Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Jul 16, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Chazy & Ben NY June 2016 - Friday 10th June - Coney Island

We had a bit of a lie in this morning and left after breakfast around 9am I think. The journey was well worth it as it was such a beautiful day to be at the beach!
We got off the subway and walked along the beach from one end to the other and back again.

At this point it was empty but by lunchtime it was much busier! We stopped in the shops and we both brought tshirts and the customary magnet!

We saw some fabulous condos for the retired!

We stopped for lunch at Nathan's! These chips were amazing! Again no note of price but maybe $30.
We both had the plain hotdogs but I had a side of chilli cheese fries and Ben had bacon cheese fries.

The tables are communal outside. As we were eating an American couple maybe in their 60s got talking to us about Brexit, we asked them about Trump, the lady used to go to Uni at Lancaster and they were so lovely.

We stopped for an ice cream and people watched. Ben had a half chocolate & half vanilla and I had a sorbet. Total maybe $10.

Useful tip carry tissues, wet wipes and hand sanitiser!

On the way back to the subway we noticed Grimaldis which was on our list but we decided to eat back in NY later. The signage is pretty cool!

Ben had seen a sweet shop online that he wanted to go to but had only written Rivington! We came out at a subway somewhere in Chinatown and started walking. Think at one point we literally walked round in a block! (We always seem to get lost and end up in Chinatown as we did in San Francisco too!

Luckily for Ben a nice man saw me about to throttle him and gave us directions. For the record it wasn't worth it, Ben spent a little bit but not much.

We then went hunting for a subway station! As we came out of the subway I thought this Chinese man said nice bag nice watch but he actually said would you like to buy a watch or bag! Big groups of Chinese with brochures of fake goods!

One of the few subways with a map!

We had seen Adidas and a few places on the HOHO so we went in search of these!

I had my first macaroni! Ben said I'd hate it but I think because it was cotton candy I liked it!

We went for dinner at Applebee's - NEVER again! It was just rubbish! I like the ipad ordering system for more drinks but that's it! It took me ages to pick off the menu - at this point we'd been seated and had drinks so I felt it'd be rude to leave but wish we had. Ben wanted to try it so I stuck it out for him. Never mind. About $80 for 2 beers, 2 mains and a soda. It was just bland and boring oh and expensive for what it was!

We said goodbye to Times Square and headed back to pack!

Today's purchases

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 16, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Never been to Coney Island, as there's always been too many other things we want to see in a short space of time. Looks good for something different to do though.

Chinatown makes me feel uneasy in NYC, with all those people who want to sell you fake handbags. I just find it all a bit intimidating, so stay clear.

I know what you mean about Applebee's in New York. It's somewhere we went to once for breakfast, but was expensive and rubbish! When we're in Orlando, we usually eat there at least once, but there's hundreds of local places in New York, which are much better. I always feel it adds to the experience too if you avoid the chains - makes me feel a teeny bit like a local (I wish!)
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 16, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I've been eyeing up that Uniqlo tshirt
Coney Island looks like a nice way to spend some time, maybe next time

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 16, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Ooh Coney Island looks amazing!

Food looks OK but I have heard so many bad reviews about Applebees, I don;t think we will ever be giving it a go
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 16, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Coney Island looks fab and so different to being in the centre of the city!
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 16, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Never been to Coney Island, as there's always been too many other things we want to see in a short space of time. Looks good for something different to do though.

Chinatown makes me feel uneasy in NYC, with all those people who want to sell you fake handbags. I just find it all a bit intimidating, so stay clear.

I know what you mean about Applebee's in New York. It's somewhere we went to once for breakfast, but was expensive and rubbish! When we're in Orlando, we usually eat there at least once, but there's hundreds of local places in New York, which are much better. I always feel it adds to the experience too if you avoid the chains - makes me feel a teeny bit like a local (I wish!)
It is intimidating

We said we'd avoid chains so bit annoyed we wasted our last night here but never mind! Wish I was a local!
Old 5 Jul 16, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by NatsyNoo View Post
I've been eyeing up that Uniqlo tshirt
Coney Island looks like a nice way to spend some time, maybe next time
Good taste Yes definitely go back but you've got lots of beautiful beaches to see on your trip
Old 5 Jul 16, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Ooh Coney Island looks amazing!

Food looks OK but I have heard so many bad reviews about Applebees, I don;t think we will ever be giving it a go
It was lovely! Don't waste your time or money for sure!
Old 5 Jul 16, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Yorkie Girl View Post
Coney Island looks fab and so different to being in the centre of the city!
I know right! Such a nice change!
Old 24 Aug 16, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
loonatuc
Excited about Disney

Coney Island looks great

Just booked to go with hubby and 16yr old son next easter so just looking at what to include. Roughly how long did the journey take to Coney Island?

Loving the trip report