Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 23 Jun 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
lardyboy
Getting Excited

Boat vs. Monorail for first ever visit to MK?

Our first day of our holiday is planned as MK, so that the grandkids can see the best introduction to Disney possible (although not the absolute best as there's no rope drop show).

We've approached the park entrance from parking by boat and by monorail and I think both are brilliant, but was wondering if anyone could offer their thoughts on which they consider the best way to approach for first-timers aged between four and nine years.

Thanks in advance

Lardy
lardyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Radcliffe
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Oooh this is a tricky one as I think the boat is great for that nice slow look at Magic Kingdom as you approach and on one trip over we had characters on board too - not sure that still happens!

But …… with the monorail you get more glimpses of the park etc - I always think that is more exciting.
Radcliffe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Boat for sure.

Standing at the front and watching as you get ever-closer, and those first glimpses of the castle can't be beat.

You should be able to get some lovely pictures of it all unfolding, and the look of wonder on their faces too!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

I think for the first time you can’t beat the Ferryboat. Upstairs and right upfront, just magical 🤩
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
hvasey
Imagineer

Definitely the boat, our first trip was 1996, DD was 6 and I can still remember taking the boat over.
hvasey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Boat

Disney332
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

I’m going to be the one to disagree. Everyone always says boat so that’s what we did and if I could go back and change anything about our trip it would be not going by boat on that first ever time to MK!
It was incredibly busy. We were getting there for rope drop and people were pushing and shoving. They crammed people on and it was so uncomfortable. It seemed to take a while to load up, sail across and unload and we were all desperate to get to the park. We love the monorail and find the anticipation on that far more exciting than the boat - especially going through the Contemporary!
That’s just my personal opinion though 😊
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Boat for sure. Far more magical than the monorail. And the glimpse of the castle turrets as they get closer... with all the wonders of the different lands in the park waiting to unfold as they walk in... monorail is a bit too functional to be magic for me.
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
I’m going to be the one to disagree. Everyone always says boat so that’s what we did and if I could go back and change anything about our trip it would be not going by boat on that first ever time to MK!
It was incredibly busy. We were getting there for rope drop and people were pushing and shoving. They crammed people on and it was so uncomfortable. It seemed to take a while to load up, sail across and unload and we were all desperate to get to the park. We love the monorail and find the anticipation on that far more exciting than the boat - especially going through the Contemporary!
That’s just my personal opinion though 😊
It can be rammed in the monorail too though...Ive had very squished journeys on there at times! Rather leave that way so can look over into the park and then have the novelty of the contemporary to sugar coat the fact your leaving!
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Boat ✅
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List