Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 11 Apr 18, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
I reckon if you explain that to them / the chef, they would give you something you can eat...

My son has dyspraxia, alopecia, autism, aphergers, adha... AND is a vegetarian! We have always found something...or his had a snack after!

It's probably cheaper than doing the desert party?!
Oh goodness, I understand the struggles. My youngest son also has T1 diabetes, but it's much easier to manage his food compared to my eldest! My DH won't eat onions at all, but will try most other things. The rest of us won't eat tomatoes or mushrooms or strong cheese (we only buy mild cheddar at home), and none of us eat any sea food at all...

I think I'm going to stick with my original plan and book it because we can always cancel up until the day before. I know they change the menu often too, so I'll keep an eye out.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Get in touch with the restaurant and explain what you can and can’t eat. Any Disney restaurant will go the extra mile to accommodate you.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
MrIncredible
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Mobile

I don't really see the point in going to a nice restaurant if all you want to eat is fries. Seems a waste of money.
MrIncredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrIncredible View Post
I don't really see the point in going to a nice restaurant if all you want to eat is fries. Seems a waste of money.
That's definitely not the case, it seems you didn't actually read very many of my posts

I can make the vast majority of WDW restaurants work for us. I really want to try CG for the experience and the fireworks view, and older CG menus were fine. We very much enjoy meat dishes and appreciate a good steak, but tend not to enjoy what is to us adventurous sauces or sides. I'm aware other people may look down at us for that and tut or roll their eyes, but this is WDW, so I was asking to see if anyone else has been in the situation. Luckily we're not a unique family and there have been some very useful posts
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

You can ask for no sauce or sauce on the side, plain veg - not a problem.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Just what I wanted to hear Gill, thank you!
Old 11 Apr 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shani View Post
Just what I wanted to hear Gill, thank you!
Lol - I got this when I said I didn't like the food at Bama - got told that I only like English food! Only thing I really don't like is mustard (and I am from Norfolk!) - sometimes it's how you fell on the night…

A good chef will rise to the challenge and serve you a dish you like (they so often have for our veggie when there hasn't been things on the menu).

I think 75% of the reason we go to the restaurants is for the theming anyway - food is a bonus!

Good idea to book it and see how you feel near the time, as it can be hard to get otherwise.

Edited at 08:57 PM.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Lol - I got this when I said I didn't like the food at Bama - got told that I only like English food! Only thing I really don't like is mustard (and I am from Norfolk!) - sometimes it's how you fell on the night…

A good chef will rise to the challenge and serve you a dish you like (they so often have for our veggie when there hasn't been things on the menu).

I think 75% of the reason we go to the restaurants is for the theming anyway - food is a bonus!

Good idea to book it and see how you feel near the time, as it can be hard to get otherwise.
LOL I'll go a step further towards controversy and say that we didn't really enjoy the food at O'hana (dinner), other than the meat skewers and the lovely pudding... and the buffet dinner at Tusker House didn't win any fans from us either (and I think Boma and Tusker House dinners are quite similar in tastes?)

I absolutely agree, the experience and atmosphere is definitely what we love about eating onsite. If previous years are anything to go by, we'll have a billion QS credits to use up so no biggy if we need to grab something afterwards
Old 12 Apr 18, 05:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MrIncredible View Post
I agree. I also watch a lot of cooking / cheffing shoes and know how much work it is. I just know that I personally would not go to a restaurant, where I know I don’t like the menu, and then add to the workload by asking them to cook something not on the menu.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Any restaurant with a good chef would take pride in doing so.

My mum has a very restricted diet for medical reasons. The chain places in the UK cannot cope with a request for a plain chicken breast, boiled potatoes and veg. All their food is ready prepped so it is easier and quicker.

By contrast, a decent restaurant has no problem doing this and treats her with as much as care as someone like me who is ordering the fancy schmancy stuff.

The ability to cook something simple and make it delicious is a test of a good chef. They will be only too pleased to help.