Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jun 22, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
As an only child I never expected to make friends on holiday. I was used to being with adults all the time. But cruise have a lot for kids and it seems they do make friends there. Definitely worth considering.

Edited at 12:40 PM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 22, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Currently at the Hard Rock in Tenerife and liking it so far, one day in. WDW is not for us at the moment. We have done loads of road trips all over the US and Canada tours but trying something different.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 22, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Currently at the Hard Rock in Tenerife and liking it so far, one day in. WDW is not for us at the moment. We have done loads of road trips all over the US and Canada tours but trying something different.
How is playa paraiso as a resort now? We visited there just over 15 years ago and it was like a building site! No beach, about 2 restaurants, 2 bars and 1 small shop lol 😂 we were sooo bored we got taxis most days to playa de las americas 😂
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 22, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
There’s not a beach to speak of but opposite the hotel there are bars, shops etc. probably a bit quiet if you want nightlife but there is more here than your earlier description I think
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 22, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Long haul isn’t for us either, so many beautiful places in Europe a little over 2 hours flight, off to Lake Garda in a few weeks, fourth visit, as we are getting older happy with sun and relaxation and a little exploration, as car rental is extortionate at the moment looking for good public transport links
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 22, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
We first did Florida in 1998 when DS was 5, next time was 2003 when DD was 4 and since then have been every 2-3 years, most recently in 2019. Even allowing for pandemic I doubt we'd have gone this year so it'd have been our longest time without a visit - partly due to kids being grown up and partly due to potential disenchantment with Genie etc. and wanting to hear more from others about how it's worked for them. Still love trips to America though, so it's given us opportunity to visit Washington, San Francisco, Philadelphia and a planned trip to Boston, NE and NYC in the Autumn. The Disney habit is a hard one to break but it's been good seeing other parts of the country.
New England is lovely, we've been there a few times and love it. Its normally cold though as we go skiing
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
We had originally planned to return to Florida in October this year, however after we returned from our trip last month DH said he really hadn’t felt it this time and wasn’t in a rush to return anytime soon. I have to say I agree with him, it was lovely to be back in Orlando but it was more a feeling of ‘familiarity’ and comfort than enjoying the parks and rides.

So we then decided to try california we were planning LA, SD and Anaheim. However when we were discussing and planning it I could tell DH wasn’t keen and I was having to try and convince him he’d enjoy it. (DH is a nightmare and a people pleaser so won’t just come out and say he’s not keen!)
He finally said he’s not keen on a long haul flight right now or having to drive whilst over there (I don’t drive).

we’ve decided on Tenerife in October and I can already tell DH is much happier. We will prob do Costa Rica next July (DS is doing GCSE so we are tied to school holidays for next year) with maybe a week in Spain in October to give port aventura a try. We will also have some mini breaks in the U.K. with the dog.

We have discussed trying out a cruise after next year as it’s likely to just be the 2 of us by then, but it doesn’t seem like we’ll be visiting the US and particularly Orlando in the near future.

I feel sad but I think that’s just because it’s what we’ve been used to for the last 5 years!
We’re going back in October after going last month but we paid for this almost 2 years ago and it’s been moved 3 times we also have annual passes for Universal but DH has said no to going next year as it’s too expensive.
We’ve booked 11 nights in Gran Canaria for next May but I keep going back to look at Orlando holidays for September/October in the hope I can talk him round.
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
We’re going back in October after going last month but we paid for this almost 2 years ago and it’s been moved 3 times we also have annual passes for Universal but DH has said no to going next year as it’s too expensive.
We’ve booked 11 nights in Gran Canaria for next May but I keep going back to look at Orlando holidays for September/October in the hope I can talk him round.
I know I could do this as DH is a people pleaser but I have to be considerate to his feelings. I think if it was just a case of him thinking it was too much money I may have tried to talk him round. I think it’s a combination of us getting older so just not feeling the rides anymore, increasing crowd levels and the kids being older so not having that ‘magic’ feeling anymore. He also hates long haul and has a drive from Gatwick back to Worcester after the night flight which he hates.
I am still feeling a little sad at the prospect of perhaps never going back to Orlando but I can already tell DH is actually relieved.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
You have to make choices to suit yourselves as many have said.
We have done many, many USA trips - mainly road trips as we like the open roads, national parks and the big skies. DH loves to drive and I love to navigate.
We are giving up for a while after the next road trip, which is booked, purely because it’s not a cheap holiday anymore with inflation and the exchange rate.
Don’t mind long haul and we have to as we have grandchildren in Australia - so the world is your oyster.
Be brave, think what you really want to see and do - it’s about experiencing life before you can’t travel anymore.
Maybe cruises are the way if your DH doesn’t want to fly long distances or drive - there are so many places to explore - just get out there!

Ps don’t feel sad about Orlando, I feel that way when I haven’t been for a while and have said “never again”. It isn’t going anywhere and you just never know ………….

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 09:55 AM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I spent last week in Madeira and it was one of the best holidays I've ever had. I stayed in a lovely 'adults only' hotel in Funchal, the capital city. The hotel was between a beautiful promenade and Funchal Old Town. It was peaceful and relaxing but there was a lot to see and do within a few minutes walking distance.

The hotel had a pool bar which did yummy cocktails and ice cream sundaes as well as basic hot food. There was a buffet breakfast with loads of choice - you could even have a glass of sparkling wine! Dinner was available in the restaurant. There was a barbecue the evening I arrived which was yummy. There was a Portugese buffet one evening which again was yummy.

The rest of the time I had lunch or dinner at nearby restaurants, all very reasonably priced. I'm going there again, same time next year 😀

Edited at 11:09 AM.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List