Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 9 Nov 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Mobile

I know a lot of Americans and the concept someone wouldn't tip doesn't go down well with them. Of course in a nation of 360 million you are going to get all sorts doing all sorts but what we are talking here is what the vast majority do.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
I have just looked at California Grill brunch (is that what you mean?) its $95 per adult and $56 for your 4yr old, 2 yr old free, but as you are a party over 6 you will have the automatic service charge added, if at 18% the 'tip/service charge' will be around $95 or at 20% $106 that's just for your meal - any drinks would be extra on top with extra tip/service charge added to that

I can't believe I am reading that right with those prices so happy to be corrected if I am wrong. That to me is a crazy amount and you would never get me paying that amount of tip - actually I would never pay $95 for a brunch but that's another thread.
If you don't like the culture of tipping for service then I suggest you don't eat at a table service restaurant in the USA.

Sounds harsh- but that the way it is out there, go with the mindset that the menu price is x amout plus25% (for tip and tax) and you will probably have a better time.

Everyone in UK pays 20% tax on a meal if you eat in, it's in the menu price, in WDW you pay 6.5% and a tip, it almost works out the same.

You have to think about it differently, you can't 'not tip' or 'reduce tip' just because you think its excessive as you really are hurting people that work hard.

Edited at 12:29 AM.
gavvy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
If you don't like the culture of tipping for service then I suggest you don't eat at a table service restaurant in the USA.

Sounds harsh- but that the way it is out there, go with the mindset that the menu price is x amout plus25% (for tip and tax) and you will probably have a better time.

Everyone in UK pays 20% tax on a meal if you eat in, it's in the menu price, in WDW you pay 6.5% and a tip, it almost works out the same.

You have to think about it differently, you can't 'not tip' or 'reduce tip' just because you think its excessive as you really are hurting people that work hard.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I have no problem with tipping where tipping is due.

What I do have a problem with is being told/suggested what to tip, I never said I would reduce the tip just because I don't agree with it I said I would reduce the tip or give no tip if I get poor service. I will not pay for poor service, but that would be the same anywhere and in any country.

I can give give eg.s of three restaurants where I did not tip in October due to rubbish service and three where I tipped very well due to really good service.

There is no argument that you can give me that warrants a tip size of 100+ dollars in Disney it makes no sense what so ever, what level of tip is OK $200, $300 because its the culture, where does it stop? I can imagine it also prevents people for experiencing table service meals/character meals due to this, it is just simply greed and distasteful.

I do not and have never eaten in a Disney table service restaurant due to their excessive menu prices and the ridiculous 'suggested' (but expected) tip so yes I already vote with my feet and refuse to go.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

In the end its your choice if to go or not. If you can't or don't want to pay out those sums is a personal choice for you.

Stick to the Cracker Barrel I would suggest. 50 dollers feeds a family of four and the tip will only cost you around 9 dollars.

Edited at 08:45 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes it is my choice to eat where I want to, and it is my choice to choose whether I tip $100 , and as I will be paying oop at California grill for our family of 7 I choose not to. If it was just myself and my husband it might be different
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
The brunch is a really luxury meal though. I have seen YouTube videos of it, and it would be for a very special occasion.

If you just wanted a normal brunch somewhere in WDW, there are plenty of less expensive options.
Its nice but wouldn't say its that luxurious (people go in shorts and vest tops) and certainly doesn't warrant that kind of tip. Especially when the majority is a buffet.
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jocesk View Post
Its nice but wouldn't say its that luxurious (people go in shorts and vest tops) and certainly doesn't warrant that kind of tip. Especially when the majority is a buffet.
I wouldn't say the majority is a buffet - there is a substantial continental / appetiser buffet but entrees, desserts, coffee and drinks are served at the table. All with a backdrop of live music and excellent service.
We've eaten brunch there a few times, and I've never seen anyone at all in vests/shorts.
We don't 'dress up' but I do wear a summer dress or capris/nicer top and DH wears a polo shirt - as do most people.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by jocesk View Post
The majority of the brunch at Palo on the Disney cruise ships is a buffet. It’s still extremely high end though - I have eaten there and loved it. I was under the impression the CG brunch was similar quality.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
The majority of the brunch at Palo on the Disney cruise ships is a buffet. It’s still extremely high end though - I have eaten there and loved it. I was under the impression the CG brunch was similar quality.
It is Gill.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Edjames
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
If you have a bad day at work you get paid regardless...

If the server has a bad day you think they should get paid around $6.44 per hour ?

It might sound crazy to you but you have had the benefit of growing up in a society that doesn't depend on tips to make up their wages to a reasonable level.

Sounds crazy to me you think they deserve such little pay because you feel the service wasn't up to what you wanted.
I get that you should tip them and that $5.50 an hour is not a good wage. But if it takes me an hour to eat and my bill comes to $200, that means I'm paying them $41.50 an HOUR! That's mental.

Further, bear in mind that they're not focussed purely on my table during that time period, so I'm not even getting an hour of work out of them for that amount. They're providing me a service for, at most 25% of that hour.

So now lets assume they're serving four tables for that hour. They earn their $5.50 an hour, plus, let's assuming four $100 bills, at $18 service for each. That's $77.50 per hour. Assume an 8 hour day, that's £620, $3,100 per week and circa $13,000 per month. $156k a year.

Now given how few servers you see driving around in Porsches, it's safe to say that whopping 18% is almost DEFINITELY not going to your server.

And that's why tipping sucks.

Pay your staff a fair amount and tell me on the menu what my food will ACTUALLY cost me.
Edjames is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List