Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 May 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
BA announce £40 PCR test

BA have issued the following information today - I am still trying to find out more on the exact details.

"British Airways is selling a £40.41 COVID PCR test to clients from today.

It is one of the cheapest tests on the market for British travellers who need proof of a negative test for entry to their destination.

BA’s airline’s CEO Sean Doyle said: “We are working hard to drive down the costs.”

The home test kit is available to BA customers from Eurofins, which guarantees results 24 hours after receiving the sample but says its standard service is dependent on Royal Mail delivery times.

Premium tests, with courier collection and guaranteed results within 24 hours of the pick-up, cost £107.91."

Edited - this is the Eurofins link from the BA website
eurofins/ba-pcr-testing-kits/

I have not yet read the full T&C's though and I must stress this is not a recommendation or endorsement on my behalf and other tests are available.

Coronavirus tests page from ba.com
britishairways/en-gb...ests#departure

Edited at 11:07 AM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

£107!
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Pretty sure this was announced yesterday.

Good news, but like all these test solutions there is that inherent "post risk". Do you chance the regular post will get your test there on time, if at all, or pay the hefty premium to make sure?

Tell me punk, do you feel lucky? 😂

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Pencilcase
Trying for More Ears

You could always try the way we did back in December when my daughter had to return to Belgium, where she lives. We found a PCR test centre that had its lab within 50 miles of where We live. So, they sent the test , we did it on the right day and took it ourselves to the lab. Results are emailed so no hassle. There are lots of companies that have the drop the test of yourself facility. Far more the further south you get.
Pencilcase is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Pretty sure this was announced yesterday.

Good news, but like all these test solutions there is that inherent "post risk". Do you chance the regular post will get your test there on time, if at all, or pay the hefty premium to make sure?

Tell me punk, do you feel lucky? 😂
I agree Bozza the post element is a concern especially if anyone has problems in their area and it is such a shame that companies are charging a hefty premium to "guarantee" quicker services. Hopefully as airlines such as Tui, Virgin and BA start to reduce their test costs it will make the cost of travel more realistic for everyone.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Listening to 5Live yesterday, one of the first Brits out in Portugal went through a drive-thru testing station at Gatwick and had the result within four hours. That feels like a safe option to take.

She also said her testing costs, including when back at home, were £150 all-in which feels remarkably low, to the point I question whether it was correct.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Listening to 5Live yesterday, one of the first Brits out in Portugal went through a drive-thru testing station at Gatwick and had the result within four hours. That feels like a safe option to take.

She also said her testing costs, including when back at home, were £150 all-in which feels remarkably low, to the point I question whether it was correct.
Just looked it up. I think the pre-departure test is £82.50 and you can get Day 2 tests for around the same, and probably less, so £150 is probably in the right ball park.

Part One
Part Two

Edited at 11:55 AM.
Old 18 May 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
I agree Bozza the post element is a concern especially if anyone has problems in their area and it is such a shame that companies are charging a hefty premium to "guarantee" quicker services. Hopefully as airlines such as Tui, Virgin and BA start to reduce their test costs it will make the cost of travel more realistic for everyone.
I think I may well look into getting stuff done at the airport.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

If they offer drive thru testing at Heathrow with results 4hrs later, it would be worth the 20-25 minute drive each way to take us all there and be tested 1 or 2 days before (within 72hrs of flying).
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 21, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
If they offer drive thru testing at Heathrow with results 4hrs later, it would be worth the 20-25 minute drive each way to take us all there and be tested 1 or 2 days before (within 72hrs of flying).
I'm not sure anyone will guarantee results that fast - it tends to me a next day/48-hour guarantee - but I would imagine that is largely to cover themselves.

Or maybe the Portugal holidaymaker got lucky.

I guess as volume of travellers increases, this could slow down the turnaround times too.

Part One
Part Two