Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jul 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
janeg88
Imagineer

janeg88's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
As a teacher.
Ur child is missing 10% of the accademic year they will never recover that time.
I would say reconsider. If child has flu etc then ur looking intervention from EWO and thats not good.
This is about more than a fine...
Also as a teacher I completely disagree, other than at certain times of the year (start and end of the school year) I would encourage everyone to have the holiday.

Life experience is way more important.

80% is our attendance level for intervention, so 380 openings, so 76 absences which is 38 days.
janeg88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by janeg88 View Post
Also as a teacher I completely disagree, other than at certain times of the year (start and end of the school year) I would encourage everyone to have the holiday.

80% is our attendance level for intervention, so 380 openings, so 76 absences which is 38 days.
I always say learning isn't just for the classroom, Definately agree with life experiences
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

Just another thought, they do the phonics testing in year 1 don’t they, not sure what time of year that is, so you’ll need to ask if they can bring the test forward if it’s in June.
Old 18 Jul 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

See in hubby’s work they all blokes with 6 out of the 8 having school age kids so it would have been difficult for us to get summer off as well cos he had Easter booked already and gotta take turns
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JellyEllieBean View Post
Just another thought, they do the phonics testing in year 1 don’t they, not sure what time of year that is, so you’ll need to ask if they can bring the test forward if it’s in June.
She had one this year in June too. She’s had it done before we went. Teacher says brilliant also with her tenses etc. Eldest is a brain box. Litttest likes water is what reports said lol
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
As someone who missed more school due to illness/injury/disability PLUS 2 weeks a year holiday. Just going to throw a spanner in the works and say I have a degree, work full time in something to do with my degree, work part time in a job I absolutely love the bones of and wouldn’t swap for the world.

Please don’t say the child will never recover... it doesn’t damage everyone in such severe ways. It’s different if you’ve got a child who’s parents are interested in taking them to school etc but this is not the case here.
Just think how far you could have advanced if you'd been to school more!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

17 school days is alot to miss out on, is there no way you can change dates or have to have the holidays on those dates. To me it wouldnt be the fine that would bother me more risking ending up in trouble or even court to justify these absences. I doubt schools or council will be allowed to turn a blind eye to it, we had enough trouble with 10 days on holiday. I did have valid reasons to have holiday at this time and wouldve been prepared to stand up and explain, but i think it would be difficult to explain away 3 1/2 weeks away from school.
Old 18 Jul 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I honestly don't think it matters too much at age 5, and I'm not one for missing school really.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Just think how far you could have advanced if you'd been to school more!
Well I mean for that to happen I wouldn’t have had this disability so that would have been great! However swap the experiences on holiday with my family to more time in school? Not a bloody chance.

I literally don’t want to advance anymore. Seriously I’m not bothered! I cherish those holidays that we couldn’t have gone on if it was one school holidays because of dads job and money. No everyone is career driven, I LOVE my second job. And I have another job purely to pay for holidays and our wedding. If I decided to sack off the holidays and the wedding I would give up this full time job in a heartbeat. I’ve spent today looking at other jobs, I am not interested. Maybe I’d quite like the be a pilot - but with my disability and the cost involved that will NEVER happen. Regardless of wether I had been to school every waking minute of my life.

School is not the be all and end all that people make out. You can get places even if you have a holiday in term time. Life experience is much more important. A degree is a bit of paper at the end of the day, it doesn’t neccesarily mean you can do the job!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by janeg88 View Post

In England (from 2015), the threshold for a ‘persistent absentee’ is 10% absence. Schools are required to trigger intervention when this figure is reached and Ofsted would certainly check on actions taken to improve PA.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List