Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Feb 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
Just to say - as poster mentions Delta - Delta do indeed employ this policy! We travelled Delta from San Juan to JFK a few weeks back and as it was a full flight they were requesting people checked in bags at the gate as we were boarding. They targetted people with very large bags and it was indeed very full in the luggage racks when we got onboard. The staff said its quite common with internal US flights as you never get free checked bags so people bring huge cabin luggage and then get it checked for free at the gate.
When we were waiting to board our delta flight from JFK to mco there was an American passenger with a full size suitcase which was put into the hold for free (thankfully).

I can’t see the point of going hand luggage only just to save a small amount of time...we’ve never waited more than 10 - 15 mins for our cases max.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

For me it's not about the time saving. Too many other variables cause delays to worry about it.

My main reason for travelling carry on only is because I don't need to take more things than that. So why take a larger case just because I can? Sometimes I even check in my carry on, if I don't feel like wheeling it around the airport that day.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

Can be easily done if you buy your toiletries when you get there and have laundry facilities

ITs not for me though, I like to buy too much
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Beccas Dad
slightly serious Dibber

Never ever ever would we contemplate going to the states with hand luggage only.

Honestly don’t know how anyone going for more than a few nights stay could do so.
Beccas Dad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Beccas Dad View Post
Never ever ever would we contemplate going to the states with hand luggage only.

Honestly don’t know how anyone going for more than a few nights stay could do so.
We were going for a week only, it was warm and sunny. We don't need more than a few t-shirts, shorts and swimwear. Easy peasy.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beccas Dad View Post

See I'm the opposite ... I look at families at Gatwick departures with full to bursting massive cases each including kids and I boggle just what the heck they have packed beyond shorts and t shirts for Florida.
Even last year with wedding dress, wedding suits and more dressy stuff for a cruise we didn't need that much for three weeks

I'd rather do laundry once or twice in three weeks (sitting by the pool with a cocktail whilst it's on) than spend all that time packing and unpacking and a laundry mountain once home LOL
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
For me it's not about the time saving. Too many other variables cause delays to worry about it.

My main reason for travelling carry on only is because I don't need to take more things than that. So why take a larger case just because I can? Sometimes I even check in my carry on, if I don't feel like wheeling it around the airport that day.
I did that on an indirect , didn't feel like wheeling my carry on as I had time for a meal at transit in Chicago (I think it was) before flying to Baltimore . It was delivered to where I was staying 24 hours later as it missed the internal flight. Wished I'd not bothered checking it in for that last leg lol
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List