Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 23 Feb 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Universal Refillable Cups

Would someone mind talking me through the refillable cup options for US/IOA?

Is it worth doing? We're a family of 4 and will be staying at HRH for 3 nights in August.

Should we get one each, or would 2 between the 4 of us be enough? Can I pay for 3 days in one go? What are the drinks options? One DD doesn't like fizzy drinks so I'm interested to know what the still options are. (If she's just going to use it for water the whole time I'm not sure it would be worth it.) The other DD is the opposite and I'll be trying to limit how much neon Fanta she drinks!

We're not sure if we're going to Volcano Bay yet, but can they be used there too?

TIA
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

We tend to buy one between us. You do have to wait a few minutes between fills, but this isn't an issue as one person fills and drinks it by the time we got to the next station. Still drinks were limited as I recall, mainly Minute Maid Lemonade.

TBH most of us were happier with the free cups of iced water and I just added some Robinsons Squash'd to it. This was much more refreshing imho.
Old 23 Feb 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyWannabe View Post
We tend to buy one between us. You do have to wait a few minutes between fills, but this isn't an issue as one person fills and drinks it by the time we got to the next station. Still drinks were limited as I recall, mainly Minute Maid Lemonade.

TBH most of us were happier with the free cups of iced water and I just added some Robinsons Squash'd to it. This was much more refreshing imho.
Maybe just one will be enough, we can get free water for fizzy hating DD and the rest of us can share from the refill cup.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

if you go for the coke freestyle cups, you'll pay a one time amount for the cup, then you'll need to renew it at a reduced price every day you wish to use the system

coke freestyle will have minumte maid lemonades in a lot of flavors (grape, orange, lemon, vanilla, peach ... and so on)

you could also buy a character mug, you can refill for a small fee each time, but non fizzy options are much more limited (mainly powerade, minute maid (lemon, or sometimes pomgrenate)

others will be fizzy

getting one mug for a family sounds like a less expensive way, but you need to wait for quite a long time between refills. And all things considered, if everybody's very thirsty under the florida sun, you might end up spending more time waiting for the machine, than waiting in lines, and eventually get cups of free ice water when you've paid for drinks ... sure does make less sense that way.

some manage to quench the thirst of 4 with a refillable mug and say they're fine with it ... well ... depends on the family.
As far as we're concerned, we get one cup each, and quite often irf I've been served first, I've downed my own cup before my wife has finished filling hers ... and I'm finding myself waiting for MY next refill "for the road" ... and we get a cup each ...

so depends if you're a thirsty family or if you have Camel relatives (water wise )
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
You can also get slushies in the freestyle cups but less places to get those than fizzy options. We do 2-3 between 5 of us. Can be used at volcano bay but not hotels. I think you can buy multiple days but we just did it daily.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
if you go for the coke freestyle cups, you'll pay a one time amount for the cup, then you'll need to renew it at a reduced price every day you wish to use the system

coke freestyle will have minumte maid lemonades in a lot of flavors (grape, orange, lemon, vanilla, peach ... and so on)

you could also buy a character mug, you can refill for a small fee each time, but non fizzy options are much more limited (mainly powerade, minute maid (lemon, or sometimes pomgrenate)

others will be fizzy

getting one mug for a family sounds like a less expensive way, but you need to wait for quite a long time between refills. And all things considered, if everybody's very thirsty under the florida sun, you might end up spending more time waiting for the machine, than waiting in lines, and eventually get cups of free ice water when you've paid for drinks ... sure does make less sense that way.

some manage to quench the thirst of 4 with a refillable mug and say they're fine with it ... well ... depends on the family.
As far as we're concerned, we get one cup each, and quite often irf I've been served first, I've downed my own cup before my wife has finished filling hers ... and I'm finding myself waiting for MY next refill "for the road" ... and we get a cup each ...

so depends if you're a thirsty family or if you have Camel relatives (water wise )
Do you remember what the waiting time between refills is roughly? Maybe two cups would be better, at least there will be fewer arguements about what we put in them. We could just get one each but the family packhorse, ie me, will end up lugging them round the parks all day!
Old 23 Feb 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by rafjen View Post
You can also get slushies in the freestyle cups but less places to get those than fizzy options. We do 2-3 between 5 of us. Can be used at volcano bay but not hotels. I think you can buy multiple days but we just did it daily.
Ahh, the fizzy hater does like slushies so she'll probably go for those.
Old 23 Feb 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
chippyminton
slightly serious Dibber

orlandoinformer/universa...oke-freestyle/

Everything you need to know in this link to the Orlando Informer.

We had one freestyle cup, and the time between refills is 10 minutes.

The slushes were great, but you had to hunt down the places that have them and different places have different flavours.

Edited at 10:32 PM.
chippyminton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by chippyminton View Post
orlandoinformer/universa...oke-freestyle/

Everything you need to know in this link to the Orlando Informer.

We had one freestyle cup, and the time between refills is 10 minutes.

The slushes were great, but you had to hunt down the places that have them and different places have different flavours.
Great link, thank you.
Old 26 Feb 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mykeyb
Gone all Goofy

We are just back, and used the freestyle cup system in the universal parks. We bought a new cup on first visit and then just reloaded it on the days we needed it. (You only get an annual pass discount at an inside food counter not the small stands outside if you have one of those)We shared one between three of us. There are loads of places to fill up the cup, machines through the park. We noticed quite a few more compared to last year and a lot more of the counters serve icees this year which are part of the price. We also took a plain cup for our daughter, who will only drink water or squash, and we filled up her own cup each time we went to a machine with water and ice. You don’t need a freestyle cup to do this. We just took one of the small robinsons concentrated squashed for her. I did also notice they sell these squashes in Walmart.
mykeyb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List