Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Feb 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Question to the OP:

If your son had the same symptoms 6 months ago before the recent COVID-19 news reports started, would you have called 111? Would you have kept your son off? Would you have been worried?

If yes, then it’s not an overreaction fuelled by the recent media reports. It’s what you would’ve done normally.

If no, then you overreacted based on the recent media reports.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Its not so much the “end of the world” type headlines but more the coverage of every little detail about the virus and constant repetition of these details. Like it’s, y’know, the end of the world or something. No wonder some people are being hysterical about it.

But, yeah, there are headlines about “Europe on Red Alert”
dailymail/health/a...ronavirus.html

And then there’s...

That’s mass media hype right there.

Remember over 700,000 people in the UK had swine flu whilst that was classed as pandemic (it still exits and still kills people, but now it’s classed part of the seasonal flu epidemic). And 60 million people in the USA had it. We aren’t anywhere near that level yet with COVID-19.

Were you concerned during the swine flu pandemic? Did you self isolate? Was your travel disrupted?
I'm actually not concerned now but can't appreciate why others are.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

It’s all down to personal choice at the end of the day. OP you have raised valid concerns and you shouldn’t be judged for doing that.

Edited at 08:17 AM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We live with 2 members with immune compramised issuesme being one
How we cope
Hand washing taught at a very very early age daftbas it sounds teach them to sing happy birthday to me at least twice through every time
If the little uns have issues with hand dryers in rest rooms a couple of sheets of kitchen roll or their own face flannel
We personally don’t sit down on s plane seat quick service restaurants till I’ve wiped it over
On our flight from Hawaii toDLlas this week we were given a pack of anti back wipes paper tissues a bin bag and hand gel
Me I held the flight up took a coughing fit on the plane before take off
Lady in front had a perfume on thatsets me off big time ( it is Avery old scent ):
10 mins after my anti histamine copiously amount of water and hot black tea I was good to go got;a fair few looks from m other passengers thought
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Over reaction? Probably, BUT you are a parent - and one with a vulnerable child so you are entitled to. You have done the right thing by dialing 111 and you are doing the right thing by following their advise. I honestly hope that it is an over reaction and your son is fine
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Flu type viruses come on quick,
I’ve only had it 3 times and always started with a sore chest and feeble cough ,by next day absolutely flawed .
I’d let him go ,especially if he’s well enough for school
I would be checking with your doctor to see if there is anything you can do to prevent getting it again, or see if you are compromised in any way , if you have had flu 3 times. I too don't know anyone that has ever had flu to my knowledge
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

I'v had flu twice. Once as a child over Christmas. My sister had it as well and my Dad was home on leave so that was Christmas spoilt. Second time was in December 1980. I remember the month as I was off college for over a week covering the day John Lennon was shot.

Have had bad colds since but OMG never flu.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
I would be checking with your doctor to see if there is anything you can do to prevent getting it again, or see if you are compromised in any way , if you have had flu 3 times. I too don't know anyone that has ever had flu to my knowledge
First two times it was definitely flu , 3rd could’ve been a bad virus to be honest.
I usually have the flu jab but haven’t for last 3 years
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
You have “only” had flu three times? That is an extraordinary number of times to have had flu. I am 49 and I have never had flu, nor do I even know of anyone that has ever had flu. I know a lot of people that have called their colds “the flu”.
Bit patronising but ok .. I’m 38 soon and yes definitely at least twice ,like I said above 3rd was perhaps just a very bad virus.
Don’t think you can compare your own health to mine , you don’t even know me ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Bit patronising but ok .. I’m 38 soon and yes definitely at least twice ,like I said above 3rd was perhaps just a very bad virus.
Don’t think you can compare your own health to mine , you don’t even know me ?
I've had the flu twice and I'm 29. But I never get cold or coughs like most of my office x