixed on the food service front there today !
Nice to mooch round Walmart and have some pool time but boo to the pro longed spell of rain. Sometimes pottering around the villa is what you need. Ugh, adding up holiday spends, I leave that to Andy !
It was a nice relaxing day today, very different from our usual Orlando holidays!
Haha if I left it up to Jim, well it just wouldn't get done! Jim is a spend now, think about it later kind of man

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 27 Nov 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Your supermarket photos are great, it's just made me really wish the days away till my next trip (even though we've got Christmas to look forward to first!)
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 18, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Your supermarket photos are great, it's just made me really wish the days away till my next trip (even though we've got Christmas to look forward to first!)
Looking round an American supermarket is one of the things I look forward to most 😳. Have a lovely holiday, not long for you to go now!

IG - alicialanesmith