Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Tenancy Advice

Hi everyone

I’m looking some advice for my DD, she is in a joint tenancy agreement with another girl and due to the unreasonable behaviour of the other tenant she has had to move out of the property.

Her landlord is very difficult to get hold of, he always has been.

She rang him two weeks ago and asked for a chat about issues and asked if there was any way to get out of the tenancy early. He said he was on holidays and would come and see her on Saturday past for a chat, which we were happy enough with.

She then messaged him on Friday asking if he was still ok to meet on Saturday to which he replied he would still be on holidays so it would have to be Monday (today). She then replied saying that today was fine but she told him that things had gotten worse and for her own safety she was moving out of the house yesterday and could they meet somewhere other than the house.

He read the message and did not reply and has not made any to meet with her today. She has messaged him again asking when he can meet with her and telling him she has moved out of that property and it’s obviously very urgent that we meet with him.

I’m going to make an appointment with a solicitor to see where we stand on a legal basis as regards getting out of the tenancy agreement, or not, but does anyone have any advice?

There are some very serious issues regarding why she had to leave the house so this is not just a falling out and she’s left in a huff, we had to get her out of there.

Sorry for such a long post, but if anyone can give any advice I’d be very grateful.
Danex is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Friends daughter had to continue to pay her landlord despite moving out due to significant issues with her flat mate. DD has just changed her flat it's a month rolling tenancy( she has a year plus lease but can simply give 28 days notice & move out with no penalty). I know Scottish tenancy rules have changed.
Check with citizens advice for your legal rights.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by storm View Post
Friends daughter had to continue to pay her landlord despite moving out due to significant issues with her flat mate. DD has just changed her flat it's a month rolling tenancy( she has a year plus lease but can simply give 28 days notice & move out with no penalty). I know Scottish tenancy rules have changed.
Check with citizens advice for your legal rights.
Thank you for your reply, I’ll check with Citizens advice and see if they can help at all
Danex is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Shelter may be able to offer advice

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

It can be very difficult to leave a joint tenancy agreement early. As a CAB adviser, I would advise you to contact Shelter as they are excellent in dealing with housing situations. Is your daughter renting while at university? It may be possible that student support services may be able to help.

england.shelter.uk/housi...oint_tenancies
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
It can be very difficult to leave a joint tenancy agreement early. As a CAB adviser, I would advise you to contact Shelter as they are excellent in dealing with housing situations. Is your daughter renting while at university? It may be possible that student support services may be able to help.

england.shelter.uk/housi...oint_tenancies
Thank you for your advice, no she’s not a student.
She works and is supporting herself.
It’s just an awful situation where her personal safety is in danger so we have had to move her out of the house and will try and deal with the consequences of whatever happens.

Still no reply from the landlord, which doesn’t actually surprise me as there are issues in the house since she moved in which were supposed to be repaired and fixed and still have not been resolved.
To say I’m not impressed in an understatement.
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

To be fair to the landlord very little if this is their responsibility or even their concern.

Your daughter took on a flat with someone who has turned out to be unsavoury, why should the landlord be expected to do anything at all to resolve this?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

It really depends on what her tenancy states and what the terms are. In some cases a joint tenancy can be ended by either tenant it may depend on whether she is tied in for any length of time. I agree with seeking advice from shelter or CAB they are normally quite knowledgeable on tenancy agreements and should be able to advise. If the issues are that bad I would advise to put them in writing to the landlord and record it so she can prove that he has been advised given his unwillingness to meet with her to discuss.
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
To be fair to the landlord very little if this is their responsibility or even their concern.

Your daughter took on a flat with someone who has turned out to be unsavoury, why should the landlord be expected to do anything at all to resolve this?
Thank you for your reply, it’s actually a house they are renting, but yes I understand what you mean.

She’s not trying to shirk her responsibilities, but some of the behaviour is life threatening to her (I’m not exaggerating), so I was hoping we could meet with the landlord and come to a comprise over the rent owing for the rest of the tenancy period.

Obviously he doesn’t have to agree to this, but a little communication with her should surely be expected even if it’s to say nothing can be done.
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
It really depends on what her tenancy states and what the terms are. In some cases a joint tenancy can be ended by either tenant it may depend on whether she is tied in for any length of time. I agree with seeking advice from shelter or CAB they are normally quite knowledgeable on tenancy agreements and should be able to advise. If the issues are that bad I would advise to put them in writing to the landlord and record it so she can prove that he has been advised given his unwillingness to meet with her to discuss.
Thank you for you advice